Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 571
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


ROCKLAND COUNTY.    571

of the town, contains 3 churches and 40 dwellings.1 ©range Mills j Middletown, and
lilauveltville, (p. o.,) a station on the N. Y. & E. R. R., are hamlets. The first settlement is
supposed to have been made by the Dutch, as early as 1680.2 The first church (Ref. Prot. D.) was
formed Oct. 24, 1694; and the first preacher was Rev. Guilllam Bartholf.3 The first church edifice
was erected in 1716. There are 16 churches in town.1

ItlMAPO—was formed from Haverstraw, March 18,1791, as “New Hampstead.” Its name
was changed to “
Hampstead” March 3,1797, and to Ramapo in 1828. It is the most westerly
town in the co. The Ramapo or Blue Mts. extend
N. e. and s. w. through the w. part.2 They are
steep and rocky, and the valleys between them are deep and narrow. Ranges of rounded and
arable hills extend through the s.
e. half of the town and occupy the greater part of its surface.
The principal streams are Ramapo River, flowing s. through the w. corner, and its tributaries
Maway River and Stony Brook. Niggar and Shepard Ponds, on the line of N. J., in the s. w.
angle, are small bodies of water. The people are principally employed in raising vegetables for
the New York market. Ramapo, (Ramapo Works p. o.,) a station on the N. Y. & E. R. R., in
the w. part of the town, contains 1 church, several manufactories, and 50 dwellings.3 Sufferns,
(p. v.,) near the line of N. J., in the w. part, contains a rolling mill and 20 dwellings. It lies at
the junction of the two branches of the Erie R. R., and is an important station. Sloatsfourglfij
(p.v.,) on the Erie R. R., in the extreme w. part, contains a church, cotton twine factory,4 hoe
factory, and 180 inhabitants. Spring Valley, (p.v.,) on the Piermont Branch of the Erie
R. R., contains a church and 18 dwellings. Mechanics ville, near the center of the town,
contains a church and 15 dwellings. Monsey Depot (Monsey p. o.) is a hamlet. The first
church (Ref. Prot. D.) was formed near the center of the town, Dec. 4, 1774; Rev. Peter Leyt
was the first preacher.5

Acres of Land, Valuation, Population, Dwellings, Families, Freeholders, Schools, Live
Stock, Agricultural Products, and Domestic Manufactures, of Rockland County.

Names op Towns.

Acres op Land.

Valuation op 1858.

Population.

No. of Dwellings.

No. of Families.

1

Schools.

'S

Cl

5-.

1

o

f

e

H

4

8-&

11

§

4

"e

§

§

vi
4'4

1

'S’S
tf?
1

Clarkstown.............

Haverstraw.............

Orangetown............

Ramapo...,..............

15,903£

7,151

9,922

13,5054

16,7424

14,481

3,184

16,445

$1,147,673

819,105

1,692,158

896,417

$227,388

74,950

372,994

303,300

$1,375,061

894,055

2.065,152

1,199,717

1,831

3,706

2,895

1,723

1,681

3,041

2,943

1,691

643

974

986

585

743

1,263

1,210

644

498

348

568

400

9

13

7

12

1,120

2,386

2.012

1,477

Total..............

46,481J

50,852|

$4,555,353

$978,632

$5,533,985

10,155

9,356

3,188

3,860

1,814

41

6,995

Names op Towns.

Live Stock.

Agricultural Products.

S
•1

Ill

114

4

si

•2 e <«•
"2 ^ B

POO

8

<2

§)

•I

*5

Bush, of Grain.

4

v

s

§

S'§5

'I -2

'S1

S o
Kifis

7.9564

3,974

11,726

23,567

It

s a,
(qW

Daiey Products.

1

a

S

11,582

4.3874

6,055

12,521|

5S>

jgi

IkJ
4 4

'S

1 a-1
PL to

Clarkstown.............

Haverstraw............

Orangetown............

Ramapo..................

677

1,873

'418

747

850

499

350

791

1,111

1,64"

73i

1,21?

97

4

82

743

876

483

515

1,311

30,478
9,251 .
17.384
31,7824

4.8244

2.585

3.213

4.2054

1,015

65

.388

1,785

80,033

40,070

35.328

110,575

2,500

1,50ft

_

Total..............

3,715

2,490

4,705

926

3,185

34,5464

88,8954 '14,828

47,2234

3,253

266,006


small book by the pastor, Rev. Mr. Verbryck, for convenience in
carrying when obliged to move from place to place, have been
lost.

4 Ref. Prot. D., Presb., M. E., Af. Meth., and Bap. at Nyack;
Prot. E., Ref. Prot. D., M. E., Bap., and R. C. at Piermont; Ret
Prot. D. and M. E. at Tappantown; Bap. at Middletown; and 3
M. E. at Rockland.

5 Cedar Hill and Table Rock, in the w., Horsepond Mts. and
Pine Hill, in the N.w., and High Mt., on the line of N.J., are
the highest points, and are 500 to 700 feet above tide.

6 These establishments, consisting of a cotton factory, file fac¬
tory, steel works, and car works, are all idle, and only 10 dwell¬
ings are occupied. The whole village is rapidly going to decay.

1 This factory, incorp. in 1854, with a capital of $100,000, gives
employment to 150 hands.

8 There are 7 churches in town; 4 M. E., and 3 Ref. Prot. D.


1

Locally known as Snedens Landing.”

2

Eemusse Van Houten, in 1699. The first school was taught by
Hermanus Van Huysec, from Holland, soon after the first or¬

3

ganization of the church. The first inn is Delieved to have been
kept by Casparus Maybee, in the “Old ’76 House,” now occupied

4

for the same purpose. Abram Maybee built the first mill: his
son, Cornelius Maybee, owned it during the Revolution, but,
espousing the cause of the British, his property was confiscated.

5

A tract of 55 acres was originally donated to this church;
but at different times all but 14 or 15 acres have been sold.
The records of the church during the Revolution, kept in a


PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2