Tinker Brook, W.R. (8) a ham-
let in the township of Bradfield, parish
Of Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth
and Tickhill, 7 miles N. W. from
Tinsley, W. R. (8) a township in
the parish of Rotherham, wapentake
of Strafforth and Tickhill, 4 miles N.E.
from Sheffield ; inhabitants, 327 ; a
ehapelry to Rotherham.
Tithe Dale, W. R. (8) a hamlet
in the township and parish of Fishlake,
wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, 4
miles N. W. from Thorne.
Tocketts, N. R. (2) a township in
the parish of Guisborough, wapentake
of Langbarugh, mile N. E. from
Guisborough; inhabitants, 46. In this
pleasant village was an ancient chapel,
founded by a family of the same name:
the township is sometimes called Plan-
Tockwith, (5) a township in the
parish of Bilton in the Ainsty, 7 miles
N. from Tadcaster ; iuhabitants, 436.
Todber, W. R. (4) a hamlet in the
township of Rimington, parish of Gis-
burn, wapentake of Staincliffe, 2 miles
S. from Gisburn.
Todmorden, W. R. (7) a town-
ship and market town, chiefly in the
parish of Rochdale, Lancashire, but a
part in the parish of Halifax, wapen-
take of Morley, 11 miles S.W. from
Halifax, This is a flourishing district,
situated in a delightful valley.
Todwick, W. R. (8) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Straf-
forth and Tickhill, 7 miles S. E. from
Rotherham ; inhabitants, 210 ; a rec-
tory, value 6l. 14s. 7d.; patron, the
Duke of Leeds. Todwick Grange is the
seat of George Fox, Esq.
Tolesby, N. R. (2) a hamlet in the
township and parish of Marton, wapen-
tage of Langbarugh, 6 miles N. from
Stokesley. Tolesby Hall is the seat of
John Rudd, Esq.
Tollerton, N. R. (5) a township
in the parish of Alne, wapentake of
Bulmer, 4 miles S. from Easingwold;
inhabitants, 481; fair, August 15. This
village is supposed to derive its name
from its being one of the places where
travellers on entering the forest of
Galtres, paid a certain toll, for the use
of a guide and protector against the
robbers and wild beasts which infested
Tollingham, E. R. (6) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Holme on
Spalding Moor, division of Holme
Beacon, 5 miles S.W. from Market
Tom Cross, W. R. (4) a small N
hamlet in the township of Cowling, pa-
rish of Kildwick* wapentake of Stain-
cliffe, 7 miles W. from Keighley.
Tong, W. R. (5) a township in the
parish of Birstall, wapentake of Mor-
ley, 6 miles S. W. from Leeds ; inha-
bitants, 1893 ; a perpetual curacy;
patron, John Plumbe Tempest, Esq.
Tong Hall, the seat of Colonel Tem-
pest, is a stately mansion, built in 1702.
Tontine Inn, N. R. (2). See
Topcliffe, N. R. (5) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Bird-
forth, 7 miles N. E. from Ripon; in-
habitants, 659 ; a vicarage, value 19/.
19s. 2t/.; patron, the Dean and Chap-
ter of York; fairs, July 17 and 18.
Here is a grammar school endowed in
1549. Topcliffe has been distinguished
by several remarkable events ; it was
in ancient times, the chief residence of
the Percies, Earls of Northumberland;
the ruins of their mansion, called the
Maidens Bower, are yet visible, about
half a mile south from the village ; in
this house, Henry the fourth Earl was
murdered by the populace, in 1489, for
enforcing a tax imposed in the reign
of Henry VII., by the advice of Empson
and Dudley; and here was Charles I.
a prisoner to the Scottish army, when
the treaty was carried on by their com-
missioners, with those of the parlia-
ment, to sell their sovereign for the