Burton Salmon, W. R. (8) a
township in the parish of Monk Fryston,
wapentake of Barkston Ash, 5 miles
N. from Pontefract; inhabitants, 182.
Burton upon Ure, N. R. (2) a
township in the parish of Masham,
wapentake of Hang East, 2 miles N.
from Masham ; inhabitants, 170. This
township consists chiefly of scattered
farm houses, one of which is called
High Burton, another Low Burton
Hall, and another Burton House.
Burythorpe, E. R. (5) a parish
and township in the wapentake of Buck-
rose, 5 miles S. from Mai ton; inha-
bitants, 216 ; a rectory, value 16/. 16s.
3d.; patron, the King. This village
presents another Yorkshire instance of
extraordinary longevity, Francis Con-
sith having died here in 1768, at the age
Busby, Great, N.R. (2) a town-
ship in the parish of Stokesley, wapen-
take of Langbarugh, 2 miles S. from
Stokesley; inhabitants, 117.
Busby, Little, N. R. (2) a ham-
let in the township of Great Busby,
parish of Stokesley, wapentake of Lang-
barugh, 3 miles S. from Stokesley.
Busby Hall is the seat of the Rev. G.
Busby Stoop, N.R. (2). See Hut-
Busker, W. R. (8) a hamlet in the
township of Skelmanthorpe, parish of
High Hoyland, wapentake of Stain-
cross, 6 miles N. from Penistone.
Buslingthorpe, W.R. (5) a ham-
let in the township and parish of Leeds,
wapentake of Skyrack, 1 mile N. from
Butterbusk, W. R. (8) a hamlet
in the township and parish of Warms-
worth, wapentake of Strafforth and
Tickhill, 4 miles S.W. from Doncaster.
Buttercrambe,N.R. (5) a town-
ship in the parish of Bossall, wapen-
take of Bulmer, 10 miles N. E. from
York; inhabitants, 235. This pleasant
village is situated on the Derwent; on
an adjacent eminence stands Aldby
Park, the noble mansion of Henry
Darley, Esq., the site of which appears
to have been once a Roman station,
and afterwards a royal Saxon village.
Butterthwaite, W. R. (8) a
hamlet in the township and parish of
Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth and
Tickhill, 5 miles N. from Sheffield.
Butterwick, N. R. (5) a town-
ship in the parish of Barton le Street,
wapentake of Rydale, 5 miles N. W.
from Malton; inhabitants, 50.
Butterwick, E. R. (6) a town-
ship in the parish of Foxholes, wapen-
take of Dickering, 9 miles N. from
Driffield; inhabitants, 93 ; a chapelry
to Foxholes. Here is Falconers Hall,
a seat of the late Col. Thornton.
Button Hill, W. R. (8) a hamlet
in the township of Ecclesall Bierlow,
parish of Sheffield, wapentake of Straf-
forth and Tickhill, 3 miles S. from
Sheffield. Here is the seat of John
Byland, N. R. (5) a township in
the parish of Coxwold, wapentake of
Birdforth, 6 miles N. from Easing-
wold ; inhabitants, 372. Here, situated
in a rich valley, are the picturesque re-
mains of Byland Abbey, once a large and
magnificent structure, founded by Roger
de Mowbray, in 1177, for an abbot and
some monks of the Cistercian order,
who had been driven by the Scots from
Furness, in Lancashire: this religious
fraternity had been fixed at two other
places in the neighbourhood, but finally
settled at Byland; the monastery con-
tinued till the general dissolution in
1540 ; its revenues, according to Speed,
were 295/. bs. id.
Byland, Old, N. R. (2) a parish
and township in the wapentake of Bird-
forth, 4 miles N.W. from Helmsley;
inhabitants, 133; a perpetual curacy;
patron, Sir George Wombwell, Bart.;
the chapel is in ruins.
Byram, W. R. (8) a township with
Poole in the parish of Brotherton,