Pofpleton, Upper, or Land, (5)
a township in the parish of St. Mary
Bishop Hill the Younger, York, in the
Ainsty, 4§ miles N. W. from York ;
inhabitants, 346 ; a perpetual curacy;
patron, the Archbishop of York.
Portington, E. R. (5) a township
with Cavile, parish of Eastrington, wa-
pentake of Howdenshire, 9 miles E.
from Selby ; inhabitants, 98.
Pot Grange, N.R. (4) a small
hamlet in the township of Hilton, pa-
rish of Masham, wapentake of Hang
West, 8 miles N. from Pateley Bridge.
Pot Ovens, W. R. (8). See Wren-
Potter Newton, W. R. (5) a
township in the parish of Leeds, wa-
pentake of Skyrack, 2 miles N. from
Leeds, inhabitants, 672. This town-
ship is an exceedingly pleasant part of
the parish of Leeds.
Potterton, W. R. (5) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Barwick-
in-Elmet, wapentake of Skyrack, 6
miles S, from Wetherby. Potterton
Lodge is the seat of Edward Wilkin-
Pottoe, or Pottowe, N. R. (2) a
township in the parish of Whorlton,
wapentake of Langbarugh, 6 miles
S.W. from Stokesley; inhabitants, 207.
Preston, E.R. (6) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Holder-
ness, 8 miles E. from Hull ; inhabi-
tants, 828 ; a vicarage, value 12/.; pa-
tron, the Sub-dean of York. The pa-
rish contains the township of Lelley.
Entire population, 947.
Preston, Great, W. R. (5) a
township in the parish of Kippax, wa-
pentake of Skyrack, 7 miles E. from
Leeds'; inhabitants, 478.
Preston, Little, W. R. (5) a
hamlet in the preceding township.
Preston, Long, W.R. (4) a pa-
rish and township in the wapentake of
Staincliffe, 4§ miles S. from Settle; in-
habitants, 733; a vicarage, value
10/. 18s. l\%d.; patron, the Dean and
Canons of Christ Church, Oxford.
Fairs, March 1, September 4. Here
are 10 alms-houses for 10 poor per-
sons. The parish contains the town-
ships of West Halton, Hellifield, and
Wigglesworth. Entire population, 1681.
Preston Under Scar, N. R. (1)
a township in the parish of Wensley,
wapentake of Hang West, 3 miles W.
from Leyburn ; inhabitants, 378. In
this township is Bolton Hall, the seat
of the Hon. T. Orde Powlett; the man-
sion was built by the first Duke of
Bolton, in 1678 : here is an eminence
called Scarth Neck, over which passes
the high road from Richmond to Lan-
Prickett Hill, E. R. (5) a ham-
let in the township of Newsholme with
Brind, parish of Wressle, division of
Holme Beacon, 8 miles E. from Selby.
Priesthorpe, W. R. (4) a hamlet
in the township and parish of Bingley,
wapentake of Skyrack, half a mile S.
Priesthorpe, W. R. (5) a ham-
let in the township and parish of Cal-
verley, wapentake of Morley, 5 miles
W. from Leeds.
Providence Green, W. R. (5) a
hamlet in the township of Green Ham-
merton, parish of Whixley, wapentake
of Claro, 6 miles E. from Knares-
Provost Fee, E. R. (6). See
Pudsey, W. R. (5) a township in
the parish of Calverley, wapentake of
Morley, 6 miles W. from Leeds; in-
habitants, 6229; a chapelry to Cal-
verley. This populous clothing village
is divided into three parts, High, Low,
and Chapel Pudsey; about a quarter
of a mile distant from each other.
Purlewell Hall, W. R. (8). See
PuRSTON ^ACKLING, W.R. (8) a
township in the parish of Feather stone,
wapentake of Osgoldcross, 2 miles S.W.
from Pontefract; inhabitants, 244. In