Tankersley, W. R. (8) a parish
and township in the wapentake of
Staincross, 5 miles S. from Barnsley ;
inhabitants, 625 ; a rectory, value 26l.
Os. 2%d.; patron, Earl Fitzwilliam.
Tankersley Hall, now in ruins, situ-
ated in sn extensive park, was an an-
cient seat of the Wentworth family.
The parish contains the township of
Wortley. Entire population, 1565.
Tanshelf, W. R. (8) a town-
ship in the parish of Pontefract, wa-
pentake of Osgoldcross; inhabitants,
356. This place adjoins Pontefract on
Tansterne, or Tanston, E. R.
(6) a hamlet in the township of West
Newton, parish of Aldborough, wa-
pentake of Holderness, 11 miles N. E.
Tanton, N. R. (2) a hamlet in the
township and parish of Stokesley, wa-
pentake of Langbarugh, 3 miles N.
Tapton Grove, W. R. (8). See
Tees, N. R. (2) a river which di-
vides Yorkshire on,the north from the
principality of Durham, but taking its
rise in Westmoreland, it is not gene-
rally considered as a Yorkshire river;
it is navigable for vessels of a large
burden, from its mouth to Yarm,
where the spring tides rise seven feet.
Telphit, N. R. (1) a small hamlet
in the'township and parish of Marske,
wapentake of Gilling West, 6 miles W.
Temple, N. R. (1) a hamlet in the
township and parish of West Witton,
wapentake of Hang West, 7 miles W.
Terrington, N. R. (5) a parish
and township with Wigginthorpe, in
the wapentake of Bulmer, 8 miles W.
from Malton; inhabitants, 617; a rec-
tory, value 23/. 185. 6%d.; patron, Dr.
Waddilove. The parish contains the
township of Ganthorpe. Entire popu-
Thackber House, N. R. (2) a
hamlet in the township of Borrowby,
parish of Lythe, wapentake of Lang-
barugh, 11 miles E. from Guisbo-
Temple Hurst, W. R. (8). See
Temple Newsam, W. R. (5) a
township in the parish of Whitchurch,
wapentake of Skyrack, 4 miles E.
from Leeds; inhabitants, 1166. The
Knights Templars had their chief seat
in London, but they were accustomed
to send a part of their faternity to dis-
tant places, where they were governed
by a commander, or preceptor, whence
these establishments were called pre-
ceptories; and such an institution here
existed, which gave an additional ap-
pellation to the village, it being called
in Domesday Book, merely Newhu-
sum; the manor was bestowed upon
the brotherhood by William de Villers,
about the year 1180. At the suppression
of the order of the Knights Templars,
it was given to the DArcy family, and
continued with them till forfeited by
Lord DArcy, for the active part which
he took in the insurrection, called the
Pilgrimage of Grace. Henry VIII.
conferred Temple Newsam on the Earl
of Lenox, father of Henry Earl of
Darnley, husband of Mary Queen of
Scots; the chamber here in which
this unlucky personage, the gude
King Henry, was born, was dis-
tinguished about a century ago by the
name of the Kings Chamber, but no
such apartment is at present known.
The estate reverted to the crown in the
reign of James I., who gave it to his
kinsman, Esme Stuart, Duke of Rich-
mond, of whom it was purchased by Sir
Arthur Ingram, the son of a wealthy
citizen of London, afterwards created
Lord Irvine, and ancestor of its pre-
sent possessor, the Marchioness of
Hertford. Sir Arthur took down the
ancient mansion, and erected a mag-
nificent structure of brick, the shell