Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 580
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


ST. LAWRENCE COUNTY,

lies upon the Racket, about one mi. distant from Massena. Pop. 120. It is a favorite summer
resort. Massena, Center (p.v.) contains about 25 houses, and Racket RiVer (p.v.)
about 20. By the treaty of 1796, a mile square at the mouth of Grass River was reserved by the
St. Regis Indians; and most of the other lands in the town were located on Revolutionary land
warrants before the sale of the rest of the co. Before the treaty the Indians issued unauthorized
leases to different parties; and hence arose much annoyance from conflicting claims.1 The first im¬
provements were made on Grass River, on land leased of the Indians, in 1792. The first settlements
on Revolutionary grants were made in 1798, by Amos Lay and others.2 In 1812 the U. S. Government
erected barracks here, which were occupied 3 months by militia. In Sept. 1813, a party of Cana¬
dians burned the barracks and carried away several prisoners. There are 6 churches in tow n.3

580


MORRISTOWN 4—was formed from Oswegatchie, March 27,1821. A part of Hammond was
taken off in 1827, and a part of Macomb in 1841. It lies between the lower end of Black Lake and
the St. Lawrence. Its surface is gently undulating, rising from either side toward the center. Chip¬
pewa Creek, flowing though the center, is the principal stream. The soil is a gravelly loam and gener¬
ally fertile. Morristown (p.v.) is situated upon the St. Lawrence, Pop. 254. Edwards*
ville5 (p. o.) is a small village on Black Lake, at which point a ferry has been established. Brier
Hill (p.o.) is a hamlet. David Eord—as agent of Gouverneur Morris, the proprietor—made the
first settlement on the site of the village, in 1799.1 John K. Thurbur and Henry Ellenwood made
the first improvement in the vicinity of Edwardsville, in 1810. In 1817-18 several English families
located at a place still known as the “ English Settlement.” There are 7 churches in town.2

NORFOLK.—was formed from Louisville, April 9, 1823. A part of Stockholm was annexed
in April, 1834. A part was annexed to Louisville in 1844. Its surface is moderately uneven.
Racket River, the principal stream, flows diagonally through near the center of the town, and
affords a large amount of water-power, partially improved.3 The soil is generally fertile,
resting upon drift deposits of gravel and marine clay, and all underlaid by calciferous sandstone.
The-
e. partis sandy; and a swamp lies between the Racket and Grasse Rivers. Norfolk
(p. v.) is situated upon Racket River. Pop. about 200. It has manufactories of lumber, shingles,
and articles of wood.
It. ay SM Olid ville4 (p. o.) is a small village on the Racket, below Norfolk.
The first settlement was made by Erastus Hall, in 1809, at Raymondville.5 The Racket was
formerly navigated, to some extent, as far as this place. There are 4 churches in town.11

OSWEGATCHIE6—was formed from Lisbon, March 3, 1802. De Kalb was taken off in
1806, Gouverneur in 1810, Morristown in 1821, and a part of De Peyster in 1825. The surface is
level or gently undulating. Oswegatchie River, the principal stream, affords water-power at
Heuvelton and at Ogdensburgh, which is available most of the year. The soil is a fine quality
of gravelly loam, and is under a good state of cultivation, ©g'dems'burgli,7 (p. v.,) situated
upon the St. Lawrence, is one of the largest and most important villages in Northern New
York. It is the w. terminus of the Ogdensburgh R. R., and stands at the foot of sloop navigation
upon the great lakes and St. Lawrence River, giving to it important commercial advantages. A
limited amount of manufacturing is also carried on, chiefly on the w. side of the Oswegatchie. It
contains the depQts and buildings of the Ogdensburgh R. R.,—among the finest in the co.,—an
academy,14 a townhall,15 U. S. customhouse,16 and an armory.17 Pop. Jan. 1858,7,308. Heuvel-

1 Most of the valuable timber was stolen before settlement.

2 Among the first settlers were Mamri Victory, Calvin Plum-
ley, Bliss Hoisington, Elijah Bailey, David Lyttle, Seth Read,
and Leonard Herrick. Gilbert Read taught the first school, in
1803. Amabel Eoucher was a lessee of the first mill, under the
Indians.    8    2    Cong., Bap., M. E., and R. C.

* Named from Gouverneur Morris, principal proprietor. It
originally embraced the township of
“Hague,” or No. 9 of the
Ten Towns.”

6 Locally known as the “Harrows.” Named from Jonathan S.
Edwards, the first postmaster. On early maps it was marked

A furnace was built at the village in 1825, and supplied with
bog ore. It was burned in 1844.

li M. E., Prot. E., and Presb., at Norfolk, and Presb, at Ray¬
mondville.

1® Pronounced Os-we-gotch'ee; named from the river. It em¬
braces most of No. 8 of the “
Ten Towns.”

18 Named from Sam’l Ogden, the first proprietor. Incorp. in
1817. The unsold lands in and about the village were bought
by David Parish in 1808, the owner of large tracts in the co. He
built an extensive warehouse and several vessels, and laid plans
for a large business, which the war prevented him from realizing.

11 This academy now forms an incorporate part of the public
educational system of the village. The schools are all graded,
and the pupils are advanced, according to attainment, from the
primary schools to the complete academic course. The academy
receives the income from the ferry at this place. In 1857 there
were 7 schoolhouses and 18 teachers. The average number of
pupils on the rolls was 1328, and average daily attendance 755.

15 By special act of 1858 a town hall was erected, at an expense
of $10,000, on the corner of Washington and F’ranklin Sts.

1® The cornerstone of the old French Mission house is placed
over one of its entrances.

17 An appropriation of $110,000 was made in 1857 for a custom¬
house, p. o., and U. S. courtroom. It is to be erected on the site
of the old courthouse, corner of State and Knox Sts.


1

Arnold Smith and Thomas Hill were first settlers on the
river, and H. Harrison, Ephraim Story, and Benj. Tubbs on the
lake. Smith kept the first inn, and Ford built the first house.

2

2 M. E., Presb., Cong., Prot. E,, Evang. Luth., and Union.

3

There is a dam 1 mi. from the R. r. station, near the s. w.
corner of the town, another at Norfolk, and another at Ray-
mondville.

4

• Named from Benj. Raymond, the first agent for this town and
Potsdam. First named “
Hacketon.”

5

Among the early settlers, who came in about 1810, were Eben

6

Brewer. The first death was that of E. Judson, in 1813. The

7

first clearing at Norfolk Village was made tor Le Raj’, in 1811;


PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2