Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 681
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


WASHINGTON COUNTY.    681

Batten Kil, below Galesville, are 60 ft. high, and well worthy of note. The soil is an excellent
quality of sandy and gravelly loam. Limestone of an excellent quality abounds in this town.
Machinery, agricultural implements, and woolen goods are manufactured at Galesville. Easton
Corners (North Easton p.o.) contains 30 houses-; Easton (p.v.) 17; South. Easton
(p.v.) 15; and Crandalls Corners
8. Parts of ITnlon Village and Galesville1 are
in this town. The date of the first settlement is unknown, but it was probably several years
after the Saratoga Patent
2 was issued. In 1709 a fort3 was built on the hill top, 1 mi. s. of Gales¬
ville, and a few families settled under its shelter; but the dread of Indian hostilities prevented the
settlement from spreading. On the 30th of Nov. 1745, the enemy made a descent upon the place,
filled 30 persons, and took 60 prisoners, including a portion of the garrison, who were decoyed
from the fort by the Indians feigning to be wounded. The remaining part of the garrison burned
the fort and unfinished blockhouses and withdrew, leaving the frontier unprotected. Settlers did
not return until 1760.1 At Schuylerville is a bridge across the Hudson 800 ft. long. The first
religious meeting (Quaker) was held in 1778. A Ref. Prot. D. church was'formed in 1805; Rev.
Philip Duryea was the first preacher
.5

)FORT AM1V—was formed, as “ Westfield,” March 23,1786. Hartford was taken off in 1793,
and Putnam in 1806. It received its present name, April 6,1808, from the old fort erected here in
1709. It lies s. of the southern extremity of Lake Champlain, and s.
e. of Lake George. Its central
and w. parts are occupied by the high and rocky peaks of the Palmertown
3 Mts., here divided into
three distinct ranges,—Palmertown Mt., in the w. part, Mt. Putnam, in the center, and Port Ann
Mts., in the
e. The extreme e. edge of the town is occupied by uplands belonging to the Cossayuna
Range. Diameter Rock and Buck Mt., on the line of Dresden, are the highest peaks, and are
1300 to 2500 ft. above tide. The valleys separating the ranges of the Palmertown Mts. are known
as
“Furnace” and “Welchs Hollow.” The principal streams are Wood Creek, Halfway Creek,
Furnace Hollow Creek, and Podunk Brook. The principal bodies of water are Orebed, Sly, Cope¬
land, Hadlock, and Trout Ponds. The soil in the mountain region is hard and sterile, scarcely
strong enough to support the natural growth of forest trees; but in the valleys it is a gravelly loam
alternating with a stiff clay
.4 Iron5 and woolen goods are manufactured to some extent. Fort
Ann9 (p.v.) has 608 inhabitants; Griswolds Mills (p.v.) about 14houses. West Fort
Ann, (p.o.,) Soutk Bay, Canes Falls, and Comstocks Eanding (p.o.) are small
villages. Fort Ann was one of a chain of military works erected in 1709, to facilitate the exten¬
sive operations then in progress against Canada
.10 It stood upon the w. side of Wood Creek, about
half a mile from the present village of Fort Ann, the Champlain Canal passing partly across the
spot which it enclosed. It was built at the joint expense of England and the Colonies. Artillery
Patent, covering the
e. part of this town, was granted Oct. 24, 1764, to Jos. Walton and 23 other
Provincial officers, in equal shares, irrespective of grade. Settlement was nob generally begun
until after the Revolution. An engagement occurred here, July
8, 1777, between the rear guard
of the retreating American army, under Col. Long, and the advanced guard of the British, under
Col. Hill
.11 In Oct. 1780, a blockhouse in this town was burned by the enemy. The first church
(Bap.) was formed in 1789
;12 Rev. Sherman Babcock was the first pastor.

FOIkT E0WARD—was formed from Argyle, April 10, 1818. It lies upon the e. bank
of the Hudson, near the center of the w. border of the co. A wide intervale extends along the

5 tons of pig iron daily. A forge was built at West Fort Ann in
1828, for making anchors and chain cables.

2 Incorp. March 7,1820.

10 While this fort was in process of erection, a force of 1500
French and Indians were sent to destroy it; but, learning that
Col. Nicholson was posted here with a superior force, they re¬
turned. While the English were awaiting at this place the
opening of a road and the construction of bateaux on Lake
Champlain, a fatal sickness broke out in the camp, and great
numbers died as if poisoned. In October Col. Nicholson re¬
turned with his crippled forces to Albany. Charlevoix states
that this sickness was produced by the treachery of the Indians,
who threw the skins of their game into the swamp above the
camp. It is more probable that it was a malignant dysentery
caused by the: pialaria of the swamps and the extreme heat.

11 The Ameffeans were obliged to retreat in consequence of their
ammunition giving out. They destroyed their works, and felled
trees across the road and creek, obstructing the route to Fort
Edward as much as possible. The removal of these obstructions
caused a delay of several weeks, which finally proved fatal to
the invadiiig army.

12 The first edifice was built in 1810,2 mi. E. of Deweys Bridge,
and is now used as a schoolhouse. There are 6 churches in town;
3 Bap., M. E., Meth. Prot., anc} Free.


1

formerly called “ArkansawThe present name is derived
from John Gale, former proprietor of the village site. See p. 683.

2

This patent was granted Nov. 4,1684, and renewed Oct. 9,
1708. The part E. of the Hudson was 12 mi. long and 6 mi. broad.

3

There are 5 churches in town; 2 M. E., 2 Ref. Prot. D., and 1
Friends.

6 Said to be named from a small remnant of Indians, who were
driven from Conn. and settled here.

4

1 Near Wood Creek, 50 feet above the present surface of the
stream, are found pot holes worn by water, evidently by an
ancient current flowing southward.

5

A blast furnace was built at Mt. Hope in 1826, which makes


PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2