ERIE COUNTY. 289
limestone. Clarence Hollow, (Clarence p. o.,) near the s. e. comer of the town, contains 3
churches, the Clarence Academy,1 and a pop. of 400; Clarence Center (p.v.) contains 2
churches and about 40 houses. Harris Hill (p. o.) and NTortli Clarence (p. o.) are
hamlets. The first settlement was made at Clarence Hollow in 1799, by Asa Ransom.2 The
census reports 7 churches in town.3 •
COEHEJV1—was formed from Holland, April 2, 1827. It is an interior town, lying s. of tha
center of the co. The surface is an elevated upland, rolling in the e. and hilly in the w. The
w. branch of Cazenove Creek flows through the w. part of the town and is bordered by steep
declivities 150 to 200 ft. high. The soil is a gravelly loam intermixed with clay. Colden,
(p.v.,) on Cazenove Creek, contains a sawmill, a gristmill, and 34 houses; denwood, (p.v.,)
on the same stream, contains 1 church, 3 sawmills, 2 lath mills, a tannery, and 30 houses. The
first settlement was made in 1810, by Richard Buffum.5 The Presbyterian, at Glenwood, is the
only church in town.
COEEEVS—was formed from Concord, March 16, 1821. A part of Brandt was taken off in
1839, and North Collins in 1852. It lies on the s. border of the co., w. of the center. The surface
is a rolling upland, sloping gradually to the w. and descending abruptly to Cattaraugus Creek
upon the s. The summits of the ridges are 150 to 300 ft. above the valleys. Cattaraugus Creek
forms the s. boundary of the town; and the other streams are Clear Creek and its tributaries.
The channels of these streams are narrow and deep. The soil is a clayey loam on the uplands
and a gravelly loam along the streams. Collins Center (p. v.) contains 1 church and 36
houses. Taylors Hollow is a hamlet near the n. w. corner. t4owanda lies partly, in this
town.6 The first settlement was made in 1806, by Jacob Taylor.3 There are 5 churches in town.4
COIVCORD—was formed from “ Willink,” (now Aurora,) March 20, 1812; and Collins and
Sardinia were taken off in 1821. A part of Sardinia was annexed in 1822. It lies upon the s. border
of the co. The surface is a rolling upland, with steep declivities bordering urm Cattaraugus
Creek. Townsend Hill, the highest point, is nearly 1500 ft. above tide. The prin cipal streams are
Cattaraugus Creek, upon the s. boundary of the town, and its tributaries. Several small brooks,
forming the head waters of Eighteen Mile and Cazenove Creeks, take their rise in this town. The
soil in the s. part is a gravelly loam, and in the N. a clayey loam underlaid by hardpan.
Springville^ (p. v.,) incorp. April 11, 1834, is situated in the s. part of the town, and contains
5 churches, the Springville Academy, a newspaper office, and several manufacturing establish¬
ments.5 Pop. 953. Mortons Corners, (p.v.,) in the s. w. part, contains 1 church, 2 saw¬
mills, a gristmill, and 20 houses. Woodwards Hollow (p.o.) is a hamlet. The first settle¬
ment was made in 1808, by Christopher Stone.6 Tbe first church was organized Nov. 2,1816, by
Rev. John Spencer. There are 7 churches in town.11
EAST HAMBIIRGII—was formed from Hamburgh, as “Ellicott,” Oct. 15, 1850. A part
of West Seneca, as “'Seneca,” was taken off in 1851. Its name was changed Feb. 20, 1852. It
is an interior town, lying near the center of tbe co. The surface is a broken upland. Chestnut
Ridge, the highest land in the town, has an elevation of about 500 ft. above Lake Erie. The
declivities of the hills are generally gradual slopes, broken by narrow ravines formed by the
streams. Smokes Creek and its branches are the most considerable streams. The soil is a loam,
gravelly in the n. and clayey in the s. East Hamburgh, (p. v.,) n. of the center of the-town,
The first school was taught by Mary Eddy, in the winter of
1814. ® See page 194.
7 Joshua Palmerton, Stephen Peters, Turner Aldrich, arid
Stephen Lapham settled in the town in 1810, and Stephen Wil¬
bur and Sylvanus Bates in 1811. The first birth was that of a
son of Aaron Lindsley, in 1810; the first marriage, that of
Stephen Peterson and Sarah Palmerton, in 1811; and the first
death, that of Straight, in 1812, Jacob Taylor built the
first mill, in 1812; John Hanford kept the first store, in 1813,
and Nathan King the first inn, in 1816. The first schoc, was
taught by John King, in 1815.
8 Christians, Friends, F. W. Bap., Presb., and Union.
6 A woolen factory, 2 planing mills, a turning shop, a saw,
mill, 2 gristmills, a tannery, a stone sawing mill, and a furnace
and machine shop.
10 John Albro and John Russell settled in the town the same
year, SamT Cochrane in 1809, and Rufus Eaton, Joseph Adams,
Alva Plumb, and David Shultiez in 1810. The first birth was
that of Lucius Stone, in T809; the first marriage, that of Jas.
Bunnell and Anna Richmond, in 1813; and the first death, that
of Mrs. John Albro, in 1808. Anna Richmond taught the first
school, in 1811.
11 Bap., F. W. Bap., M. E., Presb., R. C., Union, and Univ.
Established as the Clarence Classical School in 1841, by J.
Hadley and R. Blennerhassett.
Asa Ransom was a man of considerable influence with tbe
Indians. They gave him the name of “O-wis-ta-no-at-squcHiich,”
signifying “maker of silver,” or “maker of silver money.”
Gen. Timothy Hopkins settled in the town in 1797; Asa Chap¬
man, Timothy James, Wm. Updegraff, Christopher Saddler, Levi
Felton, Abraham Shope, John Haines, and John Gardner, in
1801; Andrew Durnet, Geo. Shurman, Bera Ensign, and Jacob
Shope, in 1803; and Daniel Bailey in 1804. The first birth was
that of Harry B. Ransom, in 1801; and the first death, that of
Keyes, in 1804. Asa Ransom opened the first public house,
in 1801, built the first sawmill, in 1805, and the first gristmill, in
1806; Otis R. Hopkins kept the first store, in 1811. The first
school was taught by Rebecca Hamlin, in 1805.
Silas Lewis in 1811. The first birth was that of a child of Thos.
Pope, in 1811; the first marriage, that of Jas. Sweet and Char¬
lotte Buffum, in 1810; and the first death, that of Nathaniel
Bowen, in 1812. Richard Buffum built the first mill, in 1810.