with, and Litton, Entire population,
Arncliffe Cote, W. R. (4) a
hamlet in the township and parish of
Arncliffe, wapentake of Staincliffe, 11
miles N. E. from Settle. In this place,
about the year 1579, one Tristram
Knowles and his father had occupied a
tenement upwards of 120 years.
Arnforth, W. R. (4) a hamlet in
the township of Hellifield and parish of
Long Preston, wapentake of Staincliffe,
miles S. from Settle.
Arnold, E. R. (6) a township with
Routon and North Skirlaugh, in the
parish of Swine, wapentake of Holder-
ness, 7 miles E. from Beverley; in-
ArUam, E. R. (6) a hamlet in the
township and parish of Leckonfield,
division of Hunsley Beacon, 4 miles
N. W. from Beverley.
Arram, E. R. (6) a hamlet in the
township and parish of Atwick, wapen-
take of Holderness, 3 miles N. E. from
Hornsea. Arram Hall is the seat of
Thomas Bainton, Esq.
Arras, E. R. (6) a hamlet in the
township and parish of Market Weigh-
ton, division of Holme Beacon, 3f
miles E. from Market Weighton.
Arrathorne, N. R. (2) a town-
ship, partly in the parish of Brompton
Patrick and partly in Hornby, wapen-
take of Hang West, 5 miles S. E. from
Richmond; inhabitants, 64.
Artbington, W. R. (5) a town-
ship in the parish of Addle, wapentake
of Skyrack, 5 miles E. from Otley; in-
habitants, 329. Here was a small con-
vent endowed in the 12th century for a
prioress and her nuns, not a vestige of
which remains ; the site is now occu-
pied by a substantial farm-house, still
called the Nunnery. Arthington Hall,
delightfully situated, is the seat of T.
Ash Day, W.R. (7). See South
- Ash (jtill, N. R. (1) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Coverham,
wapentake of Hang East, 2 miles W.
Askam Bryan, (5) or Great Ask-
am, a parish and township in the Ain-
sty, 4 miles S. W. from York ; inhabi-
tants, 377 ; a vicarage, value 8/.; pa-
tron, Harry Croft, Esq. The church
is an ancient structure, and here is the
seat of Admiral Preston.
Askam Richard, (5) or Little
Askam, a parish and township in the
Ainsty, 5 miles S. W. from York ; in-
habitants, 249 ; a vicarage, value 4/.
13s. Ad.; patron, Harry Croft, Esq.
The church is an ancient and pleasing
edifice. Askam Hall is the seat of
Robert Swan, Esq.
Aske, N. R. (1) a township in the
parish of Easby, wapentake of Gilling
East, 2 miles N. from Richmond ; in-
habitants, 109 ; a straggling village,
in which is Aske Hall, the beautiful seat
of Lord Dundas. The manor was pur*
chased of the last Earl of Holderness,
in 1762, by Sir Lawrence Dundas, in
whose descendants it has since con-
Askern, W.R. (8) or Askron, a
township in the parish of Campsall,
wapentake of Osgoldcross, 7 miles
N. W. from Doncaster ; inhabitants,
159. Here is a piece of water covering
seven acres, called AskernPool, abound-
ing in fish, and which never dries up nor
overflows; a few yards from which
arises a sulphurous spring, which is
advancing to celebrity; its waters have
been analyzed by Dr. Short, and are
found to be nearly similar with those of
Harrowgate, and are nearly as disagree-
able, both in smell and taste, without
possessing a cathartic quality ; they are
esteemed efficacious in rheumatic and
scorbutic disorders, and Askern needs
only the smiles of the presiding deity of
fashion, to vie in reputation with other
watering places which have arisen from
equally small beginnings.
Askrigg, N. R. (1) a market town