Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 543
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


PUTNAM COUNTY.    543

name was changed Feb. 13, 1840. It lies on the s. border of the co., between Philipstown and
Carmel. Its surface is broken by steep and rocky mountain ridges extending in nearly a n. and
s. direction, and separated by narrow valleys. These mountain ranges constitute a part of The
Highlands. The principal streams are Canopus Creek, Canopus Lake Creek, and Peekskill Hollow
Brook. Canopus Lake is a beautiful sheet of water near the center of the town.1 The soil in the
valleys is a moderately fertile, sandy and gravelly loam. Iron ore has been found in several locali¬
ties, but in places so difficult of access that it is not mined to any considerable extent. Oregon,
at the confluence of Peekskill Hollow Brook and Canopus Lake Creek, contains 17 houses, and
Crofts Corners contains 2 churches and 10 houses. Tompkins Corners is a hamlet.
Among the early settlers were families named Dusenbury and Adams.2 The census reports 4
churches in town; 3 M. E. and 1 Bap.

SOUTHEAST—was formed from Frederiekstown and “ Southeasttown,”3 March 7, 1788. A
part of Patterson was taken off, as “
Franklin ” in 1795. It is the s. e. corner town of the co. Its
surface is rolling and hilly. The streams are the
e. and middle branches of Croton River and
their tributaries. Several small lakes and ponds lie among the hills.4 The soil is a sandy and
gravelly loam. Iron ore abounds, but no mines are wrought at the present time. About 4,000
gals, of milk are sent daily from this town to the New York market. Brewsters Station,
(p. v.,) on the Harlem R. R., contains 1 church and a bank, and has a pop. of 176. lledcliisg'-
ville and Brush Hollow are hamlets. Southeast Center has 144 inhabitants, and
Milltown (p.v.) 167. Be Forest Corners, Boaneshurgh, Fogglngtown, and
Dykemans Station (Dykemans p.o.) are hamlets. This was one of the first settled towns in
the co.3 The first religious services were conducted by Rev. Elisha Kent, grandfather of the late
Chancellor, about the year 1730.4

Acres of Land, Valuation, Population, Dwellings, Families, Freeholders, Schools, Live
Stock, Agricultural Products, and Domestic Manufactures, of Putnam County.

Names op Towns.

Acres of Land.

Valuation op 1858.

Population.

No. of Dwellings.

No. of Families.

| Freeholders.

Schools.

"S '
1

'S

1

e

"e

$

II

| S’

Total.

Males.

Females.

No. of
Districts.

Children

taught.

Carmel...................

19,300

5.271#

941.864

362,690

1,304,554

1,169

1,237

470

483

345

739

Kent......................

15,241#

6,617

425.020

151,175

576,195

755

784

275

308

225

8

572

Patterson................

13,789#

6,523

609,825

100,650

710,475

702

720

266

302

204

9

480

Philipstown............

11,505

15,236

761,793

131,300

893,093

2,427

2,382

722

932

433

14

1,760

Putnam Valley........

16,313

7,637

365,440

88,500

453,940

826

747

298

312

264

7

735

Southeast................

18,056#

3,163#

990,179

227,285

1,217,464

1,091

1,094

374

409

268

10

690

Total................

94,205#

44,447#

4,094,121

1,061,600

5,155,72ll

6,970

6,964

2,405

2,748

1,739

59

4,976

Live Stock.

Agricultural Products.

Bush, op Grain.

Dairy Products.

Names op Towns.

s s
s
8
v
ft* to


fc. £ e3
POO


S

2,113

1,493

853

935

2,457


1,120

1,165

2,179

1,145

1,081


2,171

1.420

539

698

822

154


57,9414

25,288#

22,251#

23,753

28,072

40,511#


6,040

4,261

4,060#

3,370

3,443

6,582#


5.326

3,886#

3,1484

5,3934

4,505

4.181#


14,'

5,
9,854
6,976
17,
10,071


1,847

766

971

1,194

1,144

1,075

6,997


8,616

4,091

3,321

3,890

5,159

2,081


121,479

75,856

61,400

65,591

73,070


3,375

100


357

313

334


25

1,22T


7,851


26,441#


197,8


27,756#


64,504


27,158    493,696    3,475


Carmel............

Kent...............

Patterson.........

Philipstown.....

Putnam Valley.

Southeast........

Total.......


4 Tonetta and Kishewana Lakes, and Covils and Peach Ponds.

5 Among the early settlers were families named Crane, Crosby,
Hall, Howes, Paddock, Haines, Howe, Carpenter, and Dickin¬
son, from Mass. and Conn. Joseph Crane built the first mil!,
at Milltown, about 1730. Chancellor Kent was born in this
town, July 31, 1763.

6 The census reports 4 churches in town; M. E., Presb.,
Union, and Eriends.


1

Canopus Lake is 2 mi. long by 1 wide. Clear, Muddy, Pel-
tons, Salpeu, Owens, Cranberry, Bargers, andWickopee Ponds are
smaller bodies of water in the town.

2

On the farm of Harry Gillet are the ruins of the Hempstead

3

confirmed March 24, 1772. The word “ town” in the name was

4

dropped March 17,1795.


PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2