tonshire, 6 miles S. E. from Bedale;
Holme, W. R. (7) a township in the
parish of Almondbury, wapentake of
Agbrigg, 8 miles S. from Huddersfield;
Holme, W. R. (5) a small hamlet
in the township of Darley, parish of
Hampsthwaite, wapentake of Claro, 4
miles W. from Ripley.
Holme, W. R. (8) a small hamlet
in the township and parish of Owston,
wapentake of Osgoldcross, 4 miles N.
Holme, North, N. R. (5) a town-
ship in the parish of Kirkdale, wapen-
take of Rydale, 10 miles, N. W. from
Malton; inhabitants, 24.
Holme, South, N. R. (5) a towfi-
ship in the parish of Hovingham, wa-
pentake of Rydale, 8 miles N. W. from
Malton; inhabitants, 66.
Holme on Spalding Moor, E. R.
(5) a parish and township in the divi-
sion of Holme Beacon, 4§ miles S.
from Pocklington; a vicarage, value
10/.; patron, St. Johns College, Cam-
bridge ; inhabitants, 1518. This vil-
lage is remarkable for a hill, of no
great elevation, which commands an
extensive prospect over the surround-
ing flat country. Here is a large brick
mansion, built at various periods, the
seat of the Hon. C. Langdale ; and also
Holme House, the seat of B. J. Clark-
Holme on the Wolds, E. R. (6)
a parish and township in the division
of Bainton Beacon, 5 miles N. E. from
Market Weighton ; inhabitants, 138 ;
a perpetual curacy; * patron, the Duke
Holme Beacon, E. R. (5, 6) one
of the four divisions of the extensive
wapentake of Hart Hill; it is hounded
on the north by Wilton Beacon, on the
west by the river Derwent, on the south
by Howdenshire, and on the east by
Bainton and Hunsley Beacons. It con-
tains 1 market town, 25 townships, 12
of which are parishes ; 1379 houses ;
and 8569 inhabitants.
Holmefirth, W. R. (7) a hamlet
in the township of Wooldale, parish of
Kirkburton, wapentake of Agbrigg, 7
miles S. from Huddersfield; a ehapelry
to Kirkburton; fair, October 30. This
populous village is singularly situated
at the base, and on the acclivities of
three lofty hills ; its inhabitants are
chiefly occupied in the woollen cloth
Holme Houses, or High Holme,
W. R. (4) a hamlet in the township and
parish of Keighley, wapentake of Stain-
cliffe, 2 miles W. from Keighley.
Holme House, W. R. (4) a small
hamlet in the township of Fountains
Earth, parish of Kirkby Malzeard, wa-
pentake of Claro, 3 miles N. W. from
Holmes, W. R. (8) a hamlet in the
township of Kimberworth, parish of Ro-
therham, wapentake of Strafforth and
Tickhill, 1§ mile W. from Rotherham.
Holmpton, E. R. (9) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Hol-
derness, 4 miles E. from Patrington ;
inhabitants, 256; a rectory, value
4/. 5s. Ad.; patron, the King. The
boundaries of this parish, adjoining
Hollym, are difficult to ascertain. In
this parish is the seat of Richard La-
cey, Esq.; Rysome, the seat of G. H.
Sherwood, Esq., is in the township of
Holmpton, but in the parish of Hollym.
Holtby, N. R. (5) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Bulmer,
5 miles N. E. from York ; inhabitants,
170 ; a rectory, value 8/.; patroness,
Holtby, N. R. (2) a township
with Ainderby Myers, in the parish of
Hornby, wapentake of Hang East, 3
miles N. from Bedale; inhabitants,
79. Holtby House is the seat of Tho-
mas Robinson, Esq.
Holwick, N. R. (1) a township in
the parish of Romaldkirk, wapentake
of Gilling West, 7 miles N. W. from