seat of Lord Mauley; the site is dis-
cernible, but there are no vestiges of
Junction, W. R. (7) a hamlet in
the township of Quick, parish of Roch-
dale, Lancashire, wapentake of Agbrigg,
4 miles N.W. from Dobcross.
Kearton, N. R. (1) a hamlet in
the township of Melbecks, parish of
Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West, 3
miles W. from Reeth.
Keasden, W. R. (4) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Clapham,
wapentake of Ewcross, 7 miles W.
Keasdon, N, R. (1). See Muker.
Kebcote, or Kirkby Cot, W. R.
(7) a small hamlet in the township of
Stansfield, parish of Halifax, wapentake
of Morley, 10 miles W. from Halifax.
Kebroyd, W. R. (7). See Soyland.
Keighley, W. R. (4) a parish,
township, and market town, in the wa-
pentake of Staincliffe, 4 miles N.W.
from Bingley, 40 W.S. W. from York,
206 from London; inhabitants, 9223 ;
a rectory, value 21 /. 0s. 7§<f.; patron,
the Duke of Devonshire; market, Wed-
nesday; fairs, May 8, November 7.
Here is a grammar school, founded in
1715, by John Drake. Keighley is si-
tuated in a deep valley, near the south-
west bank of the river Aire, over which
there is a stone bridge; it may be con-
sidered as the north-western boundary
of the manufacturing district. Worsted
is the staple of Keighley, though both
the cotton and linen manufactures are
here carried on with great spirit; the
Leeds and Liverpool canal passing
within two miles, adds much to the
prosperity of the town : the church is
modern, but it contains two ancient
gravestones, with an inscription pur-
porting to be of the date 1023, the age
of king Canute, obviously fictitious,
as on the monument are engraved two
shields with armorial bearings, which
device was not in use till a century and
half later. Keighley has a small race-
course, the only half mile of level
ground in the parish; near the town
is East Wood House, the seat of Wil-
liam Sugden, Esq.
Keld, N.R. (1) a hamlet in the
township of Muker, parish of Grinton,
wapentake of Gilling West, 2 miles N.
from Muker. Here was formerly a
chapel, which was demolished in a riot
in the sixteenth century; on its site is a
meeting-house of the Independent de-
Keldholme, N. R. (2) a hamlet
in the township and parish of Kirkby
Moorside, wapentake of Rydale, 1 mile
E. from Kirkby Moorside. Here was
once a nunnery, not a vestige of which
remains; on its site is an oil and
Kelfield, E. R. (5) a township in
the parish of Stillingfleet, wapentake
of Ouse and Derwent, 5 miles N. from
Selby; inhabitants, 286, Kelfield Hall
is the seat of Bernard Hague, Esq.
Kelk, Great, E.R. (6) a town-
ship in the parish of Foston, wapen-
take of Dickering, 6 miles E. from
Driffield; inhabitants, 158.
Kelk, Little, E. R. (6) a town-
ship, extra-parochial, in the wapentake
of Dickering, 6 miles E. from Drif-
field; inhabitants, 51.
Kellbrook, W. R. (4) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Thornton,
wapentake of Staincliffe, 7 miles S, E.
Kellingley, W. R. (8) a hamlet
in the township of Beaghall, parish of
Ivellington, wapentake of Osgoldcross,
5 miles E. from Pontefract.
Kellington, W.R. (8) a parish
and township in the wapentake of Os-
goldcross, 6 miles E. from Pontefract;
inhabitants, 283; a vicarage, value
9/. 8s. ll^r/.|; patron, Trinity College,
Cambridge. The parish contains the
townships of Beaghall, Egbrough, and
Whitley. Entire population, 1328.
Kelton, N.R. (1) a hamlet in the
township of Mickleton, parish of Ro-