pentake of Staincliffe, 1§ mile N. from
Skipton; inhabitants, 861. Here was
anciently a priory, which was translated
to Bolton; its site is occupied by an ex-
cellent modern residence called Emb-
Em ley, W.R. (8) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Agbrigg,
8 miles S.W. from Wakefield; inhabi-
tants, 1351; arectory, value 14/. 0$. 7^.;
patron, the Hon. R. L. Savile.
Emmotland, E. R. (6) a small
hamlet in the township and parish of
North Frodingham, wapentake of Hol-
derness, 5 miles S.E. from Driffield.
Emswell, E.R. (6) a township with
Kelleythorpe in the parish of Great
Driffield, division of Bainton Beacon,
2 miles W. from Driffield; inhabi-
EnDcliffe Hall, W. R. (8). See
Enter Common, High and Low,
N. R. (2) two small hamlets in the town-
ship and parish of Great Smeaton, wa-
pentake of Gilling East, 8 miles N.
Enthorpe, E. R. (6) a small ham-
let in the township and parish of Lund,
division of Bainton Beacon, 4 miles
N. E. from Market Weighton.
Eppleby, N.R. (1) a township in
the parish of Gilling, wapentake of
Gilling West, 8 miles N. from Rich-
mond; inhabitants, 157.
Eppleworth, E. R. (6) a hamlet
in the township and parish of Cotting-
ham, division of Hunsley Beacon, 4§
miles S. from Beverley.
Erringden, W.R. (7) a township
in the parish of Halifax, wapentake of
Morley, 7 miles W. from Halifax; in-
Eryholme, or Eyreholme, N.R.
(2) a township in the parish of Gilling,
wapentake of Gilling East, 10 miles N.
from Northallerton; inhabitants, 177;
a chapelry to Gilling. This village is
situated on the banks of the Tees.
Esc rick, E. R. (5) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Ouse and
Derwent, 6 miles S. from York ; inha-
bitants, 548 ; arectory,value23/.3s.9</.;
patron, Bielby Thompson, Esq., whose
seat of Escrick Hall, was formerly pos-
sessed by Sir Thomas Knivet, gentle-
man of the privy chamber to James I.,
and afterwards created baron of Es-
erick; he was sent to search the vaults
beneath the parliament house, and
there discovered the barrels of gun-
powder, with Guy Fawkes, who was to
have fired the train, and thus prevented
the success of that diabolical project.
Esholt, W. R. (4) a township in
the parish of Guiseley, wapentake of
Skyrack, 5 miles N. from Bradford;
inhabitants, 355. Esholt Hall, the mag-
nificent seat of Joshua Crompton, Esq.
occupies the site of a priory of Cister-
cian nuns, founded in the 12th century;
a few pointed arches in some of the
offices, alone remain to indicate the
existence of such a fabric.
Eshton, W. R. (4) a township in
the parish of Gargrave, wapentake of
Staincliffe, 5 miles N. W. from Skipton;
inhabitants, 69. Eshton Hall is the
seat of Matthew Wilson, Esq.; near
which is a remarkable well, whose water
is without any petrifying quality in its
own basin, but after a course of 200
yards, acquires that power in a very
Eskdale Side, N. R. (3) a town-
ship in the parish of Whitby, wapen-
take of Whitby Strand; inhabitants,
395. Here are the remains of a small
chapel formerly belonging to Whitby
abbey, and is mentioned as having
existed in 1224; it stands on the site of
a building in which a hermit was slain
by some hunters in chase of a wild boar,
and was said to have been built by some
of their descendants, who, by way of
penance, held their lands of the abbey,
by, cutting down with a knife, a certain
quantity of stakes, and carrying them
to Whitby haven. A new chapel was
erected some years ago, to which the