ONONDAGA COUNTY. 487
was Rev. Mr. Robbins, a missionary from Conn.1 Several eminent personages, distinguished in the
fields of politics, literature, and art, were natives of this town, prominent among whom are Sara J.
Clarke, (now Mrs. Sara J. Lippineott, better known as “Grace Greenwood,”) Ex-Gov. Horatio
Seymour, Charles Mason, late Commissioner of Patents, and Erastus D. Palmer, the sculptor,
SAEIMA—was formed from Manlius and Onondaga, March 27,1809. Syracuse was taken off
in 1847, and Geddes in 1848. It lies upon the e. bank of Onondaga Lake, n. of the center of the
co. Its surface is level or gently undulating. Mud Creek, in the s. e. part, and its tributary,
Bear Trap Creek, are the only streams. Along their course is a considerable amount of swamp
land. The soil is principally a sandy loam, with occasional intervales of tough clay. The people
are largely engaged in the manufacture of salt. Tobaoco is cultivated to some extent. Eiver-
pool, (p. V.,) upon the e. bank of Onondaga Lake, on the w. line of the town, was incorp. April
20, 1830. It contains 4 churches, a union school, a steam saw and stave mill, and a large number
of salt works. Pop. 1,305. The first settlement was made at Liverpool, in 1795, by John Dan¬
forth and 3 sons, from Worcester co., Mass.2 There are 4 churches in town.3
SELAWEATEEES4—was formed from Marcellus, Feb. 26, 1830. A part of Spafford was an¬
nexed in 1840. It is the s. town on the w. line of the co. The surface is rolling or moderately hilly.
Skaneateles Lake divides the s. half of the town into two nearly equal parts. From the lake the
land slopes beautifully upward to a height of 200 to 500 ft. The highlands upon both borders
overlooking the lake furnish a great number of sites for country residences, which, in beauty of
situation, have no superiors in the State. Many of these are occupied by fine cottages and villas.
Skaneateles Outlet, flowing n., is the principal stream. Upon it are numerous, falls, furnishing an
abundance of water-power.5 The soil is principally a clay loam. Skaneateles/ (p. v.,) beauti¬
fully located at the foot of the lake, was incorp. April 19,1833. It contains 6 churches, a union school,
and 3 carriage manufactories. .Pop. 1,200. Mottville, (p.v.,) on Skaneateles Outlet, contains
1 church, 2 machine shops, a foundery, chair factory, fork factory, and gristmill. Pop. 250.
Mandana, (p. v.,) on the w. hank of the lake, in the s. part of the town, contains 15 dwellings.
Kelloggs Mills, a hamlet \\ mi. n. of Skaneateles, contains a woolen factory which employs
125 hands. The first settler was John Thompson, a Scotchman, who located upon Lot 18 in 1793.7
The first church edifice (Cong.) was erected in 1807; Rev. Aaron Bascom was the first pastor.3
SPAFFORD 9—was formed from Tully, April 8, 1811. Parts of Marcellus and Skaneateles
were taken off in 1840. It lies upon the e. hank of Skaneateles Lake, and is the w. town on the s.
line of the co. Its surface consists principally of a high ridge between Skaneateles and Otisco
Lakes, abruptly descending to the valleys on each side and gradually declining toward the n.
The highest summit, Ripley Hill, is 1,122 ft. ahove Skaneateles Lake and 1,982 ft. ahove tide.
Otisco Inlet is a small stream flowing through the valley which extends s. from Otisco Lake. The soil
is a sandy and gravelly loam. Dorodino, (p. v.,) in the n. part of the town, contains a population
of 202. Spafford, (p.v.,) near the center, contains 2 churches and 30 houses.' Spafford Hol¬
low is a p. o. The first settlers were Gilbert Palmer and his son John, who located on Lot 76 in
1794.10 The first church (M. E.)was formed at an early day; Elder Harmon was the first preacher.11
Pratt & Smith built tbe first sawmill, in 1796, and the first
gristmill, in 1798; Dr. Hezekiah Clarke was the first settled
physician. He served 2 years as a surgeon in the Revolutionary
Army, and was at the massacre of Fort Griswold.
1 The census reports 12 churches; 4 M. E., 3 Bap., Cong.,
Presb., Prot. E., Univ., and Disciples.
2 Abel Hawley, John Eager, and Patrick Riley came in about
the same time. The first marriage was that of Abram Shoe¬
maker and Betsey Danforth, in 1809. The first school was
taught by Capt. Conner, about 1797, in a salt block, which at
that time contained 4 kettles; and the school was taught while
the block was in operation. John Danforth kept the first inn,
2 2 M. E., Evan. Luth., and Presb.
4 Indian name: by some said to signify “very long lake,”
and by others, “tbe beautiful squaw.” The outlet is called
“ Hanauttoo,” or “ Hanauto,” meaning “water running through
8 A recent survey makes Skaneateles Lake 860.25 feet above
tide. Between Skaneateles and Mottville are two large distil¬
leries, and below Mottville a woolen factory, a grist and saw
mill, a paper mill, and a distillery.
8 The beautiful location of this village upon one of the finest
lakes in the State renders it a favorite summer resort of people
from the cities and from the South.
7 Among the other early settlers were Rohinson, James
Watson, Lovel Gibbs, Jonathan Hall, and Winston Day, who
cams in 1796; Warren Hecox, James and Samuel Porter, Dr.
Munger, Elnathan Andrews, John Legg, Moses Loss, John
Briggs, Nathan Kelsey, Wm. J. Vredenburgh, Isaac Sherwood,
Dr. Benedict, and families by the names of Kellogg and Earll,
who came in soon after. Elisha Cole, now living, (1859,) came
in with his father in 1793. Capt. Wm. Thomas came in 1796;
Hezekiah Earll and Samuel Greenman in 1797. The first child
born was Richard P. Watson, June 1, 1796; and the first death,
that of Nehemiah Earll, in 1808. James Porter kept the first
inn, and Winston Day the first store, in 1797; and Judge Jede¬
diah Sanger built the first saw and grist mill, in 1796.
8 The census reports 8 churches; 2 M. E., 2 Friends, Bap.,
Presb., Prot. E., and Univ.
9 Named from Horatio Gates Spafford, author of tho first
Gazetteer of New York.
70 Among the other early settlers were Jonathan Berry, Archi¬
bald Farr, Warren Kneeland, M. Harvey, Isaac Hall, Elisha
Sabins, John Babcock, Peter Knapp, Samuel Smith, Otis and
Mdses Legg, Jethro Bailey, Elias Davis, Abel Amadon, Job
Lewis, Daniel Tinkham, John Hullibut, Levi Foster, Benj.
Horner, James and Cornelius Williamson, Benjamin Stanton,
John Woodward, James Bacon, and Asahel Roundy. The first
child born was Alvah Palmer; tbe first marriage, that of Elisha
Freeman and Phoebe Smith; and the first death, that of Benj.
Chaffee, in Aug. 1801. Sally Packard taught the first school, in
1803; Jared Babcock kept tbe first store, in 1809; Archibald
Farr kept tbe first inn and built the first gristmill, in 1808; and
Josiah Walker built the first sawmill, in 1810.
li The census reports 5 churches; 3 M. E., Presb., and Uniok.