neighbourhood. The church is an an-
cient structure, and contains the family
vault of Lord Downe. At the west end
of the town stands an old hall, formerly
the residence of the Yarborough family.
The parish is very extensive, and con-
tains the numerous townships of Ar-
myn, Balne, Carleton, Cowick, Goole,
Gowdall, Heck, Hensall, Hooke, Pol-
lington, and RawelUfe. Entire popu-
Snape, N. R. (2) a township hr the
parish of Well, wapentake of HangEast.
3 miles S. from Bedale ; inhabitants,
699. Here is an hospital for eight poor
persons, with a free school annexed,
founded, in 1605, by the Earl of Exe-
ter and his Countess. The chief em-
ployment of the place is wool combing.
Snape Hall, the residence of the Miss
Clarkes, Is a very ancient mansion, in
somewhat a dilapidated condition; it is
probably of the age of Henry VIII. :
Thorpe Perrow, or Thorpe Hall, in
this township, is the seat of Mark
Snaygill, W. R. (4) a hamlet in the
township and parish of Skipton, wapen-
take of Staincliffe, 1 mileS. from Skipton.
Snaysholme, N. R. (1) a hamlet
in the township of Hawes, parish of
Aysgarth, wapentake of Hang West.
2£ miles S. W. from Hawes.
Sneaton, N. R. (3) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Whitby
Strand, 2 miles S. from Whitby; inha-
bitants ,251; a rectory, value 13/. 2s. fid.;
patron, the King. Sneaton Castle the
seat of James Wilson, Esq. is in the
adjoining township of Ruswarp and
parish of Whitby.
Sneaton Thorpe, N. R. (3) a
hamlet in the township and parish of
Sneaton, wapentake of Whitby Strand,
4 miles S. from Whitby.
Snilesworth, N. R. (2) a hamlet
in the townships of Arden, andBilsdale
West Side, parish of Hawnhy, wapen-
take of Birdforth, 10 miles N. W. from
Helmsley. This is an extensive valley,
through which runs the river Rye.
Snowden, Upper and Lower,
W. R. (4) two hamlets in the township
and parish of Weston, wapentake of
Claro, 12 miles N. E. from Bingley.
Snowdon Hill, W. R. (8) a ham-
let in the township of Hunshelf, parish
of Penistone, wapentake of Staincross,
2 miles S. E. from Penistone.
Snow Hill, W.R. (8) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Wakefield,
wapentake of Agbrigg, 1 mile N, from
Snydall, W. R. (8) a township in
the parish of Normanton, wapentake of
Agbrigg, 4 miles W. from Pontefract;
inhabitants, 119. Snydall Hall is the
seat of Thomas Hodson, Esq.
Sober Gate, N. R. (2) a hamlet in
the township of Newby Wiske, parish
of Kirkby Wiske, wapentake of Gilling
East, 4 miles S. from Northallerton;
adjoining is the small hamlet of Sober
Hill, and at a short distance to the
north, though in the adjoining parish
of Ainderby Steeple, are the extensive
nursery grounds called Low Sober.
Softly., W. R. (7) a hamlet in the
township of Thurlstone, parish of Pe-
nistone, wapentake of Staincross, 5
miles W. from Penistone.
Soot Hill, Upper and Nether,
W. R. (8) a tow-nship in the parish
of Dewsbury, wapentake of Agbrigg,
2 miles N. from Dewsbury; inhabi-
tants, 3099. These two villages form
one township; the tower of Soothill
chapel was rebuilt in 1765 : tradition
reports that the great hell, called Black
Tom of Soothill, was given by^Sir Tho-
mas Soothill, as a compensation for
the murder of a boy whom he threw
into the forge dam.
Sour Leys, N. R. (2) a hamlet in
the township of Rievaulx, parish of
Helmsley, wapentake of Rydale, 2£
miles N. W. from Helmsley.
Squthburn, E.R. (6) a township
in the parish of Kirkburn, division of
Bainton Beacon, 4 miles S. W. from
Driffield; inhabitants, 105.
Southcoates, E.R. (6) a town-