of Agbrigg, 2§ miles S.W. from Wake-
field; inhabitants, 2475; a ehapelry to
Wakefield. The chapel is modern,
erected at the expense, and after the
design of the late eminent architect,
Mr. Carr, a native of this place, and
is at once a monument of his skill and
Hordron, W. R. (7) a small ham-
let in the township of Langsett, parish
of Penistone, wapentake of Staincross,
5 miles S. W. from Penistone.
Hornby, N. R. (2) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Hang
East, 5 miles N. W. from Bedale ; in-
habitants, 102; a vicarage, value 6/.
15s.6rf.; patron, the Dean and Chapter
of York. Hornby Castle, the seat of the
Duke of Leeds, was the last fortress
erected in Richmondshire: it is a spa-
cious structure of mixed architecture,
and of different ages ; but the effect of
the whole is grand and imposing, and it
commands a noble prospect, combin-
ing many picturesque advantages. The
parish contains the townships of Ain-
derby and Hackforth. Entire popu-
Hornby, N. R. (2) a township
in the parish of Great Smeaton, wa-
pentake of Aflertonshire, 8 miles N.
from Northallerton; inhabitants, 238.
Hornby Grange is the seat of Henry
Hornington, (5) a hamlet in the
township and parish of Bolton Percy,
in the Ainsty, 2§ miles S.E. from
Hornsea, E. R. (6) a parish, town-
ship,. and market town, in the wapen-
take of Holderness, 12 miles N.E. from
Beverley, 45 E. from York, 195 from
London; inhabitants, 790; a vicarage,
value 13/. 3s. Ad.; patron, the King;
market, Monday, but somewhat dis-
used; fairs, August 12, December 17.
This village, now bordering on the
ocean, was once twelve miles from the
shore, and the sea is making almost
daily encroachments. Hornsea has
of late become a fashionable watering
place; it consists of four straggling
streets, with a market-place. The
church is a spacious structure, and
was formerly noted for its lofty spire,
serving for a sea-mark, hut which was
destroyed by a hurricane more than a
hundred years since. Hornsea Mere is
a lake, covering from 4 to 500 acres ;
it is interspersed with several wooded
islands, and some parts of the edge
have been embanked, and planted with
alders : it abounds with excellent fresh-
waterfish, and is enlivened by the resort
of various aquatic birds: it is nearly
two miles in length, and three quarters
of a mile wide, and, except Malham
Water, is the only lake in Yorkshire.
Hornthwaite, W. R. (8) a small
hamlet in the township of Thurlstone,
parish of Penistone, wapentake of Stain-
cross, 1 mile W. from Penistone.
Horsehouse, N. R. (1) a hamlet
in the township of Carlton High Dale,
parish of Coverham, wapentake of Hang
West, 7 miles S. W. from Middleham;
a ehapelry to Coverham.
Horsforth, W. R. (5) a township
in the parish of Guiseley, wapentake of
Skyrack, 6 miles N. W. from Leeds ;
inhabitants, 2824. This populous vil-
lage is chiefly occupied in the woollen
manufacture ; an episcopal chapel was
erected here in 1758. Horsforth Hall
is the seat of the Rev. J. A. Rhodes.
Hors hold, W. R. (7) a hamlet in
the township of Erringden, parish of
Halifax, wapentake of Morley, 8 miles
W. from Halifax.
Horton in Ribblesdale, W. R.
(4) a parish and township in the wa-
pentake of Ewcross, 5£ miles N. from
Settle; inhabitants, 558 ; a perpetual
curacy; patron, Dr. Holden. Here is
a free grammar school of great note,
founded in 1725, by John Armistead.
In this parish are the sources of the
Ribble and the Wharfe; to the east is
PennigentHill, a towering mountain, at
whose base are two frightful chasms,