1,000 pupils. The cost of the grounds, buildings, furniture, ap¬
paratus, and library was $100,801.48; and the cost of mainte¬
nance-to. Jan. 1,1859, Was $-33,238.17. The students and the
graduates in each year have been as follows:—
Applicants for admission to this school must reside in the
city, be 14 years of age, and must have been students in tjie
common schools 12 months, and must sustain an examination
in the ordinary English studies. The school has a 5 years’
course of study, and its graduates receive the degree of A.B.
Several medals and money prizes have been endowed, and socie¬
ties of students and alumni have been formed.
1 The number of pupils in 1858 was as follows:—
Normal schools .850
Corporate schools 10,697
Free Academy............. 885
Boys’ grammar school.. 29,309
Girls’ “ “ - .. 26,991
Average attendance 51,430
Primary department.... 59,276
Primary schools 23,760
Evening schools, about. 20,000
8 The “ Free School Society,” afterward^the “ Public School
Society,” was founded in June, 1805, aud its first school was
opened May 17,1806. During its long career this honored society
disbursed millions of dollars of public money, afforded educa¬
tion to 600,000 children, and fitted 1,200 teachers at its normal
schools. It twice tendered its property to the city authorities
to satisfy a popular objection that so much property should not
be managed by a corporation; but in both instances the tender
was declined. After the society was dissolved, its books and
papers were deposited with the New York Historical Society.
Its real estate used for school purposes consisted of 15 public
schoolhouses, a trustees’ hall on Grand Street, and a workshop
on Crosby Street.—Dissolution of Pub. School Soc. and Rep. of
Com., p. 7.
The ll corporate schools share in the public money, but'are
in no sense under the care of the Board. The expenses of the
public schools in 1858 were as follows:—
Salaries of teachers and janitors......................... $ 556,445.93
New schoolhouses, repairs, purchase of new sites.. 228,810.13
Books, stationery, and apparatus.......................... 105,328.31
Salaries of superintendents, clerks, and officers of
the board.1........................................................ 23,398.51
Support of Free Academy, including repairs .........45,834.73
Evening schools.................... 64,515.03
Normal schools............................... 11,290.22
Contingent expenses............... -........... 45,427.05
Total expenses of public schools....................$1,106,
8 The academies subject to the visitation of the Regents are—
The Deaf and Dunjb Institution, incorp. April 15,1830.
Grammar School of Columbia College, incorp. April 7,1838.
New York Free Academy, incorp. Oct. 31,1849.
Rutgers Female Institute, incorp. Jan. 23,1840.
Columbia College was chartered as “ King’s College” Oct. 31,
1754, and under the Colonial Government was aided by a lottery,
grants of lands, and liberal private donations from England.
A plot of ground between Murray, Barclay, Church, and Chapel
Streets was given by Trinity Church for the college site, and
the corner stone was laid July 23, 1756. The building was fin¬
ished in 1760, and during the Revolution it was used for a hos¬
pital. In 1792 the trustees established a medical school, and
sustained it until 1813. The college remained in its first location
until the premises were greatly enhanced in value by the growth
of the city and the spread of commercial establishments around
and beyond it. An act was passed March 19,1857, authorizing
the purchase of another site for college purposes, in accordance
■with which the grounds at the foot of Park Place were sold for
$596,650, the college still retaining many lots on Barclay Street,
Park Place, Murray Street, and College Place, which are rented
for long periods, and whose prospective value it is impossible
to estimate. The premises lately owned by the Trustees of the
Deaf and Dumb Asylum on 49th Street, near 4th Avenue, were
purchased, with 4 other lots, for $75,366.10, and fitted up at a
total cost of $114,336.01. This change is understood to be only
a temporary one, the ultimate intention being to locate on the
premises of the Botanical Garden, between 47th and 51st Streets,
on 5th Avenue. This garden, originally embracing about 20
acres, was laid out by Dr. David Hosack, early in the present
century, for the introduction of exotic plants, experiments in
agriculture and horticulture, and the promotion of science
The Governor, in his message of 1806, commended the object
as worthy of public aid. In 1810 a memorial from the cor¬
poration of New York, the County and State Medical Society,
and the Governors of the New York Hospital was addressed to
the Legislature, in pursuance of which the Garden was pur¬
chased for $73,000, upon the appraisal of 3 commissioners, and
placed in charge of the Regents of the University. The latter
placed it in the hands of the Trustees of the College of Physi¬
cians and Surgeons, April 1,1811. In 1814 it was granted by
the Legislature to Columbia College, upon the condition that
within 12 years the College should be removed thither; but in
1819 this condition was rescinded, and $10,000 was given, to the
College to aid in extending the premises upon the original loca¬
tion. These grounds have also increased greatly, in value, and
the College is at this moment perhaps the wealthiest in the
Union, with this important feature: that its wealth is not
coupled with irksome conditions and provisions, but left free to
the discretion of its trustees. A grammar school has been
many years connected with the College.
The University of the City of New York, located on the e. side
of Washington Square, occupies a fine marble building in the
English collegiate style of architecture. It is 100 by 200 ft. on
the ground; and besides the portion occupied by the College,it
contains rooms leased to societies, artists, and professional per¬
sons. This College grew out of a discussion with regard to a
University on a more extended plan than any in the Union. A
convention of literary and scientific gentlemen was held in the
fall of 1830, and in that year a subscription was opened to raise
$100,000 for the establishment of a University. A heavy debt de¬
pressed it until 1854. It has a Preparatory, a Collegiate, and a
Professional Department; the last embracing 5 schools,—viz.:
of Art, of Civil Engineering, of Analytical and Practical Chem¬
istry, of Medicine, and of Law. It has a total of 38 professors
and 765 students.
The College of Physicians and Surgeons is located on 23d St¬
and 4th Avenue. The site and grounds are leased with privilege
of purchase, and funds derived from the proceeds of the sale of
the building on Crosby St., formerly owned by it, have been
raised to effect the purchase. The edifice now used is 75 by 100
ft., and is valued at $90,000. The first story is leased for stores.
The College was incorp. by the Regents in 1807, by virtue of an
act passed March 21,1791. Lectures were first held in 1807-08.
The Medical Department of Columbia College was merged in this
Nov. 1,1813. The College has 2 courses of lectures annually,
and a library of 1,200 volumes.
The University Medical College, formed under an act of fFeb.
11,1837, as a branch of the University of New York, is located
oh 14th St. between Irving Place and 3d Avenue. The building
is 80 by 103 ft., 4 stories in front and 5 in rear, and is valued at
$50,000. Its charter provides that 5 students of the Free Aca¬
demy shall be admitted free of charge except tho matriculation
fee. Its library numbers 5,000 volumes, and its museum is
valued at $25,000. Two courses of lectures are delivered annu
The New York Medical College, located on E. 13 th St., was incorp.
in 1850. The college building is 60 by 120 ft., and is valued at
$70,000. It has a 5 months’ course of lectures annually. Ten
students are admitted upon payment of $20 and matriculation fee.
The Metropolitan Medical College, located at 68 E. Broadway,