bury. This place takes its name from
a ford, at each end of the village, which
the inhabitants were formerly obliged
to wade through. Here is an alms-
house, for two poor persons, founded
by Dr. Peter Samwaise, in 1698; also
a free school for all the children of the
village. The parish contains the town-
ships of Melmerby, Middleton Quern-
how, and Norton Conyers. Entire po-
Wath, N. R. (5) a township in the
parish of Hovingham, wapentake of
Rydale, 8 miles W. from Malton ; in-
Wath upon Dearn, W. R. (8) a
parish and township in the wapentake
of Strafforth and Tickhill, 6 miles N.
from Rotherham ; inhabitants, 1001 ;
a vicarage, value 15/. 10s. 2%d.; pa-
tron, Christ Church College, Oxford.
The parish contains the townships of
Brampton Bierlow, Upper Hoyland,
Swinton, and Wentworth. Entire po-
Watton, E. R. (6) a parish and
township in the division of Bainton
Beacon, 5 miles S. from Great Drif-
field ; inhabitants, 307; a perpetual
curacy; patron, Richard Bethell, Esq.
Watton Abbey is the seat of Digby Le-
gatd, Esq. At this place was a nunnery
so early as the year 686, which was de-
stroyed probably by the Danes. About
1150, Eustace Fitz-John founded a
priory for Gilbertine nuns, and for
thirteen canons, in a place almost sur-
rounded by water; some few remains of
the ancient structure yet merit the at-
tention of the antiquary.
Waxholme, E. R. (6) a township
in the parish of Owthorne, wapentake
of Holderness, 13 miles E. from Hull;
Wayworth, N.R. (2) a small
hamlet in the township of Commondale,
parish of Kildale, wapentake of Lang-
barugh, 5 miles S. E. from Guis-
Weadland, E. R. (6) a small ham-
let in the township of Hempholme, pa-
rish of Leven, wapentake of Holder-
ness, 5 miles S. E. from Driffield.
Weardley, W. R. (5) a township
in the parish of Harwood, wapentake of
Skyrack, 6 miles W. from Otley; in-
Weathercoat Cave, W.R. (4).
Weaverthorpe, E. R. (6) a pa-
rish and township in the wapentake of
Buckrose, 4 miles N. E. from Sled-
mere ; inhabitants, 334; a vicarage,
value 9/. 6s. 0%d.; patron, the Dean
and Chapter of York. The parish con-
tains the townships of East and West
Lutton. Entire population, 645.
Weel, E. R. (6) a township in the
parish of St. Johns, Beverley, wapen-
take of Holderness, 1§ mile E. from
Beve^ey; inhabitants, 101.
Weel and, W. R. (8) a small ham-
let in the township of Hensall, parish
of Snaith, wapentake of Osgoldcross,
2 miles N. W. from Snaith.
Weeton, E. R. (6) a hamlet in the
township and parish of Wei wick, wa-
pentake of Holderness, 3 miles S. E.
Weeton, W. R. (5) a township in
the parish of Harwood, wapentake of
Claro, 6§ miles N.E. from Otley ; in-
Weetwood Hall, W. R. (5) a
hamlet in the township of Headingley,
parish of Leeds, wapentake of Skyrack,
3§ miles N. W. from Leeds.
Weighton, Market, E. R. (6) a
parish, township, and market town,
in the division of Holme Beacon, 9§
miles W. from Beverley, 19 S. E. from
York, 192 from London; inhabitants,
1724; a vicarage, value 4/. 13s. 9d.;
patron, the Prebendary of Weighton in
York Cathedral; market, Wednesday;
fairs, May 14, Sept. 25. *This brisk
little market town, seated at the foot
of the Wolds, has made great ad-
vances in improvement within a few
years; a navigable canal to the Hum-