Darton, wapentake of Staincross, 3
miles N. W. from Barnsley.
Broates, W. R. (2) a hamlet in the
township and parish of Pickering, wa-
pentake of Pickering Lythe, 2 miles N.
Brockholes, W. R. (8) a hamlet
in the township and parish of Drax,
wapentake of Barkston Ash, 4 miles
N. E. from Snaith.
Brodsworth, W. R. (8) a parish
and township with Pigburn, in the wa-
pentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, 4
miles N. W. from Doncaster; inhabi-
tants, 417 ; a vicarage, value 6l. 6s.
10A; patron, the Archbishop of York.
A large estate and mansion here, was the
property and seat of Dr. Drummond,
Archbishop of York ; it was sold by his
son, the Earl of Kinnoul, to the late
Peter Thelluson, Esq. and is now vested
in trustees, according to the direction
of the singular will of the latter wealthy
capitalist; the mansion is at present
Brogden, or Brockden, W. B.
(4) a township in the parish of Bar-
noldswick, wapentake of Staincliffe,
4 miles S. W. from Skipton; inhabi-
Bromfleet, E.R. (9) a township
in the parish of South Cave, division of
Hunsley-Beaeon, 4 miles S. W. from
South Cave; inhabitants, 142.
Brompton, N. R. (3)\a parish and
township, in the wapentake of Pickering
Lythe, 8 miles S.W. from Scarborough;
inhabitants, 516; a vicarage, value 12/.;
patron, Sir George Cayley, Bart. The
church of this village is remarkable
both for size and beauty. Brompton
is usually considered as the birth-place
of John of Brompton, the monkish his-
torian, whose Chronicon reaches from
the year 558 to 1198, a work valuable
for its collection of Saxon laws, but it
is doubtful whether this person were the
author, or that he merely presented it
to the monastery of Jerveaux, of which
he was abbot. Brompton Hall is the
seat of Sir George Cayley, Bart., whose
family have resided here for two cen-
turies, but who were originally from
Norfolk. This parish contains the
townships of Sawdon, Snainton, and
Troutsdale. Entire population, 1303.
Brompton, N. R. (2) a township
in the parish of Northallerton, wapen-
take of Allerton shire, If mile N. E.
from Northallerton; inhabitants, 1223.
Here is a considerable linen manufac-
ture. In this township is Standard
Hilty where the memorable battle of
the Standard was fought, in the reign
of King Stephen, 1138, between David
King of Scots and some English Ba-
rons, in which the Scots were totally
defeated : a lofty pole, with a banner,
having a silver crucifix at its summit,
having been erected on a waggon, gave
this appellation to the contest.
Brompton Patrick, N.R. (2).
See Patrick Brompton.
Brompton Potter, E. R. (6) a
township with Gunton, in the parish
of Gunton, wapentake of Dickering, 9
miles W. from Hunmanby; inhabi-
tants, 27 8.
Brompton upon Swale, N.R. (2)
a township in the parish of Easby, wa-
pentake of Gilling East, 3 miles E. from
Richmond; inhabitants, 388.
Brook Bottom, W.R. (7) aham-
' let in the township of Quick, parish of
Rochdale, Lancashire, but in the wa-
pentake of Agbrigg, 3 miles S. W. from
Brook Foot, W.R. (7) a hamlet
in the township of South Owram, pa-
rish of Halifax, wapentake of Morley,
3f miles S.E. from Halifax.
Brook House, W.R. (7) a hamlet
in the township of Langsett, parish of
Penistone, wapentake of Staincross, 4
miles S.W. from Penistone.
Brook House, W. R. (8) a hamlet
in the township and parish of Laugh-
ton en le Morthen, wapentake of Straf-
forth and Tickhill, 5 miles S.W. from