Magna, wapentake of Agbrigg, 3 miles
S. from Wakefield. Here is the seat of
the Rev. Wm. Wood.
Woodthorpe, W. R. (8). See
Woolley, W. R. (8) a township
in the parish of Royston, wapentake of
Staincross, 5 miles N. from Barnsley ;
inhabitants, 482 ; a perpetual curacy ;
patron, G. W. Wentworth, Esq. Wool-
ley Park is the seat of G. W. Went-
Wool Knowle, N. R. (5) a ham-
let in the township and phrish of Hov-
ingham, wapentake of Rydale, 7 miles
W. from Malton.
Woolley Edge, W. R. (8) a ham-
let in the preceding township.
Worlds End, W. R. (5) a hamlet
in the township of Bilton with High
Harrogate, parish of Knaresborough,
wapentake of Claro, 2 miles S. W. from
Wormley Hill, W. R. (8) a ham-
let in the to wnship of Sykehouse, parish
of Fishlake, wapentake of Strafforth and
Tickhill, 2 miles N. from Thorne.
Worrall, W. R. (8) a hamlet in
the township of Bradfield, parish of
Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth
and Tickhill, 5 miles N. W. from
Worsall, High, N. R. (2) a
township in the parish of Northaller-
ton, wapentake of Allertonshire, 4
miles S. W. from Yarm ; inhabitants,
154 ; a chapelry to Northallerton.
Worsall, Low,.N. R. (2) a town-
ship in the parish of Kirk Levington,
wapentake of Langbarugh, 3 miles S.
from Yarm; inhabitants, 217.
Worsborough, W: R. (8) a town-
ship in the parish of Darfield, wapen-
take of Staincross, 3§ miles S. from
Barnsley; inhabitants, 1392; a cha-
pelry to Darfield. This pleasant vil-
lage was anciently called Washinburgh,
and in the reign of Edward IV. was the
estate of his brother, George Duke of
Clarence, supposed to have been suffo-
cated in a butt of malmsey wine in the
Tower. At Worsborough are Darley
Hall, the seat of William Newman,
Esq. ; Ouslethwaite House, the seat of
William Elmshirst, Esq.; and Wors-
borough Hall, the seat of Francis Ed-
munds, Esq. At Worsborough was
born a forgotten controversial divine,
on the catholic side, Obadiah Walker :
his best work, the Greek and Ro-
man History, illustrated by coins and
medals, 1692, is happily designed,
though little known.
Wortley, W. R. (8) a township in
the parish of Tankersley, wapentake of
Staincross, 8 miles N. from Sheffield;
inhabitants, 940 ; a perpetual curacy ;
patron, Lord Wharncliffe. In this
township is Conduit House, the seat
of the Rev. Dr. Corbett; and here is
Wortley Hall, the seat of Lord Wharn-
cliffe, the ancient domain of the Wort-
ley family. In the century before the
last, Taylor, the water poet, paid a
visit to Sir Francis Wortley, at this
place, and has given an amusiug pic-
ture of the great gratification which he
received from the knights hospitality.
Wortley, Upper and Lower,
W. R. (5) a township in the parish of
Leeds, wapentake of Morley, 3 miles
W. from Leeds ; inhabitants, 3126.
Here is a chapel of ease to Leeds.
Worton, N. R. (1) affiamlet in the
township of Bainbridge, parish of Ays-
garth, wapentake of Hang West, 1
mile S. E. from Askrigg.
Wothersome, W. R. (5) a town-
ship in the parish of Bardsey, wapen-
take of Skyrack, 5 miles S. from We-
therby ; inhabitants, 16.
Wragby, W. R. (8) a parish in the
wapentakes of Osgoldcross, Staincross,,
and Agbrigg, 5 miles S. W. from Pon-
tefract ; a perpetual curacy; patron,
Chas. Winn, Esq. Wragby is not a
township, its inhabitants being distri-
buted in the townships of West Hard-
wick, Hasle, Monk Hill, Ryhill, and
Wintersett. Entire population, 554.