Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 396
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


396    MONROE    COUNTY.

The co. seat is located at the city of Rochester.1 The courthouse, situated upon Buffalo St.,
near the center of the city, is a commodious brick edifice, with an Ionic portico supported by four
massive pillars. The building is surmounted by a dome, the summit of which is 150 ft. high. It
contains the usual offices and rooms for the court and co. officers, the co. clerk’s office, and rooms
for the city officers
.2 The jail is an old stone building, situated upon the bank of the Genesee,
in the s. part of the city. The poorhouse establishment is located upon a farm of 134 acres in
Brighton, just s. of the city line of Rochester. It consists of three large buildings, one of which is
used for an insane asylum. The average number of inmates is 360, supported at a weekly cost
of
68 cts. each. A school is taught throughout the year. The farm yields a revenue of $3,500.

Four daily, 2 tri-weekly, 8 weekly, 1 semi-monthly, and 3 monthly papers are published in
the co
.3

1 The first co. officers were Elisha B. Strong, First Judge;
Timothy Barnard, Judge; Joseph Spencer, Assistant Justice;
Maj. Patterson, Sheriff; Nathaniel Bochester, Cleric; and
Elisha Ely,
Surrogate.

2 The first courthouse was built in 1821, soon after the organ¬
ization of the co. It was removed to give place to the present
structure in 1852. The present courthouse was built at a cost
of $50,000, at the joint expense of the city and co.

® The Rochester Gazette, the first paper published in Monroe
co., was commenced in 1816 by Augustine G. Danby.
John Sheldon and Oran Follett were subsequently as¬
sociated with him; and in 1821 the paper passed into
the hands of Levi W. Sibley, publisher, with Derick
Sibley as editor, and its name was changed to
The Monroe Republican. In 1825 Scranton, Whittlesey k Mumford
* proprietors. In July, 1827, it was purchased by Luther
Tucker & Co., who changed its name to
Tlie Rochester Republican, Henry O’Reilly, editor,
issued in connection with the Rochester Daily Adver¬
tiser until 1839, when the establishment passed into the
hands of Thomas H. Hyatt. After passing through
various hands, it is now published l>y Curtis, Butts
k
Co.; Isaac Butts, editor.

The Rochester Telegraph was commenced July 7,1818, by Eve-
rard, Peck & Co. In 1824 Thurlow Weed became its
editor, and in 1825 he and Robert Martin purchased
the establishment. In 1827 they commenced .

The Semi- Weekly Telegraph, which in a short time was changed
to

The Rochester Daily Telegraph. In 1828 Weed retired, and the
papers, daily and weekly, were continued by Martin.
On the 1st of Jan. 1829, the daily was united with the
Rochester Daily Advertiser, and in 1830 the weekly
was merged in the Rochester Republican.

The' True Genesee Farmer, mo., was published a short time
about 1824 by Wm. A. Welles; N. Goodsell, editor.

The Rochester Album was commenced in Oct. 1825, by Marshall,
Spaulding
k Hunt. In 1827 it was united with the
Telegraph.

The Rochester Daily Advertiser, the first daily paper w. of
Albany, was commenced Oct. 25, 1826, by Luther
Tucker and Henry C. Sleight, (Henry O’Reilly editor,) L
Tucker & Co. In 1828 the partnership was dissolved,
and the publication was continued by Tucker. On
the 1st of Jan. 1829, the paper was united with the
Rochester Daily Telegraph -and issued as
The Rochester Daily Advertiser and Telegraph, by Tucker
k Martin. In 1829 Martin retired, and in 1830
Tucker dropped the sub-title of Telegraph. Henry
O’Reilly, H. L. Stevens, Thomas W. Flagg, and Hiram
Humphrey were successively interested with Tucker in
its publication as associate editors, until May 1839,
when the establishment was transferred to Thomas H.
Hyatt, who became editor and proprietor. After 1
passing through several hands, the paper was united
with the Rochester Daily Union, Sept. 1, 1856, and is
now published as
Tlie Rochester Dally Union and. Advertiser.

Isaac Butts, editor; Curtis, Butts k Co., proprietors.

The Rochester Mercury was commenced in Jan. 1827, by Luther
Tucker & Co. It was issued weekly in connection with
the Daily Advertiser, and was merged in the Rochester
Republican when that paper passed into the hands of
the Daily Advertiser.

The Rochester Observer was commenced in 1827. Luther'Tucker
k Co., printers; Rev. G. G. Sill, editor; Josiah Bissell,
jr., proprietor. After several successive changes of
editors and publishers, it was united with the New Tork
Evangelist in 1832.

The Rochester Balance was commenced in Jan. 1828, by D. D.
Stephenson. It soon passed into the hands of Thurlow
Weed and Samuel Heron, who changed its name to
The Anti- Masonic Inquirer. D. N. Sprague succeeded Heron,
and Weed retired in 1830. In 1831 Erastus Shepard
united the Western Spectator of Palmyra with it. In
1832, Alva Strong became connected with Shepard in
the publication, and in 1834 the paper was merged in
the National Republican.    i

The Craftsman (Masonic) was commenced at Rochester in 1828
by E. J. Roberts. It was published about a year and
a half and then removed to Albany.

The Western Wanderer was commenced at Rochester in 1828 by
Peter Cherry. It soon passed into the hands of Edwin
Scranton, who changed its name to
The Rochester Gem.' It subsequently passed into the hands of
Strong & Dawson, and was discontinued in 1843.

The Spirit of the Age, semi-mo., was published in Rochester in
1830 by Ames
k Barnum.

The Rochester Morning Courier was published in 1830 by E. J.

Roberts.    .

The Genesee Farmer was commenced in Rochester in Jan. 1831,
by Tucker & Stevens, with N. Goodsell as nominal
editor. It was continued by Tucker until the close of
1839, when it was united with the Cultivator, at Al¬
bany.    #

The National Republican was commenced at Rochester in tho .
spring of 1831 by Sidney Smith. In 1833 a daily edi¬
tion, entitled

The Morning Advertiser, was issued from the same office. It
was soon after changed to
The Evening Advertiser, and in 1834 Smith sold the establish¬
ment to Shepard
k Strong, who united the Republican
with the-Inquirer and changed the name to
The Monroe Democrat, and the name of the daily to
The Rochester Daily Democrat. In 1836, George Dawson became
interested in the establishment, and acted as editor
until 1839. In 1846, Alva Strong, Samuel P. Allen,
and Henry Cook were editors and proprietors. In Dec.
1857, the papers were united with the Daily and Weekly
American, and the daily is now issued as
Tlie Daily Democrat and. American, and the
weekly as

The Monroe Democrat, by Strong, Allen & Hunting¬
ton, proprietors, and S. P. Allen, editor.

The Tri-Weekly Democrat is issued from the same
office.

The Rochester Mirror was published in 1832 by Scranton *
Holstein.

The Age was published at Rochester in 1833.

The American Revivalist and Rochester Observer was published
in 1833 by N. C. Saxton.

Goodsell’s Genesee Farmer was commenced at Rochester in 1833
by Nahum Goodsell, and continued a short time.

The Rights of Man was published at Rochester in 1834 by the
Anti-Slavery Society.

The Family. Journal and Christian Philanthropist was published
at Rochester in 1834 by W. B. Van Brunt.

The Monthly Genesee Farmer was commenced in 1836 by Luther
Tucker. It was made up from the Weekly Genesee
Farmer, and, with that paper, was united with the Cul¬
tivator in 1839.

TheWatchman was published at Rochester in 1838 byDelazon
Smith.

McKenzie’s Gazette was published at Rochester in 1838 and ’39
by Alexander McKenzie.

The New Genesee Farmer, mo., was commenced in 1840. M. B.

Bateman, editor. Its name was afterward changed to
The Genesee Farmer* It was successively edited by
Henry Coleman, Daniel Lee, D. D. T. Moore, and James
Vick, and is now edited and published by Joseph
Harris.    v

The Working Man’s Advocate, daily, was commenced in Roches-
ter, Oct. 19, 1839, by the Typographical Association. *
Henry C. Frink, editor. They also issued a weekly
edition. In April, 1840, it was purchased by James
Vick and George P. Frost, who changed its name to
The Evening Advocate, In 1841 it passed into the hands of John
J. Reilly & Co., who changed its name to
The Evening Post, and published it in connection with a weekly
paper called

The Western New Yorker. On the 1st of April, 1843, Erastus
Shepard became proprietor, and in November folk,wing
the two papers were discontinued.

The Rochester Daily Whig, a campaign paper, was published i*
1840 by Wm. A. Welles.



PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2