1 The Madison Freeholder was commenced at Peterboro, be¬
fore or in the early part of 1808, by Jonathan Bunce &
Co. It soon after appeared as
The Freeholder, and was continued until 1813. It was then
The Madison County Herald, and was continued several years..
The Christian and Citizen was published at Peterboro, in 1854,
by Pruyn & Walker.
The Pilot was established at Cazenovia, in Aug. 1808, by Oran
E. Baker, and continued until Aug. 1823.
The Bepublican Monitor was started at Cazenovia, in Sept. 1823,
.by L. L. Eice. It was published by John P. Fairchild
from April, 1825, until Jan. 1832, by J. F. Fairchild
& Son until July, 1840, and by J. F. Fairchild until
March 4,1841, when it was discontinued.
The Students Miscellany, semi-mo., was published at Cazenovia,
in 1831, by A. Owen and L. Kidder.
The Union Herald was commenced in May, 1835, by L. Myrick
and E. W. Clark. In 1836 Clark withdrew; and in 1840
the paper was discontinued.
The Cazenovia Democrat was started in Sept. 1836, by J. W.
* Chubbuck & Co.; it was edited by J. W. Dwinelle. In
Feb. 1837, it was discontinued.
The Madison County Eagle was commenced at Cazenovia, in
Feb. 1840, by Cyrus 0. Pool. In 1841 it was published
by Thos. S. Myrick and W. H. Phillips. In June, 1842,
Myrick withdrew; and in May, 1845, its name was
The Madison County Whig. In Aug. 1848, Phillips was suc¬
ceeded by H, A. Cooledge, by whom the paper was
The Madison County News, in Oct. 1853. In May, 1854, it was
again changed to
The Madison County Whig ; and in Jan. 1857, it was discontinued.
The Abolitionist was started at Cazenovia, in 1841, by Luther
Myrick, and continued 2 years.
The Madison and Onondaga Abolitionist was published in 1843,
by Luther Myrick.
The Madison Bepublic was commenced at Cazenovia, in Jan.
1850, by W. H. Phillips, and continued about 3 months.
The Cazenovia Gazette was published by Baker & Debnam, from
Oct. 1851, until May, 1852.
The Progressive Christian was established in April, 1853, by A.
Pryne, and was continued 2 years.
The Cazenovia lie publican was commenced May 1,
1854, by Seneca Lake, its present publisher.
The Gazette and Madison County Advertiser was established at
Peterboro in May, 1817, by John B. Johnson and son.
It was removed to Morrisville in 1819, and discontinued
The Madison Observer was commenced at Cazenovia, in Jan.
1821, by Rice & Hale. It was removed to Morrisville
in 1822; and in 1824 Bennett Bicknell became its pub¬
lisher. In 1829 it was united with The Hamilton Be-
corder, and was issued as
The Observer and Becorder. In 1832 it passed into the hands
of H. C. Bicknell and Jas. Norton, and in 1834 into
those of Jas. Norton. In 1835 it was changed to
Tlie Madison Observer; In 1839 J. and E. Norton
became its publishers, and in 1856 Edward Norton, by
whom it is still published.
The Hamilton Becorder was started in 1817, by John G. Stower
and P. B. Havens. In 1819 it passed into the hands of
Stower & Williams, and afterward into those of John
P. Van Sice. In 1829 it was removed to Morrisville
and united with The Observer.
The Madison Farmer was published at Hamilton, in 1828, by
The Civilian was started July 27, 1830, by ' Lorin Dewey. In
Feb. 1831, it passed into the hands of Lewison Fairchild,
and in Nov. 1831, it was discontinued.
The Hamilton Courier was commenced by G. R. Waldron, in
Feb. 1834, and the following year it appeared as
f \e Hamilton Courier and Madison Co. Advertiser. It was con¬
tinued until 1838.
The Hamilton Palladium was started in 1838, by John Atwood,
and continued 6 years, a part of the time by J. & D. At¬
The Hamilton Eagle was published in 1839, by G. R. Waldron.
The Literary Visitor was published at Hamilton about 3 months,
in 1842, by Dennis Redman.
The Democratic Bejlector was started at Hamilton by G. R. Wal¬
dron, in 1842, and was published by Waldron & Baker
from 1843 until 1854, and 2 years by Wsfldron alone,
when it was united with The Madison Co. Journal,
and appeared as
The Democratic Republican. It is now published
by Waldron & James.
The Madison County Journal was commenced in Sept. 1849, by
E. F. & C. B. Gould. W. W. Chubbuck, F. B. Fisher,
and T. L. James were afterward interested in its publi¬
cation ; and in 1856 it was united with The Democratic
The Mill Boy "I were published during the campaign of 1844,
and >the former at the Palladium and the latter at
The Politer ) the Reflector office.
The Land Mark was published as a campaign paper in 1850.
The New York State Badii was removed from Fort Plain, Mont¬
gomery co., in 1854, by L. S. Backus, and continued
about 18 months, when it was returned to Fort
The Democratic Union was commenced at Hamilton,
in 1856, by Levi S. Backus; and in 1857 it passed into
the hands of W. H. Baker, its present publisher.
The Canastota Begister was published in 1830, by Silas Judd
and H. B. Mattison, and in 1831 by H. S. Merritt.
The Canastota Times was commenced in 1857, by Geo. H. Mer-
riam, and was discontinued the following year.
The Canastota Eagle was started Nov. 4, 1858, by J. E.
N. Backus, its present publisher,
The Chittenango Herald was established in 1832, by Isaac Lyon,
and was published successively as
The Chittenango Bepublican,
The Phoenix, and
The Democratic Gazette, until 1856, when it was discontinued.
The De Buyier Herald was published in 1835, by C. W. Mason.
The Protestant Sentinel was brought from Schenectady to De
Ruyter in Nov. 1836, and was published by J. & C. H.
Maxson until the fall of 1837. It then passed into the
hands of Wm. D. Cochran, by whom it was issued as
The Protestant Sentinel and Seventh Day Baptist Journal. In
Feb. 1840, Joel Greene became its publisher, and changed
The Seventh Day Baptist Begister. In 1841 it passed into the
hands of James Bailey, by whom it was continued until
The National Banner was commenced at De Ruyter in Oct.
1847, by A. C. Hill, and continued 2 years.
The Central New Yorker was published at De Ruyter, by E. F.
& C. B. Gould, from Sept. 1848, until May, 1851.
The Banner of the Times was started at De Ruyter, by Walker
& Hill, and continued until 1855.
The Oneida Telegraph was commenced at Oneida, in Sept. 1851,
by D. H. Frost. In June, 1854, it passed into the hands
of John Crawford, and was changed to
The Oneida Sachem, under which name it is still pub¬
The Circular was established in 1852, and is published
weekly at the Oneida Community.
2 The following is a list of these townships within the limits
of this co.:
Nelson................. No. 1.
Lebanon............ No. 5.
Georgetown “ 6.
Brookfield “ 19 & 20.
Eaton.................... “ 2.
Madison ...... “ 3.
Hamilton !........ “ 4.
The Canastota Tract in this co. was granted in lieu of the
school lots reserved in the “Twenty Towns;” but by some over
sight was sold with those lands,
s See page 461.