in the parish of Kirkby Malham-dale,
wapentake of Staincliffe, 6 miles S. E.
from Settle; inhabitants, 187. This
village is situated on the river Aire;
here is a twist manufacture.
Airyholme, N. R. (5) a town-
ship in the parish of Hovingham, wa-
pentake of Rydale, 8 miles W. from
Malton; inhabitants, 33.
Aisenby, N. R. (5) a township in
the parish of Topcliffe, wapentake of
Hallikeld, 5^ miles N. from Borough-
bridge ; inhabitants, 230. At this place
was born Mary Bateman, the celebrated
Yorkshire witch, who appears to have
been a consummate practitioner in her
profession; she was executed at York,
in 1807, for administering poison to a
man and his wife, by way of a charm,
after she had stripped them of every
thing they possessed in the world, by
her delusive but artful contrivances.
Aiskew, N. R. (2) a township in
the parish of Bedale; wapentake of
Hang East, ■§ mile N. E. from Be-
dale; inhabitants, 620. This village
is separated from Bedale by a brook ;
it contains Leases Hall, the seat of
Aislaby, N. H. (3) a township in
the parish of Whitby, wapentake of
Whitby Strand, 3§ miles S. W. from
Whitby; inhabitants, 253 ; a perpe-
tual curacy, uhited with Whitby.
Aislaby Hall is the seat of Mark
Aislaby, N. R. (2) a township in
the parish of Middleton, wapentake
of Pickering Lythe, 2 miles N. ,W.
from Pickering ; inhabitants, 147.
Aism underby, W. R. (5) a town-
ship with Bondgate, in the parish of
Ripon, wapentake of Claro ; it adjoins
Ripon to the South. Inhabitants, 551.
Two miles to the South, is Hollin
Hall, the seat of H. R. Wood, Esq.
Akeholme, W. R. (8) a hamlet
in the township of Blaxton, parish
of Finningley, wapentake of Strafforth
and Tickhill, 7 miles S. of Thorne.
Aketon, W. R. f(5) fa hamlet in
the township of Follyfoot, parish of
Spofforth, wapentake of Claro, 4 miles
N. W. from Wetherby.
Aldborough, N. R. (2) "a town-
ship in the parish of Stanwick St.
John, wapentake of Gilling West; 7
miles N. E. from Richmond; inhabi-
tants, 544. Vestiges still remaining
indicate this village to have been once
a Roman station, though its particular
name has not been ascertained; here
is Carlton Hall, the seat of S. M. Bar-
Aldborough, y W. R. (5) a bo-
rough, parish, and township, in the
wapentake of Claro, 7 miles S. E.
from Ripon; inhabitants, 484 ; a vi-
carage, value 9/. 19s. 5d.; patron, the
Dean and Chapter of York cathedral.
This borough is governed by a bailiff
appointed by the lord of the manor,
and sends two members to parliament,
the first return of which was in 1542,
by the inhabitants paying scot and lot:
the town is poor, as well as small: it
was undoubtedly the Isurium Brigan-
tium of the Romans, and has always
engaged the attention of antiquaries :
Roman coins, chiefly from Augustus
to Constantine, have frequently been
dug up ; and many other Roman ves-
tiges, such as pavements, urns, and
statues, have been discovered. Isurium
seems gradually to have fallen into
neglect from the superior grandeur
of Eboracum, or York, but it con-
tinued to be a place of some importance
in the times of the Saxons : the most
fatal blow to its prosperity was the
removing of its bridge, over the Ure,
to Boroughbridge, in the reign of
William the Conqueror. The area of
the ancient city is for the most part
'laid out in fields, and the ruins appear
to have raised the surface of the ground
about two feet above the Roman level.
Aldborough contains the townships
of Boroughbridge, Dunsforth high
and low, part of Humburton, N. R.