into the Ure at Myton : the Swale has
been called the Jordan of England,
owing to the Roman missionary Pau-
linus having baptized in one day up-
wards of 10,000 Saxon converts in its
waters. The Swale is scarcely capable
of navigation, being shallow, rapid, and
subject to violent floods; an act of par-
liament was once obtained for rendering
it navigable to ‘Northallerton, but the
work though began was never completed.
Swale Field, N. R. (2) a hamlet
in the township of Malton, parish of
Ainderby Steeple, wapentake of Gilling
East, 4 miles N. E. from Bedale.
Swale Hall, N.R. (1) a hamlet
in the township and parish of Grinton,
wapentake of Hang West, 1 mile S.
from Reeth. Swale Hall, now a farm
house, was for many generations a seat
of a family of the same name, the last
of whom, Sir Solomon Swale, died in
the year 1733: the baronetcy was
created in 1660 : the family held lands
of the crown, but had for many years
omitted to renew their lease, which be-
ing observed by a clerk of tbe exche-
quer, he procured a grant of this estate
for himself; many law-suits ensued,
but they served only to increase the
misfortunes of Sir Solomon, the first
baronet, who died a prisoner in the
Fleet, in 1678, but not before his adver-
sary had committed suicide: after this
tragical story, we may indulge in the
pleasantry of the celebrated cause,
Stradling versus Styles, in which Sir
John Swale, of Swale Hall, in Swale
Dale, fast by the river Swale, haring
bequeathed all his black and white
horses to his friend Matthew Stradling,
Gent.; the jet of the argument was to
prove whether pie-bald horses came
under either description; the court,
after great deliberation, gave judgment
for the plaintiff, but a motion on arrest
of judgment being put in, that the pie-
bald horses were mares, an inspection
was prayed, et sur ceo le court advisare
vult. This admirable legal satire is
altogether fictitious, no such 'person as
Sir John Swale having been known
Swallow Hill, W. R. (8) a ham-
let in the township and parish of Dar-
ton, wapentake of Staincross, 3 miles
N.W. from Barnsley.
Swanland, E. R. (9) a township in
the parish of Ferriby, wapentake of
Hullshire, 6 miles W. from Hull; in-
habitants, 418. The views from this
village are deservedly admired, both for
extent and beauty: here is the seat of
John Todd, Esq., and Swanland Hall,
the seat of Nicholas Sykes, Esq. '
Swarcliffe, W.R. (5) a hamlet in
the township of Birstwith, parish of
Hampsthwaite, wapentake of Claro, 4
miles S.W. from Ripley. Swarcliffe
Hall is the seat of J. Greenwood, Esq.
Swarthey, W. R. (4) a hamlet in
the township of Silsden, parish of Kild-
wick, wapentake of Staincliffe, 4 miles
N. from Keighley.
Swetton, W. R. (5) a hamlet in
the township of Laverton, parish of
Kirkby Malzeard, wapentake of Claro,
5 miles N. from Pateley Bridge.
Swift Place, W. R. (7) a hamlet
in the township of Soyland, parish of
Halifax, wapentake of Morley, 6 miles
S. W. from Halifax.
Swillington, W.R. (5) a parish
and township in the wapentake of Sky-
rack, 6 miles E. from Leeds; inhabi-
tants, 510 ; a rectory, value 16Z.l5.8r/.;
patron, Sir John Lowther, Bart. Here
are 4 alms-houses founded by Sir Wil-
liam Lowther, in 1728. Leventliorpe
Hall is the seat of Thomas Ikin, Esq.
and Swillington Hall is the seat of Sir
John Lowther, Bart.
Swincliffe, W. R. (5) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Hampstli-
waite, wapentake of Claro, 3 miles S.W.
Swinden, W.R. (4) a township in
the parish of Gisburn, wapentake of
Staincliffe, 4 miles N. E. from Gisburn;
Swindon, and Swindon Walls,
W.R. (7) two hamlets in the township of