Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 370
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


KINGS COUNTY.

of Brooklyn, for the encouragement of music, was incorp. May 6, 1857. The Brooklyn Horti¬
cultural Society
was incorp. April 9, 1854, and holds annual fairs. The Hunt Horticultural and
Botanical Garden
was incorporated April 9, 1855, with a capital of $150,000. It has a garden of
16 acres.

370


The Brooklyn City Hospital, on Raymond St. near De Kalb Avenue, was incorp. May 8, 1845.
Its present buildings were opened April 28, 1852. It is supported by voluntary contributions and
legislative appropriations. The
Brooklyn City Dispensary, located at 109 Pineapple St., was
incorp. March 5, 1850. It is supported in the' same manner as the hospital. The
Brooklyn Dis¬
pensary,
(Homeopathic,) 83 Court St., was incorp. Dec. 3, 1852. It is supported by private sub¬
scriptions. The
Williamsburg Dispensary, on the corner of 5th and South Sts., was incorp. March

4. 1851; 2,221 persons received medical treatment at the> institution in 1857. It is supported by
private contributions. The
Brooklyn Central Dispensary, 473 Pulton St., was incorp. Dec. 11,
1855. The
Brooklyn German General Dispensary is located at 145 Court St. The Brooklyn Eye
and Ear Infirmary,
109 Pineapple St., was incorp. March 27,1851.

The Orphan Asylum Society was incorp. May 6, 1834. The institution is situated upon a fine
site on Cumberland St. near Myrtle Avenue.

The Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum of Brooklyn was incorp. May 6,1834. The asylum for
boys is located at the corner of Clinton and Congress Sts., and the fysylum for girls upon Congress
St. near Clinton. The former has 120 inmates, and the latter 250. The girls are under the
Charge of the Sisters of Charity. The support of these institutions is principally derived from the
income of a large property bequeathed by Cornelius Heeney and under the charge of the Brook¬
lyn Benevolent Society
.1 *

The Brooklyn Association for Improving the Condition of the Poor was formed March 26, 1844.
It numbers about 180 visitors, whose duty it is to investigate the condition of the poor in every
part of the city, afford such temporary relief in the way of food and clothing as the cases may
warrant, and to refer the needy to the appropriate sources for permanent relief. This association
distributes $6,000 to $7,000 per year. The
Brooklyn Benevolent Society, founded upon a bequest
of Cornelius Heeney, was incorp. in May, 1845. It is managed by 11 trustees, of whom the
Archbishop of N. Y. and the Mayor of Brooklyn are
ex officio members. Its funds are principally
devoted to the support of various Catholic charities. The
Brooklyn Society for the Relief of
Respectable and Indigent Females,
incorp. in 1851, was founded by John B. Graham, who erected
a fine edifice, corner of Washington and De Kalb Sts., as a home for the unfortunates named in
the title. It derives its support from private subscriptions. The
Children’s Aid Society was organ¬
ized in Feb. 1854, as an industrial school. The
Brooklyn Industrial School Association, under the
management of ladies of the several churches, was incorp. April 4, 1854. It has established
schools in different parts of the city for girls who do not attend the public schools, and who are
entirely deprived of moral training. The
Brooklyn Female Employment Society, an association
of ladies to furnish employment to respectable females who may be reduced to want, was incorp.
April 19, 1854. Its office and salesroom is at 65 Court St. The
Church Charity Association for
the relief of the aged, sick, and indigent was incorp. in March, 1851. It is under the patronage
of the Prot. E. Church.

The churches of Brooklyn are justly celebrated for their general elegance and beauty of archi¬
tectural design. Large numbers of people doing business in New York reside in Brooklyn; and
this has led to the erection of so great a number of churches that the city has been denominated the
“ city of churches.” In 1858 there were 139 churches in the city
.2 Connected with these churches
are various religious and charitable societies
.3 The Freemasons, Odd Fellows, and Sons of Tem-

8 The following is a list of the principal of these societies, with
the dates of their formation:—

The Brooklyn City Tract Society........................ 1830

The Brooklyn Bible Society  ..................... 1841

The Prot. Benevolent and Library Association ......1844

The Wiiliamsburgh Bible Society....................... 1845

The Navy Mission S. S. Association  ........... June 16,1849

Tbe Brooklyn Female Bible Society.................... 1850

Tbe Benev. Asso. of the Ch. of the Holy Trinity.... May 10, 1850

The Warren Street Mission ...................... Feb. 3, 1853

The Wiiliamsburgh City Mission Society............. March, 1853

The Brooklyn Y. M. Chris. Association............... Dec. —, 1853

The Mount Prospect Mission Society................,.    Jan. 23, 1854

The Hope Mission School .-........................... Mar. 16, 1854

The Brooklyn Sunday-School Union................... Sept. 12, 1854

The Brotherhood of the Prot. E. Churches %Sept.21,1854

The Howard'Benev. Society (Unita.).................'. Dec. —-, 1854

The Convocation for Church Extension (Prot. E.).. June 25, i854
The Vanderbilt Av. Mission S. S........................ Mar. 16.1858



PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2