Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 514
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


514    ORLEANS    COUNTY.

(p. v.,) the county seat, was incorp. April 21, 1828. It is situated on the Erie Canal, in the N.
part of the town, and is the principal station upon the N. Y. C. R. R. between Rochester and
Lockport. It contains 5 churches, the Phipps Union Female Seminary,1 the Albion Academy,
a bank, 2 newspaper offices, and several manufactories.2 Pop. 3,776. Barre Center, (p. o.,)
4 mi. s. of Albion, contains 30 dwellings. Eagle Harbor lies partly in this town. Sontti
Barre (p. o.) and Jacksons Corners (West Barre p. o.) are hamlets. Rich’s Corners!
is in the
n. e. part. Settlement was commenced by Wm. McAllister, in 1811.3 The first churek
(Cong.) was organized Nov. 5, 1816, by Revs. Eleazur Fairbanks and Comfort Williams.4

CARLTOX—was formed from Gaines and Ridgeway, April 13,1822, as “ Oak Orchard.” Its
name was changed in 1825. It lies on the lake shore, between Kendall and Yates, and is crossed in a
n. e. direction by Oak Orchard and Johnsons Creeks. The surface is level, and the soil generally sandy.
Salt water has been discovered near West Carlton.5 Carlton,6 (p. o.,) East Carlton, (p. o.,)
West Carlton, (p. o.,) Waterport, (p. o.,) Kenyonville, Oak Orchard Harbor,
and Baldwin Corners are hamlets. Settlement was commenced in 1803, by two brothers, J as,
and Wm. Walsworth,—the former at the mouth of Oak Orchard Creek, the latter on Johnsons Creek.
Matthew Dunham and his sons Matthew, Jas., and Charles, from N. Y. City, settled near Johnsons
Creek in the fall of 1803.7 The first church (M. E.) was organized at West Carlton, about 1816.®

CLAREXDOX —was formed from Sweden, Monroe co., Feb. 23,1821. It is the s. E. corner town
of the co. The
e. branch of Sandy Creek rises in the Tonawanda Swamp and flows n. Upon this
stream are two waterfalls,—one at the village of Clarendon and the other in the
n. part of the town.
Along the line of the mountain ridge the surface is broken, and elsewhere it is gently rolling or
level. The soil is a sandy loam; in the
n. stony. Limestone for building purposes and hydraulic
limestone have been obtained at Clarendon. Clarendon8 (p.v.) contains 2 churches, a limited
number of manufactories,9 and about 30 dwellings. The first settlement was made in 1811, at
the village of Clarendon, by Eldridge Farwell.10 There are now 3 churches in town.11

GAHXES12—was formed from Ridgeway, Feb. 14, 1816. Barre was taken off in 1818, and a
part of Carlton in 1822. It is the central town in the co. It is crossed by Otter and Marsh
Creeks, branches of the Oak Orchard, and by the
w. branch of Sandy Creek. The lake ridge
extends
e. and w. through the center. The surface is level and the soil sandy. Eagle
Harbor, (p.v.,) on the Erie Canal, contains 2 churches, 2 flouring mills, and a large stave
factory and cooperage. Pop. 639,—509 in Gaines and 130 in Barre. daisies13 (p.v.) contains 2
churches and 342 inhabitants. East dailies and West dailies are p. offices ; and Games
Basin, on the canal, and Fair hay en, are hamlets. The first settlement was made prior to

1809, by Gilbert. Noah Burgess, Samuel Crippen, Elliott, and Elijah Downer came in

1809.14 The first church (Bap.) was organized in 1816.15



by Geo. Kuck. The first school was taught by Peleg Helms, in
the winter of 1810-11.

8 There are now 5 churches in town; Bap. and Presb. at
Carlton, M. E. at West Carlton, Bap. at East Carlton, and M. E.
at Kenyonville. The first religious services in town were con¬
ducted hy *•' Old Mr. Steele,” a M. E. preacher from Canada, soma
time prior to 1810.    9    Formerly known as “
Farwells Mills.”

10 2 sawmills, a gristmill, and a furnace.

11 Benj. Thomas, Benajah Worden, Elisha Huntly, John Cone,
John Stephens, David Church, and Chauncey Kobinson were
among the earliest settlers. Eldridge Farwell built the first
sawmill, on Sandy Creek, in 1811, and the first gristmill, in 1813.
The first store was kept by Hiram Frisbee, in 1821; and tho
first school was taught by Mrs. Amanda Bills.

12 M. E. and Univ. at Clarendon, and a Christian church about
IJ mi. w. of Clarendon.

18 Named in honor of Gen. E. P. Gaines, through the instru- -
mentality of Wm. J. Babbitt.

14 Incorp. by the Legislature in 1832, hut never organized
under the act.

16 Among the early settlers were Reuben Rowley, Harry Wil¬
cox, Joseph and Aaron Adams, Robert and Cotton Leach, New¬
bury Chafey, Dyer Sprague, Samuel Rosier, Wm. Burlingame,
Walter Fairfield, Lansing Bailey, John Proctor, and James

Mather. The first death was that of Gilbert, who died in

or before 1809. His wife and niece, Amy Scott, remained, and
wintered a yoke of oxen and several cows upon browse cut by
themselves. The first birth was that of Samuel Crippen, jr., in
1810; and the first marriage, that of Cyrus Daniels and Elizabeth
Freeman, July 4,1812: The first inn was kept hy WTm. Sibley,
in 1811; and the first store, by Wm. Perry, in 1815. Orin Gleason
taught the first school, in the winter of 1813-14. Henry Drake
built the first sawmill, in 1813; and the first gristmill was built
by Jonathan Gates, in 1822.    .    ;

1® There are 6 churches In town; M. E. and Wes. Meth. at


1

The Phipps Union Female Seminary was established in 1833.
The main building was erected in 1836, and additions have been
since made, until the whole outlays have reached $20,000. The
average number of pupils is about 250.

2

Flouring mills, furnaces, a woolen factory, a tannery, a
cabinet ware manufactory, and a planing mill.

3

8 McAllister settled on the present site of the Phipps Female
Seminary, near the courthouse. Among the earliest settlers
were Joseph Stoddart, Reuben Clark, Joseph Hart, and Elijah
Darrow, who located in the n. part of the town in 1812. The
first death, that of Mrs. McAllister, occurred in Sept. 1811. The
first sawmill was built by Wm. White in 1816, on Sandy Creek, a
little e. of Albion; the first gristmill, in 1819, by Wm. Bradner,
near the same place; and the first tavern was kept by Abraham
Mattison, in 1815, at Bentons Corners, about 2 mi. s. of Albion.
The first school was taught hy Mrs. Cyrus Benton.

4

* There are 7 churches in town; Presb., Bap., Prot. E., M. E.,
and R. O. at Albion, Cong, at Barre Center, and M. E. at Jack¬
sons Corners.

5

Lyman Fuller, in digging a well, bored through a stratum
of rock, and obtained salt water of such strength that 2 galls,
yielded a pint of salt. The hole through the rock was plugged
up, and fresh water came in from ahove.

6

Locally known as Two Bridges.”

7

I In 1804, Elijah Hunt, Henry Lovell, Moses Root, Elijah

8

in town, unless it was that of a member of the Canadian family

9

mentioned on page , was that of a deserter from Fort Nia¬

10

gara, who was drowned in attempting to cross Johnsons Creek,

11

about 1800. The first death of an actual settler was that of

12

Elijah Brown, May 7,1805. The first births were those of a pair

13

of twins, children of James Walsworth, in 1806; and the first

14

marriage, that of Wm. Carter and Amy Hunt, in 1804. The first
gristmill was built on Johnsons Creek, by Matthew Dunham, in

15

lh06; and the first store was opened in 1816, at West Carlton,


PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2