ST. LAWRENCE COUNTY. 579
to remove from Washington co. A fatal epidemic prevailed in town in 1813. In the fall of 1813
a small party of dragoons stopping at the village were surprised by the Canadians; one was shot,
another wounded, and two or three were taken prisoners to Canada. There are 6 churches in town.1
EOEISVIIL1LE2—was formed from Massena, April 5, 1810. Apart of Norfolkywas taken
off in 1823, and a part of the same town was annexed in 1844. It lies upon- the St. Lawrence,
in the n. e. part of the co. The surface is level. Grass River, the principal stream, flowing cen¬
trally through the town, affords a water-power at the village. The soil is a fertile, sandy loam,
underlaid by calciferous sandstone. JL©SMSViI!e?3 (p. o.,) on Grass River, and ILouiSVille
ILaiacIiiag’j (p.o.,) on the St. Lawrence, are hamlets. Cliases Mills (p.o.) is a new settle¬
ment on Grasse River, on the line of Waddington. The water-power at ILoiias’rllle has been
somewhat improved; and 1L. JLasidllstg is a landing for the American line of steamers. The
first settlement was made by Nahum Wilson and Aaron Allen, in 1800.4 The growth of the town
was checked by the war; but it soon revived. There are 2 churches in town ; M. E. and Union.
MACOMB5—was formed from Gouverneur and Morristown, April 3, 1841. A small tract
was annexed from Hammond in 1842. It lies upon the s. shore of Black Lake, in the w. part
of the co. Its surface is broken by ridges of gneiss and white, limestone parallel to the lake. Fish
and Birch Creeks are the principal streams. Pleasant and Yellow or Hickeys Lakes are fine sheets
of water, with rocky shores, in the central part of the town. The soil is a light, sandy loam. The
ridges are often without vegetation, but the valleys are fertile. Several valuable minerals are found
in town.6 Macomb, (p. o.,) on the “ Old State Road,” and Popes Mills, (p. o.,) on Fish Creek,
are hamlets. The first settlements were made upon the “ Old State Road,” about 1805-06J Timo¬
thy Pope made the first improvement at Popes Mills, in 1816. There is 1 church (M. E.) in town,
MADRID8—'was formed from Lisbon, March 3, 1802, and Potsdam was taken off in 1806,
and Waddington in 1859. It lies upon the St. Lawrence, e. of the center of the co. The surface
is level or gently undulating. It is watered by Grasse River, and Brandy and Trout Brooks. Upon
the Grasse Riyer are rapids, from which is derived an immense amount of water-power. The soil
is a light, sandy loam, generally fertile. Columbia Village (Madrid p.o.) is situated at the
falls of Grasse River, 1 mi. from the r. r. station. It is a place of considerable.-business. Pop.
300. The first settlement was made along the St. Lawrence, in 1798, under Joseph Edsall, agent
of the proprietors.9 In Jan., 1814, a party of Canadian militia, under Capt. Sherwood, crossed
the St. Lawrence at Point Iroquois and marched to Columbia Tillage, pressed teams, and carried
off a quantity of merchandise which had been captured upon bateaux in the preceding Oct.
There are 4 churches in town.10
MA§§EYA13—was formed March 3, 1802. Ilopkinton was taken off in 1805, Stockholm in
1806, Louisville in 1810, and Brasher in 1825. It lies upon the St. Lawrence, in the n. e. corner
of the co. The surface is generally level or gently undulating. The principal streams are the
Grass14 and Racket Rivers, which flow through the town in parallel channels 1 to 2 mi. apart.
Its soil is a productive, gravelly and sandy loam. Massena (p, v.) is situated upon Grass River,
at the lower falls. It has a limited amount of manufactures. Pop. 310. Massena Springs15
Briggs, and Hez. Pierce. The first birth was in the family of J.
Tibbe.ts, in 1800. Rev. Alex. Proudfit held the first meetings.
Dr. Jos. W. Smith, the first physician in the co., settled here in
1803 and remained two years.
1 Cong., Asso. Ref. Presb., M.E., Wes. Meth., Ref. Presb., and
Prot. E. (St. Luke’s.)
2 It comprises the greater part of No. 1 of the “ Ten Tovms.”
8 Locally known as “ Millersville,” from Rev. Levi Miller, of
Turin, who came here as agent of McVickar, the proprietor, in 1823.
4 Among the early settlers were John Wilson, Lyman Bost-
wick, Elisha W. Barber, and Griffin Place. The first child horn
was a son of Nahum Wilson; and the first death, that of Philo
Barber. Elisha Barber taught the first school, and N. Wilson
kept the first inn.
6 Named from Alex. Macomb, the great land speculator.
8 Among these are lead, mica, copper pyrites, and blende.
Stock companies have been engaged quite extensively in lead
mining at Mineral Point, on Black Lake, and elsewhere.
7 Among the first settlers were SaniT Bristol, Rufus Wash¬
burn, Sam’l and E. Wilson, and Sam’l Peck.
8 The towns of Madrid and Waddington embrace number 4
of the “Ten Towns,” and are,together. 10 miles square.
9 Among the first settlers were Seth Roberts, Lindsley,
David Niles, Jesse Goss, William and J. Meach, Nelson and
Samuel Gray, John II., A. L., and Zina B. Hawley. Seth Roberts
built the first mills, at Columbia Village, in 1803. J. II. Hawley
kept the first inn, and David Niles the first store. Aber-
nerthy was tbe first Justice. David Haskell, and his sons Israel
P., David L., Daniel. C., and Samuel C., came in in 1806.
10 Cong., M.E.. Univ.. Bap.
11 Named from Marshal Massena, of the French army. -
12 This stream near its mouth is liable to a sudden reversal of
its current by the damming up of the St. Lawrence hy ice iu
severe cold weather. These hack currents have been felt at
Massena Village; and no bridges have been made,to stand below
the lower mills. The water has been known to rise 15 ft. in as
many minutes, and to attain a maximum height of 25 ft. The
lower dam is built to resist the current both ways.
is These springs are saline and sulphurous. Capt. John Polly
built the first public house here, in 1822. A spacious brick hotel
was erected in 1848 to accommodate those who resort here.