1 A r. r. bridge 1600 feet long, upon this road, crosses the
Hudson at Troy. Connected with it is a common road bridge.
2 These ample facilities for travel are in striking contrast to
the condition of things 60 years ago. By an act of March '30,
1798, Alexander J. Turner and Adonijah Skinner, for a period of
5 years, obtained the exclusive right of running a stage wagon,
drawn by at least two good horses, at intervals of one week, (unless
prevented by badness of roads,) from Troy to Hampton, on the
border of Vermont. They were allowed to charge 5 cts. per mi.
for passengers, and a like sum for every 150 lbs. of baggage over
8 The Northern Centinel and Lansingburgh Advertiser was
started at Lansingburgh, May 15, 1787, by Claxton &
Babcock; it was subsequently removed to Albany.
4 The Iiansinghwrgh G-ascette, started in 1798, was sub¬
sequently for many years published as
The Rensselaer County Gazette, but it is now published under its
first title by Alexander Kirkpatrick.
The Farmers’ Register was started in 1798 at Lansingburgh by
Francis Adancourt; it was removed to Troy a few years
after, where it was published until 1832.
The liansingburgh Democrat was commenced in
Dec. 1838, by Wm. J. Lamb, by whom it is still published.
The Golden Rule was established at Lansingburgh in 1841 by
the Rev. R. W. Smith, and was published several years.
The Juvenile Pearl, of the same place, was started Sept. 1,1845,
by Rev. J. A. Pitman.
The Farmers' Oracle, started at Troy by Luther Pratt in 1796,
was of short duration.
The Northern Budget was started at Troy in 1798 by
Robert Moffitt and Col. Wells, and has been con¬
tinued to the present time, with slight changes of
name. It is now issued as a daily and weekly by F. L.
The Troy Gazette was founded in 1802 by Thomas Collier, and
was discontinued before 1818.
The Troy Post was commenced Sept. 1,1812, by Parker & Bliss,
and was changed July 15,1823, to
The Tray Sentinel, semi-w., and continued until Jan. 1, 1833.
From May 1, 1830, to Aug. 1831, a daily edition was
The Evangelical Restorationist, semi-mo., was commenced in 1825
by Adolphus Skinner.
The Troy Review, or Religious and Musical Repository, began
Jan. 4,1826, and continued 2 years.
The Evangelical Repository (Univ.) was published in 1828.
The Troy Republican (Anti-Masonic) was started in 1828. by
Austin & Wellington, and was continued about a year.
The Northern Watchman (Anti-Masonic) was commenced in
1831 by E. Wellington. In 1832 it was styled
The Troy Watchman, and was. continued one, or two years.
The Gospel Anchor, (Univ.,) started in 1831, was published by
John M. Austin, and afterward by H. J. Green; it was
continued until 1834.
The Troy Press was started in 1832 by Wm. Yates and Seth
Richards, and was continued until July 1,1834. From
1833 a daily edition was issued.
The Troy Whig, da. and w., was founded in July, 1834, by
James M. Stevenson, and is still continued. The weekly
since Sept. 1855, has been published as
The Troy American, by George Abbott.
The Troy Statesman was commenced in 1834, by T. J. Suther¬
The Botanic Advocate was published in 1834 by Russell Buckley.
The Trojan, da., was started in 1835, and continued a few
The State Journal was issued in 1836 by Richards & Mastin,
and continued 1 year.
The New York State Journal was published in 1837 by T. Hax-
The Troy Daily Mail was started in 1837 by Wellington & Nafew,
and was continued until 1841.
The Troy Daily Bulletin was started in Dec. 1841, by R. Thomp¬
The Troy Daily Herald was published in 1843 by Isaac D. Ayres.
The Troy Temperance Mirror was issued in 1843 by Bardwell &
The Family Journal was started in 1844 by Fisk & Co. In Sept,
1848, it appeared as
The New York Family Journal, and it is still
The Troy Post was commenced by Alexander McCall, and in
1845 it was superseded by
The Troy Traveler, da. and w. Fisk & Avery were the pub¬
lishers, and Wm. L. Avery editor.
The Trojan was started in 1845, and continued several years.
The Rensselaer County Temperance Advocate was begun in 1846
by S. Spicer.
The Daily Telegraph was published at Troy in 1846.
The Journal of Temperance was started in 1846 by Wm. Hager.
The National Watchman was commenced in 1847
by Allen & Garnet, and is still published.
The Troy Daily Times was founded in 1851 by J. M.
Francis, by whom it is still published.
La Ruche Canadienne was established at Troy in 1851 by Do¬
rian & Mathiot.
The Nassau Gazette was started in Dec. 1850 by J. M Geer.
The Lutheran Herald, semi-mo., was started at West Sand
Lake by H. L. Dox, in 1844.
The Grreenimsh Guardian was commenced in Aug.
1856 by A. ,T. Goodrich. It is now published by J. D.
4 By an act of Jan. 11,1793, the sum of £600 was appropriated
for the erection of a courthouse and jail, to be built under the
direction of Cornelius Lansing, Jacob C. Schermerhorn, Abraham
Ten Eyck, Mahlon Taylor, and Jacob Vanderheyden, who, with
others, had pledged £1000 for that purpose. In 1794 a further
sum of £800 was granted; in 1797, $5500 ; and in 1798, $500.
B The first co. officers were Anthony Ten Eyck, Judge; Moss
Kent, Surrogate; Nicholas Schuyler, Clerk; and Albert Paw¬
6 This building was begun in 1828 and finished in 1831. It
is in the Grecian style, modeled from the temple of Theseus at
Athens, omitting the side columns, and is built of Sing Sing
marble. The first building was of brick, on the present court¬
1 Senate Doc. No. 8,1857. The committee making this report
were very severe in their censure of the manner in which
this establishment was kept, the inadequacy of its arrange¬
ments, and the treatment of its inmates.
8 See page 157.
8 The proportion of leased land in the several towns in 1858
is stated by the agents as follows:—In Stephentown nearly all
leased; in Grafton, Nassau, Schodack, E.Greenbush, N. Greenbush,
and Brunswick, each about two-thirds leased; Berlin and Peters¬
burgh, each about one-half leased; Poestenkill, nearly all free¬
hold ; and Sand Lake, one-third originally deeded, and one-third
of the remainder now leased.