let in the township of Knedlington
and parish of Howden, wapentake of
Howdenshire, 1 mile N. from How-
Barningham, N. R. (1) a parish
and township, in the wapentake of Gil-
ling West, 2 miles S. from Greta Bridge;
inhabitants, 384 ; a rectory, value 19/.
17s. Id.; patron, the King. Barning-
ham Hall is the seat of MarkMilbanke,
Esq. This parish is situated on the
borders of Arkengarth Forest, and con-
tains the townships of Hope and Scar-
gill. Entire population, 564.
Barnoldwick, W.R. (4) a hamlet
in the township of Burton, parish of
Thornton, in Lonsdale, wapentake of
Ewcross, 11 miles N. W. from Settle.
Barnoldswick, or Gillchurch,
W. R. (4) a parish and township, in
the wapentake of Staincliffe, 9 miles S.
W. from Skipton ; inhabitants, 1334 ;
a perpetual curacy; patron, Sir John
Lister Kaye, Bart. Here was once a
monastery, founded in 1147, but the
abbot and monks disagreeing with the
rector and parishioners, pulled down
the church, and soon after removed to
Kirkstall; the present church seems
to have been built soon after this trans-
action, and being placed on the brink
of a deep glen or gill, was called Gill-
church. This parish contains the
townships of Brockden, Coates, and
Salterforth. Entire population, 2350.
Barnsdale, W. R. (8) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Kirk Smea-
ton, wapentake of Osgoldcross, 6 miles
S. E. from Pontefract.
Barnsdale Lodge, W. R. (8) a
hamlet in the township and parish of
Campsall, wapentake of Osgoldcross,
7§ miles S. E. from Pontefract.
Barns Green, W. R. (8) a hamlet
in the township and parish of Eccles-
field, wapentake of Strafforth and
Tickhill, 5 miles N. from Sheffield.
Here is an hospital, called Barns Hall,
endowed in 1638, by Sir Richard Scott*
Bart, for six poor people.
Barnside, W.R. (7) a hamlet in
the township of Hepworth and parish
of Kirk Burton, wapentake of Ag-
brigg, 6 miles N. W. from Penistone.
Barnsley, W. R. (8) a market
town and township in the parish of
Silkstone, wapentake of Staincross, 10
miles S. from Wakefield, 59 miles S.S.E.
from York, 172 miles from London ;
a ehapelry to Silkstone; inhabitants,
8284 ; market, Wednesday; fairs, the
Wednesday before 28th February, May
13, October 11 ; the petty sessions for
the wapentake of Staincross are held
here. In 1665 a free grammar school
was founded by Thos. Keresforth, gent.
This place has been called Black Barns-
ley, either from the smoke of its nu-
merous forges giving a dingy hue to the
houses, or from the dreary appearance
of the circumjacent moors; though
other authorities think the appellation
should be bleak, on account of the ex-
posed situation of the town, which is
seated upon the declivity of a hill.
Though this place has little to interest
the antiquary, it is tolerably well built
with stone, and possesses many flou-
rishing manufactures—that of wire is
the most ancient, and is much cele-
brated for its excellence ; as is also one
for black glass bottles; but the manufac-
ture of flax, in its various departments
of weaving and bleaching, seems latterly
to have obtained the chief attention.
Excellent coal mines supply an abun-
dant source of fuel, and here are two
extensive iron-founderies ; much of the
land in the vicinity is distinguished for
its fertility; and, in addition to these
advantages, Barnsley enjoys an inland
navigation, affording a communication
with all parts of the kingdom, conse-
quently the place has become highly
wealthy and flourishing.
Barnsley Canal, W. R. (8) com-
mences at Barnby Bridge, near Caw-
thorne, from whence are several rail-
ways to Barnsley; it is a cut from the
Dearn and Dove canal, and, proceeds