Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 506
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


506    ORANGE    COUNTY.

CRAWFORD—was formed from Montgomery, March 4, 1823. It lies in the extreme u.
angle of the co. Its surface is a hilly upland, broken by several high ridges extending n. e. and
s. w. Collaberg and Comfort Hills, along the e. border, are 300 to 400 ft. ahove the valleys. The
principal streams are the Shawangunk, forming the n. w. boundary, Dwaars Kil, Paughcaughnaugh-
sink and Little Paugheaughnaughsink Creeks. These streams all flow in a general n. e. direction.
Upon the Shawangunk is a large amount of water-power. The soil is a slaty and clayey loam
upon the hills and a sandy and gravelly loam in the valleys. Pine Bush,1 (p v.,) on the
Shawangunk, in the. n. part, contains a sawmill, gristmill, and 120 inhabitants; Sear§ville,
(p. v.,) on Dwaars Kil, near the center, a gristmill, 2 sawmills, and 16 dwellings; and Rtillville,
(p.v.,) in the s. part, 12 dwellings. Hopewell is a hamlet, in the s. w. Collaburgli is a
p. o., 2 mi. e. of Bullville. The first church (Presb.) was formed at Hopewell, in 1779. The census
reports 2 churches; Presh. and Asso. Ref. Presb.2

DEERPARK.3—was formed from Mamakating, (Sullivan co.,) March 16, 1798. A part of
Mount Hope wa£ taken off in 1825. It lies in the extreme w. angle of the co. Its surface is a
mountainous highland, broken hy the valley of Neversink River and numerous deep, rocky ravines
of small streams. The Shawangunk Mts. extend along the e. border, and form a high, rocky
ridge 1,800 ft. ahove the valleys, with steep declivities on the w. The Neversink4 River flows in
a deep valley at the w. foot of the mountains. The central and w. parts are covered with a rocky
and mountainous upland, ending in abrupt declivities on Delaware River in the s. Th-e other prin¬
cipal streams are Mongaup River, forming the w. boundary, Bashers5 Kil, Old Dam Fall Creek,6
Shingle, and Grassy Swamp7 Brooks. Big and Little Ponds are two small lakes in the interior.
Port Jervis,8 (p. v.,) upon the Delaware, near the mouth of the Neversink, was incorp. May 11,
1853. It is an important station upon the Erie R. R. and Delaware & Hudson Canal. It contains

5 churches, a saw factory, foundery, machine shop, planing mill, newspaper office, and hank. Pop.
3,023. Monesville, (Sparrow Bush p. o.,) upon the Delaware, 2 mi. w. of Port Jervis, contains
a large tannery and 26 dwellings; Huguenot, (p. v.,) upon the canal, 4 mi. n. e. of Port Jervis,
25 dwellings; and Cuddebncliville, (p.v.,) upon the canal, in the n. e. part, 1 church and
12 dwellings. Carpenters Point is a hamlet, at the mouth of the Neversink. The first
settlements were made about 1690.9 There are 7 churches in town.10 De Witt Clinton was horn
at Fort De Witt, in this town, March 2, 1769, while his parents were on a visit at the residence
of his mother’s brother. Lead ore has recently been found in this town.

GOSHEN—was formed March 7, 1788. A part of Hamptonburgh was taken off in 1830, and
a part of Chester in 1845. It is an interior town, lying a little s. e. of the center of the co. Its
surface is rolling or moderately hilly. The hills are bordered hy long and gradual slopes, and are
arable to their summits. The s. w. corner is occupied by a portion of the
Drowned Lands,” most of
which have been reclaimed.11 The principal streams are Walkill, forming the w., and Quaker Creek,
the s. boundary, and Otter Kil, in the e. part. The soil is a sandy loam, underlaid by clay, slate,
and limestone. Gosben, (p. v.,) N. E. of the center, was incorp. March 28, 1809. Besides the co.
buildings, it contains 4 churches, a female seminary,12 several classical schools^ 2 newspaper offices,
2 hanks, and about 1,800 inhabitants. It is 4 mi. from w. terminus of the Newburgh Br. of the N. Y.

6 E. R. R., and is an important freight and milk station upon the Erie R. R. The first settlements
were made from 1703 to 1714. The first deeds of village lots in Goshen bear the date of 1714.
The original Wawayanda Patent,13 covering the greater part of this town, was granted hy Queen

11 Some 25 years ago a ditch of small size was dug about 3 mi.
in length across a bend in Wall Ivil, through the Drowned Lands,
for the purpose of draining them. The action of the water upon
the light soil through which it was dug has so enlarged it that
in many places it is wider than Wall Kil, and much difficulty is
experienced in maintaining bridges over the ditoh.

42 The Goshen Female Seminary is a flourishing institution.
Several small family classical schools are located in the village.

43 .Christopher Denn, one of the proprietors of the Wawayanda
Patent, located n. e. of Goshen Village in 1712. After visiting
the place and deciding upon a location, he returned to his resi¬
dence on Staten Island, and sent a company of carpenters, his
household goods, and his adopted daughter, Sarah Wells, then
16 years of age, to his new home, under the guidance of 3
friendly Indians. The carpenters erected a cabin, and Denn and
his wife came on the next day after the cabin was built. Mr.
Bull, a young Englishman just arrived in an emigrant ship,
came in soon after. Among the other early settlers who came
previous to 1721 were John Everett, John Carpenter, John Gale,
William Ludlum, James Jackson, Isaac Finch, Michael Dunning,
Solomon Carpenter, William Jackson, Samuel Seely, Samuel
Webb, John Yelverton, Samuel Clowes, Join Bradner, and John


1

Formerly called “ Crawford.”

2

Nothing definite could be obtained in regard to the early
history of this town.

3

A man named McDonald, in early time, inclosed a large
tract hy a brush fence, and the inclosure became known as Mc¬
Donald’s
Deer Park.” This name was afterward given to the
town.

4

Called by the Indians Ma-hack-e-meck.

5

3 Named from Bashe, an Indian woman who lived upon its
banks.

6

This stream falls 600 ft. in 1 mi., and hence its name.

7

Named from a series of low natural meadows through which
the stream flows.

8

3 Named from J. B. Jervis, the engineer who built the Delaware
& Hudson Canal.

9

Peter Gummaer, Jacob Cuddeback, Thomas and Gerardus

10

Swartout, John Tys, and David Jemison located in town in 1690.
The first two were Huguenot exiles. The first general surveys
were made in 1713. Jacob Cuddeback built the first mill.

11

Among the other early settlers were - Cuykendall,    John

12

Pecker, Wm. Cole, and Solomon Davis.

13

2 Bet Prot. D., Bap., Presb., M. E., Prot. E., and R. C.


PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2