Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 328
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


828    GENESEE    COUNTY.

loam intermixed with clay. Stafiford (p. v.) lies on Black Creek, near the center of the town.
It is a station on the C.
& N. E. branch of the N. Y. C. II. R., and contains 3 churches, a private
seminary, and a pop. of 3-50. Morganvflie1 (p. v.) contains 2 churches, 2 sawmills, a flour¬
ing mill, a brown earthen ware factory, and 200 inhabitants. A fall in Black Creek at this
place is 30 ft. perpendicular and 30 ft. in rapids, affording a fine water power.2 Hoanolie,3
(p.v.,) formerly “
Orangeburgh,” contains a church, several mills,, and 20 dwellings. The settle¬
ment was commenced in 1801, by Col. Wm. Rumsey and Gen. Worthy Lovel Churchill, (from Yt.,)
who located on the Buffalo Road, w. of Stafford.4 The first religious services were held at the
house of Col. Rumsey, by Rev. Mr. Green. The first church (Bap.) was formed by Rev. Amos
Lampson, in 1815.5

Acres of Land, Valuation, Population, Dwellings, Families, Freeholders, Schools, Live
Stock, Agricultural Products, and Domestic Manufactures, of Genesee County.

Names of Towns.

Acres of Land.

Valuation op 1858.

Population.

1

1

Cl

o-

4

1

4

1

Schools.

Improved.

"S

0

1
J.

e

"e

Personal

Property.

Total.

1

Females.

No. of
Districts.

Children

taught.

Alabama................

18,345*

10,194*

805,535

43.350

848.885

1,159

1,035

416

436

315

14

903

Alexander..............

17,234

4,539

769,370

66,650

836,020

911

887

351

378

268

14

585

Batavia..................

20,803*

5,320*

2,371,128

723,600

3,094,728

2,653

2,651-

924

990

723

16

1,705

Bergen...................

12.504

4.126

684,266

40,410

724,676

905

895

366

363

303

9

638

Bethany.................

18,118

4,882*

517,316

48,338

565,654

925

954

356

382

327

11

604

Byron....................

15,409

4,162

775,776

151,835

927,611

843

798

313

329

272

9

562

Darien...................

23,527

6,907

696,870

71,282

768,152

1,112

1,064

418

435

362

16

822

Elba......................

15,614

6.535

678,131

112,130

790,261

959

910

375

384

251

9

616

Le Roy..................

20,427

5,872

1,266,937

392,770

1,659,707

2,117

2,098

716

532

511

13

1,363

Oakfield..................

9,208*

3,476*

398,916

36,600

435,516

817

693

286

279

178

8

589

Pavilion.................

16,986*

4,322*

606,308

81,400

687,708

915

843

323

333

280

10

536

Pembroke...............

15,187*

12,297*

814,001

38.600

852,601

1,432

1.412

549

566

452

14

977

Stafford..................

15,648

3,098

773,125

151,099

924,224

1,073

982

360

385

186

9

744

Total................

219,012*

75,732

11,157,679

1,958,064

13,115,743

15,821

15,222

5,753

5,792

4,428

152

10,644

1 Named from the wife of Wm. Morgan, of masonic notoriety.

2 Two caves are found in the w. bank of the creek a few rods
below the falls.

a Named from the residence of John Randolph by Major Jas.
Ganson.

4 Peter Stage (from Onondaga co.) settled in 1802. Benj. Gan¬
son and John Annis were the first settlers in the e. part of the
town. Gen. W. L. Churchill served with credit in the War of
1812, and subsequently as sheriff of Genesee co. from 1820 to
1825. The first birth was that of a child of W. L. Churchill,
March 9, 1803; and the first death, that of the wife of W. L.

Churchill, at about the same time. The first school was taught
by Esther Sprout, in 1806. Frederick Walthers kept the first inn,
at Stafford Village, in 1799; and this was one of the first three
taverns kept on the Holland Purchase. The village was then
known as the “
Transit Store House” from its being the principal
supply station for the surveying company while running the
Transit Line.” The first sawmill was built on Bigelow Creek,
in 1810, by Amos Stow; and the first gristmill, on the same
stream, in 1811, by Seymour Ensign.

5 The census reports 7 churches in town; 2 M. E., and 1 each
Prot. E., Cong., Bap., Christian, and Univ.



PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2