remarkably fine ; a wide street termi-
nates at an ancient gateway; the market-
place is spacious, and adorned with a
handsome cross. The principal trade of
Beverley consists in coals, corn, malt,
oatmeal, and tanned leather, to which
the canal from the town to the Hum-
ber, cut in 1727, called Beverley Beck,
affords great facilities. A singular pri-
vilege, attached to the free burgesses
of Beverley, is the right each one pos-
sesses of pasturage over no less than
1174 acres of fertile land, in the four
commons ofWestwood, Hurn, Figham,
and Swine Moor, for 13 head of cat-
tle, under certain regulations, at a
trifling charge. The vicinity of Be-
verley, towards the west, is elevated
and pleasant, and here is situated the
race-course, but to the east and south
flat and uninviting ; the soil, however,
is greatly improved by drainage. The
town contains a house of correction for
the East Riding, an office for the re-
gistry of wills, a guildhall, a theatre,
and several places of worship for vari-
ous classes of the dissenters. Amongst
the eminent men born here, may be
reckoned John Alcock, Bishop of Ely,
who died in 1500, the founder of Jesus
College, in Cambridge: John Fisher,
Bishop of Rochester, a pious, sincere,
and learned prelate, who paid, with the
loss of his head, for his opposition to
the supremacy of Henry VIII. 1535 ;
candour must not deny him the merit
of a martyr, though he perished as
the champion of the church of Rome :
John Green, Bishop of Lincoln, who
died in 1779, an elegant scholar, and
one of the writers of the Athenian Let-
ters, published by the Earl of Hard-
wicke : Robert Ingham, died 1804, au-
thor of A View of the great Events
of the Seventh Plague and Dr. Henry
Revel Reynolds, a celebrated physician.
A mile to the east is Grove Hill, a very
ancient landing place for goods. In
the liberties of Beverley are the town-
ships of Eske, Molescroft, Stork Hill
with Sandholme, Thearn, Tickton, Well?
and Woodmansea. Entire population,
Beverley Parks, E.R. (6) a ham-
let in the township of Woodmansea,
parish of'St. John, Beverley, division
of Hunsley Beacon, If mile S.E. from
Be we r ley, W. R. (5) a township
in the parish of Ripon, wapentake of
Claro, 8 miles N. W. from Ripley; in-
habitants, 1408. This district abounds
with valuable mines of lead. Rewer-
ley Hall is the seat of John Yorke, Esq.
Bewholme, E.R. (6) a township
with Nunkeeling, in the parish of Nun-
keeling, wapentake of Holderness, 3f
miles N.W. from Hornsea; inhabitants,
243. This place is pleasantly situated
on an eminence, commanding an exten-
sive view of the surrounding country.
Bewick, E. R. (6) a hamlet in the
township of East Newton and parish of
Aldborough, wapentake of Holderness,
7 miles S. E. from Hornsea.
Bickerton, (5) a township in the
parish of Bilton, in the Ainsty, 4 miles
N.E. fromWetherby; inhabitants, 149.
Bickley, N. R. (3) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Ebberston,
wapentake of Pickering Lythe, 9 miles
W. from Scarborough.
Biekley, East, W. R. (4) a hamlet
in the township of North Bierley, but
in the parish of Birstall, wapentake of
Morley, 4 miles S. E. from Bradford.
Bierley, North, W. R. (4) a
township in the parish of Bradford,
wapentake of Morley, 2§ miles S. E.
from Bradford; inhabitants, 607 0.
Here is a chapel, but not consecrated.
In this township are Bierley Hall, the
seat of Miss Currer; and Royds Hall,
the seat of C. Dawson, Esq.
Biggin, W. R. (5) a township in
the parish of Church Fenton, wapen-
take of Barkston Ash, 6£ miles N. W.
from Selby ; inhabitants, 164. The
Teazle, Dipsacus Fullonum, so much
used in dressing woollen cloth, was first