Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 618
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


618    SENECA    COUNTY.

so gradual that nearly every part is arable. The streams are all small. Near the center of the town
is a cranberry swamp, occupying about 800 acres. The soil is a gravelly loam intermixed with clay.
Bearytown, (Fayette p.o.,) upon the line of Fayette, in the
n.e. part, contains 3 churches, a
steam sawmill, stave factory, and 128 inhabitants, of whom 51 are in this town. Romulus
(p. v.) lies on the s. border. East Varicfe (p. o.) is a landing upon Cayuga Lake. MeDnffie
Town is a hamlet in the s.
e. corner. Tai’icli is a p. o. The first settlement was made by
James McKnight, in 1789.1 There are 3 churches in town; Bap., Presb., and M. E.

WATERLOO—was formed from Junius, March 26, 1829. It lies on the n. bank of Seneca
Biver,
n. w. of the center of the co. The surface is almost one unbroken flat. A marsh extends e.
and w. through the town s. of the center, and another occupies the n. e. corner.2 The bed of Seneca
Kiver, on the s. boundary, is almost level with the general surface. The soil is muck and clay
in the
n. and e., gravel along the sr. border, and a sandy loam in the center and w. Waterloo,
(p. v.,) on Seneca Kiver, near the
e. border of the town, was incorp. April 9, 1824. It is a station
upon the N. Y. C. R. R. and upon the Seneca Canal. A fall of 24J feet in Seneca River furnishes
an excellent water-power, which is mostly improved. It is a half-shire of the co., and contains the
courthouse, 6 churches, the Waterloo Union School, a bank, a large shawl factory,3 3 distilleries, 2
malt houses, 3 flouring mills, 5 sawmills, 2 founderies and machine shops, 2 oil mills, and nume¬
rous other manufactories.4 Seneca River above the falls, being seldom frozen, is navigable through¬
out the year. This village is an important depot of lumber from the s. w. cos., and of coal from the
Susquehanna and Blossburg Mines. Pop. 3,050. South Waterloo, formerly called
“Schoyes
is on the opposite side of Seneca River, in Fayette. Settlement was commenced by John Greene,
from R. I., in 1789.5 The first religious services were held about 1816.®

Acres of Land, Valuation, Population, Dwellings, Families, Freeholders, Schools, Live
Stock, Agricidtural Products, and Domestic Manufactures, of Seneca County.


Names op Towns.

Acres op Land.

Valuation op 1858.

Population.

No. of Dwellings.

No. of Families.

Freeholders.

Schools.

Improved.

1

' •}
e

Real Estate,

Personal

Property.

Total.

1

Females.

No. of
Districts.

Children

taught.

15,646!

3.274#

816,199

160,015

976,214

1,146

1,084

418

432

351

13

894

27,105#

6,425

1,437,514

100.615

1,538,129

1,708

1,662

613

653

491

16

1,165

13.17 2f

3.304

706,478

34.250

740,728

713

702

269

295

228

8

590

17,112

4,483

696,511

67,770

764,281

1,016

1,002

401

402

298

9

424

14,251

3,812f

916,147

201.393

1,117,540

1,098

1.176

424

439

374,

9

1,022

17,977#

5,600

793,589

148,000

941,589

979

900

342

360

251

12

855

11,781#

2,316

1,479,550

481,315

1,960.865

2,511

2.473

836

956

619

10

1,905

Tyre.........................

10,602#

8,438#

402.243

18,100

420,343

717

702

279

283

212

7

648

15.606#

4,468

761,251

52,375

813,626

858

865

340

343

271

11

725

Waterloo...................

8,693#

3,815

1,029,875

359,750

. 1,389,625

1,964

2,082

747

781

526

7

1,574

Total..................

151,949#

45,936#

9,039,357

1,623,583

10,662,940

12,710

12,648

4,669

4,944

3,621

102

9,802

Live Stock.


■§ e „•

g

11 »

S'

5

§

679

1,207

732

3,576

1,390

1,589

1,311

8,290

731

889

727

5,623

763

1,183

732

3,450

688

983

803

3,968

862

933

758

6,134

560

631

598

4,042

577

854

629

4,616

755

717

381

4,276

492

874

465

3,559

7,497

9,860

7,136

47,534


Agricultural Products.

'■s-§

Bush, op Gp.ain.

Tons of Hay.

Bushels of
| Potatoes.

■fe¬

ll

Dairy Products.

Winter.

Spring.

Pounds

Butter.

1#

16,990

11-5,334

1.551

3.197

20,648

70,239

1,550

150

36,082

194,820

4,145

5,20-5

21,622

140,312

400

685

17,870

97.287

2,049

13,718

11,295

8-3,500

5.290

471

13,611

101,248

1,988

4,512

17,734

68.295

414

101

16,129

101,851

1,711#

3,549

26,718

50.068

700

282

10.682#

143.745#

2,160f

1,989

20,024

69.136

700

462#

12,753#

67,435#

2,029#

4.759

12,966

63,095

1,575

99

13,533

80,9-56!

2,043#

10,023

20,696

72.346

1,793

747#

14,553

112,246

1,570#

' 1,706

12,809

52,457

70

217

7,379

68,097#

1,631

23,886

10,766

36,126

1,320

159,583

1,083,121#

20,879!

72,544

175,278

705,574

13,812

3,215


Names op Towns.


1,117

3,272

1,410

1,611

1,167

1,261

4,245

1,019

1,350

1.080


Covert.........

Fayette.......

Junius........

Lodi............

Ovid............

Romulus.....

Seneca Falls.

Tyre............

Varick........

Waterloo......

Total...


s The first child horn was a son of James McKnight, in 1790.

4 The waters of Black Brook which flow through the central
swampy region are impregnated with earthy and vegetable
matter, which gives to them the peculiar quality of clearing the
inside of steam boilers of the incrustations of sulphate and car¬
bonate of lime resulting from the use of hard water.

5 The Waterloo Woolen Manufacturing Co. was organized in
1836, with a capital of $150,000; 200 to 250 hands are employed;

300.000 lbs. of wool are used, and 40,000 long shawls are annu¬
ally manufactured. This is, next to the Bay State Mills, the
largest shawl factory in America.

6 Among these establishments is a plaster mill, boatyard, and
drydock, 4 copper, tin, and sheet iron factories, a fanning mill,
and washboard factory, and 2 cabinet and furniture shops.

1 Among the other early settlers were Jabez Gorham, from
Ballston, (Saratoga co.,) who located upon the present site of
the village. Salmon Disbrow, from Saratoga co., came in about
the same time. The first child born was John Smith, in 1808;
the first marriage, that of Job Smith and Miriam Gorham, in
1799; and the first deaths, those of John Gregory and James
Hull, two Bevolutionary soldiers, who drew lots in this town,
settled upon them, and both died about 1808. Isaac Gorham
taught the first school, in 1810; Jabez Gorham kept the first
inn, about lft>5; Charles Swift, the first store, in 1815; and
James Bear built the first mill, in 1794.

8 The census reports 6 churches in town; Presb., Prot. E.,
Ref. Prot. D., M. E,, Disciples, and Friends.



PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2