536 OTSEGO COUNTY.
OTEGO—was formed from Franklin (Delaware co.) and Unadilla, April 12, 1822, as “Hunts¬
ville.” A part of Milford was annexed and its name changed April 17,1830. It lies on the s. border
of the co., w. of the center. Its surface is a hilly upland, divided by the Susquehanna, which flows
s. w. through the s. part. The n. part is separated into ridges 200 to 400 ft. high, all extending
N. and s. The streams are Mill Creek, east and west branches of Otsdawa Creek, Flax Id. Cr.
and Center Brook, The soil is a clay and sandy loam. Otego, (p.v.,) on the Susquehanna,
contains 4 churches and 331 inhabitants; Otsdawa, (p.v.,) on Otsdawa Creek, contains a
church, one mill, and 20 dwellings. Center Brook is a p. o. on the stream of the same
name. Settlements were made in this town, along the Susquehanna, soon after the close of the
Revolution; hut the precise date of the first settlement is not known.1 The first church (Presb.)
was organized at Otego Village, Sept. 17, 1805 ; Rev. Abner Benedict was the first preacher.2
OTSEGO—was formed as a part of Montgomery co., March 7, 1788, and originally included
the greater part of Otsego co. Burlington, Richfield, and Unadilla were taken off in 1792, Hart¬
wick in 1802, and Laurens in 1810. It is an interior towm, lying upon the w. hank of Otsego
Lake, n. of the center of the co. Its surface is a hilly upland, lying between Otsego and Schuy¬
ler Lakes and descending abruptly toward each. The summits are 300 to 500 ft. above the
water, the uplands being divided into two ridges hy Fly Creek, which flows s. through the center.
Oak Creek, the outlet of Schuyler Lake, flows s. through the w. part. The soil is clay, gravel, and
sandy loam. Cooperstown, (p.v.,) at the foot of Otsego Lake, was incorp. April 3, 1807, hy
the name of “ Otsego.” Its name was changed to Cooperstown June 12, 1812. Besides the co.
buildings, it contains 6 churches, 3 hanks, 2 newspaper offices, an academy,3 the buildings of the
Cooperstown Seminary and Female Collegiate Institute,4 a flouring mill, and various manu¬
facturing establishments.5 The location of the village is pleasant and attractive from its many
elegant private residences and historic associations. Pop. about 1,500.6 Fly Creek, (p.v.,)
upon the stream of the same name, contains 3 churches, several manufactories,7 and 30 houses.
Oaksville, (p.v.,) s. of the center, contains a church, factory, and 15 houses. Otsego
Cake is a p. o. Todds ville (p. v.) is on the line of Hartwick. Settlements were made at
Cooperstown and Fly Creek, in 1784-88, by Judge Wm. Cooper, Wm. Jarvis, William Ellison,
Israel Guild, John Howard, Elihu Phinney, John Miller, Widow Johnson, Wm. Abbott, and Jas.
Averell. The first religious association (Presb. and Cong.) was formed Dec. 29, 1798; Rev. Isaac
Lewis was the first preacher.8
PITTSFIEED—was formed from Burlington, March 24, 1797. New Lisbon was taken off
in 1806, and a part of Morris in 1859. It is centrally situated upon the w. line of the co. Its
surface is a hilly upland, terminating in abrupt declivities upon Unadilla River, which forms its
w. boundary. Wharton Creek flows across the n. w. corner, and several small tributaries of But¬
ternut Creek flow through the s. part. The soil is generally a slaty and gravelly loam. Pitts¬
field, (p.o.,) on Wharton Creek, contains 10 houses. Aaron Nobles, Hubbard Goodrich, and
Matthew Bennett settled in the valley of the Unadilla, about 1793.9 The first church now in
town was organized in the e. part in 1849.10 A part of Morris was annexed in 1859.
implements and machinery, employing a capital of $25,000; and
a foundery and machine shop, employing 25 men.
8 The first child born was William Jarvis, at Fly Creek, in
1787. The first deaths in town were those of two deserting
soldiers, who were shot hy order of Gen. Clinton, in 1779, before
the settlements were commenced. The first school was taught
at Cooperstown, by Joshua Dewey, in 1788. William Ellison
opened the first inn, in 1786; and Judge Wm. Cooper the first
store, in 1789-90. The first mill was erected by Samuel Tubbs,
at Toddsville, in 1790. In 1779, General Clinton, on his way to
join Sullivan’s expedition, built a dam across the outlet of the
lake to raise the waters suificiently to float down the Susque¬
hanna the boat, containing his men and military stores. The
remains of this dam are still visible. In 1784, Gen. Washing¬
ton, on a journey of observation, visited the foot of Otsego
Lake. In 1786, John Miller felled a large tree across the outlet
to serve as a bridge. Judge Cooper removed his family from
N. J. in 1790.
9 The census reports 10 churches; 3 M. E., 2 Presb., 2 Univ.,
Prot. E., Bap , and R. C.
l° Seth Harrington and Benj. Eddy settled in the E. part of the
town soon alter the settlements on the Unadilla. The first
school was taught by Benjamin Pendleton, at Pittsfield P. O.
Matthew Bennett kept the first inn, in 1797, and Henry Randall
the first store, in 1810, at the P. O. Benj. Atwell built the first
mill, and the Arkwright Manufacturing Company the first cotton
factory, both on the Unadilla.
11 There are 2 Union churches in town.
Ransom Hunt, Abraham Blakesley, John Birdsall, Benjamin
Cummings, Jacob Yates, Joseph Pierce, and Barnard Overhuyser,
were among the first settlers at Otego Village and along the
river. Phineas Cook settled on the e. branch of the Otsdawa
in 1800, and built there the first cloth dressin mill, in 1801.
Ransom Hunt kept the first inn, and Neh. Sleeper erected the
first gristmill in town. Smith & Morey opened the first store.
The census reports 6 churches; Presb., Prot. E., Bap., P. W.
Bap., Christian, and M. E.
The first academy was formed in 1795, and the building
burned down March 31, 1809, and has not been rebuilt. A
classical school has been sustained, and has prospered for
most of the time, for half a century.
This institution was established and opened in 1854, and
extensive and commodious buildings were erected at a cost of
$30,000. It started with J. L. G. McKown as Principal. It
, suspended operations in 1857, was purchased hy R. C. Flack in
1859, and the school is again in operation, with indications of
permanent prosperity. See p. 749.
The Hope Cotton Factory, erected in 1813, with an aggregate
capital of about $100,000, has through a long series of years
given employment to 80 persons. After undergoing various
(changes in construction, machinery, and proprietorship, the
establishment is still continued, with reduced operations.
sion and grounds were near the centre of the village.
^ 7 At thisniace is a fork factory, with a capital of $75,000, em-
pToyiBgj^Muen; a pail factory; a manufactory of agricultural