658 TOMPKINS COUNTY.
Dumond, and Peter Hinepaw, who located on the present site of Ithaca Village in 1789. The
land that they occupied had previously been partially cultivated by the Indians.1 The first
church (Presb.) was organized in 1804-05, with seven members.
EANSINR—was formed from Genoa, (Cayuga co.,) April 7, 1817. It lies upon the e. bank
of Cayuga Lake, in the n. part of the co. The surface is principally a rolling upland, 500 ft. above
the lake, bordered by steep declivities. Salmon Creek, the principal stream, flows s. through near
the center of the town. Its valley is narrow and bordered by steep hillsides. Gulf, Townly,
and Hedden Creeks are i^s principal tributaries. The soil is generally a fertile, gravelly loam.
SjUdlowville, j(p. v.,) on Salmon Creek,, about 1 mi. from its mouth, contains 2 churches,
several factories,2 and about 50 dwellings. Eansingville, (p. v.,) on the ridge w. of Salmon
Creek, in the n. part of the town, contains 1 church and 25 dwellings. North Lansing (p. o.,)
in the n. e. corner, Lake Ridge, (p. o.,) on the bluff above the lake, in the n. w. corner, and
Riberty ville (South Lansing p. o.) are hamlets of about a dozen houses each. East Lan¬
sing and Forest City are p. offices. Forest City Water Cure is finely situated on the bluff
overlooking the lake, in the s. part of the town. The first settlement was begun in 1769, by emi¬
grants from N. J.3 The census reports 7 churches in town.4
NEWFIELD—was formed from Spencer, (Tioga co.,) as “Cayuta,” Feb. 22,1811. Its name
was changed March 29, 1822, and a part was annexed to Catharines (Schuyler co.) in 1853. It is
the s. w. corner town in the co. The surface is high and hilly, the ridges being 400 to 600 ft.
above the valleys, and 1,500 to 1,700 ft. above tide. The streams are Cayuga Inlet and Ten Mile
Creek and their branches. The valleys of these streams are usually narrow and bordered by
steep hillsides. A portion of the w. part of the town is yet uncultivated. The soil is a shaly and
clayey loam, best adapted to grazing. Newfield, (p. v.,) in the n. e. part of the town, contains
3 churches, 2 flouring mills, 2 carriage shops, a woolen factory, an oilcloth factory, and about 80
dwellings. Trumbull Corners, (p. v.,) on the n. border, contains 1 church and 20 dwellings.
Poney Hollow (p. o.) is a hamlet in the s. w. part. The first settler was Jas. Thomas, who
located at Poney Hollow.2 The census reports 3 churches in town.®
ITRYSSES—was formed March 5, 1799. Dryden was taken off in 1803, and Ithaca and
Enfield in 1821. It lies upon the w. bank of Cayuga Lake, on the n. border of the co. A range
of bluffs 600 ft. high, with steep declivities, borders upon the lake; and from their summits the
surface spreads out in an undulating upland. The only considerable stream is Taughanick
(Ti-kaw-nik) Creek, which crosses the town from the w. In its descent from the plateau to the
lake this stream forms a series of cascades, the principal of which is known as Taughanick Falls.
These falls have receded about 1 mi. from the shore of the lake, and have worn a deep gorge in
the yielding shales, with banks 380 ft. high. The stream now falls, in an unbroken sheet, over a
limestone terrace 210 ft. in height. About J mi. farther up the gorge is another fall, of 40 ft. The
soil is a fine quality of gravelly loam. Trumansburgli,3 (p. v.,) near the n. border of the
town, is the second village in the co. in amount of business and population. It contains 4 churches,
the Trumansburgh Academy, and several manufacturing establishments.8 Pop. 1,052. Jack¬
sonville^ (p. v.,) near the center of the town, contains 1 church and 50 houses. Water-
burg'b, near the w. border, contains 1 church, mills, and 40 dwellings. . Halsey ville4 is a
hamlet. The first settlements were commenced by Samuel Weyburn, at the mouth of Taughanick
Creek, and by Abner and Philip Tremaine, on the site of Trumansburgh, in 1792.5 The first church
(Presb.) was formed by Jedediah Chapman, in 1803. There are now 6 churches in town.6
1 Among the other early settlers were families named McDowel,
Davenport, Bloom, King, Patchin, Star, Conrad, Markle, Sayers,
and Brink. The first child born was a daughter of John Dumond,
Sept. 1789. The first death was that of Rachel Allen, in 1790.
A man named Lightfoot brought a boat load of goods up the
lake in 1792, and he continued a kind of itinerating trade for
several years. David Quigg opened the first regular store;
Hartshorn kept the first inn; and Jacob Yaple built the first
mill, in 1790. Dr. Frisbee was the first physician, and Howe
the first teacher. The first families were a month in getting
from Kingston (Ulster co.) to Owego, and 19 days from thence
to their destination.
2 Grist and saw mills and an ax helve factory.
3 Among the early settlers were Wm. Goodwin, Silas Ludlow;
Abram Bloom, and families named Beardsley, Depuy, Minier,
Allen, Atwater, and Bowker, who came in 1791; Sam’l Gibbs and
— Holmes, in 1792; and Abram Van Wagner, in 1797. The
first marriage was that of Henry Bloom and Miss Goodwin; and
the first death, that of the wife of Henry Bloom, in 1798. Wm.
Boyse kept the first inn, at Libertyville. The first night of his
4 M. E., 2 Bap., and Presb.
the first mill.
Name derived and corrupted from Tremaine, the first family
Named from Nicoll Halsey, the first settler.
John McLallen. a young man, accompanied the Tremaines
in the capacity of teamster. The first child born was Calvin
Tremaine, in 1794; and the first marriage, that of John McLallen
and Mary King, Dtc. 12,1799. John McLallen kept the first inn,
Henshaw the first store; Abner Tremaine built the first
mill; and Stephen Woodworth taught the first school, all
Trumansburgh. U 3 M. E., Bap., Presb., and R. C.