Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 361
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


JEFFERSON COUNTY.

RODMAN1—was formed from Adams, March 24, 1804, under the name of “Harrison.” Its
name was changed April
6, 1808. A part of Pinckney (Lewis co.) was taken off in 1808. It
lies upon the borders of Lewis, in the s. part of the co. The surface is hilly, and broken by the
deep ravines of Sandy Creek and its branches. The soil is generally a fertile, gravelly loam.
There are 3 sulphur springs in town. Rodman (p.v.) has 45 houses, Zoar and Wliites-
ville2 (E. Rodman p.o.) each about 20. Settlement began in 1801, and from 1803 to 1806 it
progressed with great rapidity
.3 In 1813 an epidemic prevailed, causing 60 deaths in 3 months.
The census reports 3 churches
.4

361


RUTLAND5—was formed from Watertown, April 1, 1802. It lies upon the s. bank of Black
River,
e. of the center of the co.. Its surface consists of the narrow river valley on the n., a
terraced plateau in the center, and a hilly region in the s. The central plateau, embracing the
greater part of the town, is 300 to 400 feet above the fiat country farther
n., and it descends by a
succession of steep declivities to the level-of the river. It is underlaid by Trenton limestone.
Upon the s. the surface gradually rises to the summits of the slate hills which occupy the s. part
of the co. A remarkable valley, known as “Rutland Hollow,” extends through the town upon
the lower terrace of the plateau, parallel to the river. It is deeply excavated in the limestone,
and appears like the bed of an ancient river. Another valley, smaller and deeper, extends in
the same direction across the summit of the plateau, and forms the bed of a deep, narrow lake.
Pleasant Lake, in Champion, is situated in the continuation of the latter valley. These valleys
and terraces seem the result of abrasion rather than of upheaval. Upon the edge of the terrace,
100 feet below the summit, may be seen the ancient lake ridge before described. There are 2 or 3
sulphur springs in town. The soil is a very fertile loam upon the plateau, and a sandy loam upon
the river. Felts Mills,6 (p.v.,) on Black River, contains 50 houses; Black River,6 (p.v.,)
on the river, partly in this town and partly in Le Ray, 40; Tylerville,7 (South Rutland p. o.,)
in the narrow valley of Sandy Creek, 30; and Rutland Center,8 (Rutland p.o.,) 10. This
town fell to the share of Wm. Henderson, and settlement was begun in 1799, under Asher Miller,
his agent. The greater part of the land was sold
9 to New England farmers, who came in within
3 years after the first settlement
.10 An old Indian fort is to be seen on the farm of Geo. Wilson;
and a bone pit was found near the line of Watertown. The census reports 5 churches
.11

THERESA—was formed from Alexandria, April 15, 1841, and named from a daughter
of Le Ray. It is the central town upon the
n. w. border of the co. The surface along Indian
River is broken, and traversed by ridges of gneiss rock, with fertile intervales. A part of the
town, underlaid by sandstone, is level or undulating. In the primary regions are a number of ro¬
mantic lakes; and some of these have highly interesting mineral localities upon their shores and
islands
.12 Tiieresa, (p.v.,) upon the High Falls13 of the Indian River, was early selected by
Le Ray as a favorable point for settlement, and about 1810 he caused several “jobs” to be cleared
and a sawmill to be built
.14 West Theresa is a p. o. A furnace, built near Millseat Lake in
1847, was in part supplied with ores from the vicinity. A private academy has been taught several
years. The census reports 3 churches
.16    ,

King, John Dale, C. Cummings, Gardner Cleveland,-Warren
Foster, and John Cotes. Miss A. Porter taught the first school,
in 1803. Levi Butterfield kept the first inn, and Jacob "Williams
the first store. David Coffeen built the first gristmill in the
co., near the mouth of Mill Creelsmin the present village of
Felts Mills, in 1801, and a sawmilrin 1802. The first child
born was in the family of Chas. Kelsey, and the first death, that
of Mrs. Francis Towne.    12 2 M. E., 2 Union, and Cong.

13 Fluorspar, sulphate of barytes, sulphurets of iron and
copper, phosphate of lime, zircon, feldspar, tsurmaline, hyalite,
pyroxene, Rensselaerite, idocrase, calcite, phlogopite, and other
minerals, are found in this locality', and some of them are beau¬
tifully crystallized. Iron ore has been found in considerable
quantity.

14 The river here descends 85 feet within a quarter of a mile.
From this place to Rossie its banks are low, and large tracts are
often overflowed, causing-much sickness. A smali steamer has
run upon this part of the river.

15 Among the first settlers were James Shurtliff, Anson and
Jeremiah Cheeseman, M. B. Ashley, Sylvester Bodman, Azariah
Walton, Col. S. Ball, Abram Morrow, Joseph Miller, Archibald
Fisher, Jas. Lake, Ebenezer and N. W. Lull, and J. D. Davison.
Mr. Lull built the first store, in 1820. Dr. Jas. Brooks, the first
physician, settled in 1822, and died the next year. The first
school was taught by Lindley Gibbs, at Hyde Lake. The first
child horn was Fanny A. Cole, May 26,1819. The first marriage
was that of Ebenezer Lull and Almira Barnes. The first death
was that of Mr. Casselman, who was drowned. A gristmill and
inn were erected in' 1819 for the proprietor.

I® Presb., M. E., and Prot. E.


1

It embraces No. 8, or “Orpheus,” of the “Eleven Towns.” Its
former name was from Richard Harrison, of N. Y., a proprietor;
and its present one, from Daniel Rodman, of Hudson, Clerk of
the Assembly in 1808-09.

2

Named from Thos. White, sub-agent and early settler.

3

Among the settlers who came in this year were Anson and
Ebenezer Moody, Noah, Jonathan, and Aaron Davis, Benj.
Thomas, Wm. Rice, and Simeon Hunt. Miss M. Nobles taught
the first school, in Anson Moody’s barn, in 1803. Willard Sykes
kept the first store; and Wm. Rice built the first sawmill, in
1804, and gristmill, in 1806. The first child born was Walter
Harrison Moody; and the first death, that of the same child, 3
years after. His father received 50 acres of land from Mr. Har¬
rison for the name. Timothy Greenly moved into the s. w. corner
of the town in 1803.

4

2 M. E., Cong.

5

No. 3, or “ Milan,” of the “ Eleven Towns.” Named from Rut¬
land, Vt., the former home of an early settler.

6

t Locally known as “ Lockport.” See p. 359.

7

Named from Josiah and Frederick Tyler, early settlers.

8

On some maps called ‘f Brooksville,” from Curtis G. Brooks,

9

a former citizen. It is never known by this name in town.

10

1° 17,549 acres were sold, in farms within 3 years, for $-50,738.

11

u Among the settlers who came in during the first and second

12

years were Levi Miller, Perley and Wm. Keyes, David and Gold¬

13

smith Coffeen, Amos Stebbins, Raphael Porter, Israel Wright,

14

Jonathan and Clark Ross, Jas. Kilham, Chas, Kelsey, Jephtha


PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2