Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 498
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


498    ONTARIO COUNTY.

daga and corniferous limestone. Plielps,1 (p. v.,) on Flint Creek, near its junction with the
Canandaigua Outlet, was incorp. Jan. 2, 1855. It contains a union school, newspaper office, and
6 churches. Pop. 1,278. Orleans (p. v.) is situated on Flint Creek. Pop. 218. Oaks
Corners (p. o.) contains 15 houses.2 J. D. Robinson, from Claverack, Columbia co., settled at
Phelps in 1789.2 Rev. S. Goodale was the first resident preacher; he held services in schoolhouses
and dwellings before any church edifice was erected. The first church (Presb.) was built in 1804J

RICHMOND—was formed in 1796, as “Pittstown” Its name was changed to “Honeoye”
April 6,1808, and to Richmond April 11,1815. Canadice was taken off in 1829. A part of Cana¬
dice was annexed April 30, 1836, and parts of Bristol and South Bristol in 1848; but these last
were restored in 1852. It lies upon the w. border of the co., s. of the center. It consists of a
nearly square portion of land lying near the foot of Honeoye Lake, and a narrow strip extending
along the
e. shore of that lake and its inlet to the s. border of the co.3 A wide valley occupies the
center, opening toward the n., and surrounded by hills from 50 to 200 feet high on the 3 remaining
sides. The southern strip is very hilly, the summits rising 500 feet above the surface of the lake.
Honeoye and Hemlock Outlets and Egypt Brook are the principal streams, The soil upon the
lowlands is clay, upon the hills a sandy loam mixed with clay. Much attention is given to im¬
proving the breeds of cattle and sheep; and it is the largest wool growing town in the co., and sec¬
ond in the State. Honeoye, (p. v.,) at the foot of Honeoye Lake, is the business center of the
town. Pop. 244. Richmond Mills (p. o.) and Allens Mill4 (p. o.) are hamlets. This
town was purchased of Phelps and Gorham by a company; and the first settlement was made by
Capt. Peter Pitts and his sons William and Gideon, in 1789.7 There are 5 churches in town.8

SENECA—was formed in 1793, under the act of Jan. 27, 1789. It is the s. e. corner town of
the co., lying upon the
w. shore of Seneca Lake. The surface is beautifully rolling, the.ridgea
rising 20 to 200 feet above the valleys. The shores of the lake are bluffs about 100 feet above
the surface of the water. The streams are Flint and Keshong Creeks and Burralls and Castle
Brooks. The soil is a deep, rich loam, consisting of sand, gravel, and clay mixed together, the
gravel predominating upon the ridges. The soil is admirably adapted to the production of
fruit trees, and the business of the nursery has become one of the leading pursuits in the town.
Two large nursery establishments are located within the limits of the village of Geneva. Com •
merce and manufactures receive considerable attention. Geneva,5 (p. v.,) incorp. April 4,1806,
is beautifully situated at the foot of Seneca Lake. It contains a flourishing union school,10 a large
private boarding school,6 3 newspaper offices, and 9 churches. It is also the seat of Ilobart Free
College.7 The Geneva Water Cure and Hygienic Institute is finely situated near the center of the
village. A daily line of steamers connects this place with the upper ports upon Seneca Lake.
Pop. 5,057. Castleton, (Seneca Castle p.o.,) on Flint Creek, in the n.w. part, contains 2
churches and 35 dwellings. Flint Creels., (p.o.,) Halls Corners, (p.o.,) and Stanleys #

Duke de Liancourt and suite went from Canandaigua to make
him a visit.

8 2 Cong., Prot. Epis., Prot. Meth., and Wes. Meth.

9 This village is justly celebrated for the beauty of its §itua-
tion; and perhaps no village in the co. in this respect has been
so generally and enthusiastically praised by tourists. For many
years it was one of the leading business places in Central N. Y ;
hut the completion of the r. r. lines has turned a large share of
the business into other channels.

10 This union school was one of the first established in the
State, and for a long time was taken as a model in establishing
others. It early contained an academic department that enjoyed
an excellent reputation. The schools of the village are now graded,
and embrace a complete common school and academic course.

11 The Walnut Hill Seminary, for boys, is a flourishing institu¬
tion of its kind. For particulars see p. 741.

J2 Formerly Geneva College. It was incorp. in 1825, and was
established mainly through the influence of Bishop Hobart,
whose name it hears. A medical department was organized in
1836. The trustees and members of the College Faculty are
generally members of the Prot. Epis. church. From the be¬
ginning, however, the college has been equally open to all; and
it is now
free to all, no charge being made for tuition and room
rent. It has now two large buildings for the use of students—
one for libraries and lecture rooms, one for a chapel—and a
spacious building for the use of the medical department. The
college has a president, 4 professors, an assistant professor, and
a resident fellow, who takes part in the business of instruction;
and the medical department has a Faculty of 6 professors. In
1859 the number of students in the free classes was 85. The
aggregate value of the college property is about $160,000. The
college buildings are beautifully situated in the s. part of the
village, on a bluff which overlooks Seneca Lake. The college
grounds contain above 12 acres. In 1858 the whole number of
graduates in arts was 246 and in medicine 520.


1

Formerly called “ Vienna.”

2

N. Sanborn, - Gould, - Pierce,    Philetus Swift, and

Elihu Granger, from Conn., settled in town in 1789; Thaddeus
Oaks, Setb Dean, Oliver and Charles Humphrey, John Salisbury,
Nicholas Pullen, Walter Chase, and Elias Dickinson in 1791;
John Patten and David Boyd in 1792; Jonathan Melvin in 1793;
and John Sherman, Joseph andLodowickYandemark, and John
and Patrick Burnett in 1794. Henry H. Bobinson was the first
child born in town; and the first marriage was that of Philetus
Swift and Sally Dean, in 1793. Thaddeus Oaks opened the first
tavern, in 1793; and the first saw and grist mills were built by
Seth Dean.

3

This strip was added to the town in consequence of its posi¬
tion, high mountain ridges separating it from the business cen¬
ters of both Canadice and South Bristol.

4

® Named in honor of Nathaniel Allen. Mr. Allen was among
the first settlers, and established the first blacksmith’s shop at
Allens Hill. Subsequently he was sheriff of Ontario co.; in 1812
he was a member of the Assembly; during the War of 1812 he
was army paymaster; and in 1819 he was elected member of
Congress from the 21st district.

5

sion of the lands, Capt. Pitts secured 3,000 acres at the foot of

6

had been the site of an Indian village destroyed by Sullivan’s

7

army. Louis Philippe, during his travels in this country, spent
a night in the log house of Capt. Pitts; and subsequently the


PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2