FULTON COUNTY. 315
courthouse. The average number of inmates is 50, supported at an average cost of $1.25 per week
each. The children attend the public school. The farm yields a revenue of $200.
Four weekly newspapers are now published in the co.1
The history of this co. is intimately connected with that of Sir William Johnson and his family.
At the age of 21, Johnson came to America as agent of his uncle, Sir Peter Warren, and located
in the Mohawk Yalley. He soon became identified with the interests of that section of the colony,
and a zealous promoter of its prosperity. He was appointed Indian Agent, learned the language
of the natives, adopted with facility their habits when it suited his interests, and gradually ac¬
quired an ascendency over these people which his official relations served to strengthen. His suc¬
cessful management in the expedition to Lake George in 1755 gave him a high position in the
esteem of the home Government, and secured him, as an especial favor, the grant of a large tract
of land n. of the Mohawk, as a direct gift from the king. He was also honored with knighthood.
His first residence was fixed at what is still known as Fort Johnson, on the Mohawk, in the town
of Amsterdam; but about 1761 he removed to a new mansion, near the village of Johnstown, still
standing, and known as Johnson Hall. At this time he possessed an estate that had few rivals in
extent and value in the country; his tenants were numerous and attached to his interests, and the
prospects of future greatness to his family were most flattering. On the approach of the Revolu¬
tion he is supposed to have been liberally inclined; but his duty to the Government, whose offices he
held, forbade him from favoring the cause of the colonies, while his attachment to his neighbors
and the inhabitants of the colony rendered the thought of any measures tending to their ruin
extremely painful to his feelings. It was apparent that a struggle between the mother country
and the colonies must ensue; but, with the prescience that foreshadowed the significant purpose of
his mind, he intimated to his friends that he should never live to see it, and he besought the British
Government to appoint his son to his office,—that of Indian Agent. He died suddenly at Johnson
Hall, on tlie afternoon of June 24, 1774, at the age of nearly sixty years.2
The Gloversville Standard was >.r>mmenced in Sept.
1856, by W. H. Case, and is still published.
2 It has been the general belief that Sir William ended his
own life; and theic is not much doubt but that he hung him¬
self in his garden. His gardener, who found him and took
him down, intimated, in his old age, facts which confirm this
belief; and his will—dated Jan. 27, 1774—indicates that the
near approach of death was a familiar thought, as his burial
was an event for which he gave the most minute directions. In
this instrument—after commending his soul to God, who gave it
—he directs his body to be buried in the place he had selected
by the side of his wife, Catharine. He directs mourning for his
housekeeper, Mary Brant, and her children, and for young
Brant and William, half-breed Mohawks, and for his servants
and slaves. The sachems of both Mohawk villages are to be
invited to his funeral, and to receive each a black stroud
blanket, crape, and gloves, which they were to receive and wear
as mourners next after his family. The bearers'are to have
white scarf, crape, and gloves; and the whole cost of the funeral
is not to exceed £300. The funeral debt is to be first paid by
Sir John, out of his 3 per cent, consolidated annuities, within 0
months. He bequeathed to Peter £300, and to the other
children of Mary Brant (7 in number) £100 each,—the interest
to be expended on their education. To young Brant, alias
Kaghneghago, and William, alias Tagawirunta, two Mohawk
lads, £100 York currency each; to Sir John, his son, one-half
of the rest of his money; and to Daniel Claus and Guy Johnson,
his sons-in-law, each one-half of the remainder. He then gives
his library and plate, slaves, stock, and personal estate, (certain
portions excepted,) to Sir John; and his landed estate is divided
between his children and friends, specifically naming to each
the lots they are to receive, and especially enjoining upon his
children never to sell or alienate any portion of the Royal Grant,
as he had received it as a free gift from the king. The legatees
of his lands were Sir John and Col. Guy Johnson, Daniel Claus,
each of the children of Mary Brant, and her brothers, Joseph
and William, Mary McGrah, John and Warren Johnson, his
brothers, and Dease, Sterling, Pluuket, and Fitzimons, brothers-
in-law, and John Dease, his nephew. To Robert Adams, Joseph
Chew, and Wm. Byrne, old friends, and Patrick Daly, a servant,
he gave the free use for life of certain lands. And he provided for
the further division of his estate in case Sir John died without
issue. He appointed as his executors, his sqn, two sons-in-law,
two brothers, and Dan’l Campbell, of Schenectady, John Butler,
Jellis Fonda, Capt. Jas. Stevenson, of Albany, Dr. John Dease,
Henry Frey, and Jos. Chew. The guardians of the children of
Mary Brant were John Butler, Jellis Fonda, John Dease, James
Stevenson, Henry Frey, and Joseph Chew. Each executor and
guardian was to receive a ring, as a memento from their once
sincere friend. Sir William was buried in a vault under the
Episcopal church in Johnstown. About 1793 the vault was
filled up; and Nov.26,1836, the church, with its bell and organ,
(the presents of Sir William,) were burned. The spot of his
burial is just outside of the present church edifice.
The Johnstowrt Gazette was published in 1796.
The Montgomery Advertiser was published at Johnstown in 1796
by Jacob Doxtader. It soon passed into the hands of
Jas. Smith, and subsequently into the hands of Alvin
Romeyn and Clark. It was afterward continued
several years by David Holden.
The Montgomery Republican was commenced at Johnstown in
Aug. 1806, by Wm. Child. His brother, Asa Child, soon
after became editor. In 1823 Wm. Holland became
owner, and published it 2 years. Peter Mix continued
it until 1834, when the office was burned. The paper
was revived by him; and in Nov. 1836, the office was
again burned, and the publication of the paper was
The Montgomery Intelligencer was commenced in 1806, and dis¬
continued in 1807.
The Montgomery Monitor was commenced at Johnstown in 1808
by Robbins & Andrews. It soon passed into the hands
of Russell Prentice, who sold it in 1824 to Duncan and
Daniel McDonald. In 1828 they removed it, to Fonda,
thence to Canajoharie, and finally to Schoharie.
The Johnstown Herald was removed from Amsterdam in 1824
by Philip Reynolds. It had been published there as
the “ Mohawk Herald.” In 1837 it was removed to
Fonda and published as the “Fonda Herald.”
The Montgomery Freeman was published at Johnstown by
Yates & Co.
The Northern Banner was commenced at Union Mills, Broad-
albin, by John Clark. It was removed in a few months
to Johnstown and published as
The Northern Banner and Montgomery Democrat. In 1837 its
name was changed to
The Montgomery Republican. It was soon afterward sold to
Wm. S. Hawley, who changed its name in 1838 to
The Fulton County Democrat. In 18— it passed
into the hands of A. T. Norton; and in 1842 it was pur¬
chased by Walter N. Clark, its present publisher.
The Christian Palladium, semi-mo., was published in 1836 by
Joseph Badger. It was removed to Albany in 1846
The Fulton County Republican was commenced at
Johnstown in 1838 by Darius Wells. In 1840 Alexander
U. Wells became proprietor; and in 1842 he sold it to
George Henry, its present publisher.
The'Garland, semi-mo., was published at Union Mills by Wm.
Clark. It was afterward issued a short time at Johns¬
The Literary Journal was published at Kingsboro’ in 1843 by
S. R. Sweet.
The Johnstown American was commenced in Jan. 1856, by N.J.
Johnson. In Feb. 1857, it was sold to J.D.Houghtaling.
In April, 1858, its name was changed to
The Johnstown Independent) under which title it is