264 DELAWARE COUNTY.
is a lumber station at the mouth of Mill Creek, in the w. part of the town. A vague tradition
exists of an early settlement of this town by French traders, but no positive proof. In 1762-63 a
party from Hurley, Ulster co., commenced a settlement, which increased rapidly and in a few
years, spread over the Delaware bottom lands.1 The settlers were driven out in 1778,2 but returned
soon after the war. The first church (Ref. Prot. D.) was formed in 1794. There are 3 churches in
town; 2 M. E. and 1 Asso. Ref. Presb.
ROXBIJRY2—was formed from Stamford, March 23, 1799. It occupies the extreme e. por¬
tion of the co. Its surface is a mountainous upland, forming a portion of the great plateau extend¬
ing w. from the Catskill Mts. The declivities of the hills are steep and rocky and are mostly unfit
for cultivation. The highest points on the n. and w. borders of the town are estimated to be 2800
feet above tide. The principal streams are the e. branch of the Delaware, flowing s. w. through
the center of the town, Bear Kil in the e., Batavia Kil and Red Kil in the s., and numerous smaller
creeks. The soil is a reddish clay loam. Roxtoury (p.v.) lies on the Delaware, near the center
of the town. Pop. 232. Moresville,3 (p. o.,) near the n. e. border, Strattons Fall,4 (p. o.,)
in the s., Eittle Falls, upon the e. border, and Batavia Mil are hamlets. The first settle¬
ment was made by John More, a Scotchman, on the site of Moresville, in 1786.6 The first religious
meetings were conducted by Rev. II. Myres.5
SIDNEY6—was formed from Franklin, April 7, 1801. Masonville was taken off in 1811. It
lies upon Susquehanna River, in the n. w. corner of the co. Its surface is a hilly upland, ending in
high bluffs upon the valley of the river. The highest summits are 800 to 1200 ft. above the valley.
Ouleout and Carrs Creeks7 flow w. through the town and empty into the Susquehanna. The valleys
of these streams are deep and narrow7, and are bordered by steep, rocky hills. The soil in the val¬
leys is a fine fertile alluvium, and upon the hills a dark, shaly loam. Sidney, (p. v.,) on the s.
bank of the Susquehanna opposite Unadilla, contains about 25 houses, Sidney Center,
(p.v.,) on Carrs Creek, 3 churches and 20 houses, and Sidney Plains, (p.v.,) upon the Sus¬
quehanna, in the n. w. corner of the town, 2 churches and about 20 houses. In May, 1772, Rev.
Wm. Johnston, with an Indian guide, explored this region of country, and finally selected the
present site of Sidney Plains as a place of settlement.8 Early in 1773 he moved in with his
family, being the first settler in the Susquehanna Yalley within the limits of the State. Several
others soon followed. Just before the war, Gen. Herkimer held an interview with Brant at this
place; and the menacing attitude assumed by the Indians led Johnston and others who sympa-
, * thized with the Continental cause to leave their new home for a less exposed situation. A few
inhabitants remained during the war, and many returned immediately after its close.9 By an act
of April 6, 1790, £800 was granted for the construction' of a road from “ Olehoudt” Creek to
Catskill on the Hudson.10 The census reports 5 churches; 2 M. E., 2 Cong., and 1 Bap.
STAMFORD 11—was formed April 10, 1792. Roxbury was taken off in 1799, and a part
of Bovina in 1820. A part was annexed from Harpersfield and Kortright, April 22, 1834. It lies
n. of Roxbury, on the n. e. border of the co. Its surface is a mountainous upland. Mt. Prospect,
e. of Stamford Village, is estimated to be 1500 ft. higher than the valleys. From its summit
Albany City is visible in a clear day. The streams are the w. branch of the Delaware, forming a
portion of its n. boundary, and Town and Rose Brooks. The soil is principally a reddish clay
7 Tho census reports 8 churches; 3 M. E., 2 O. S. Bap., 2 Bet.
Prot. D., and 1 Christian.
8 Named from Sir Sidney Smith, the British Admiral. The
name was first applied by John Mandeville, an English school¬
master, then living on Sidney Plains.
9 Named in memory of John Carr, a tory, who built a sawmill
upon this stream at an early period.
10 At this place was the site of an old Indian fort. Three acres
of ground were enclosed by mounds of earth surrounded by a
ditch. Prom early times the place has been called “ The Fort
11 The first gristmill w. of Harpersfield was built, in 1778, by
Abm. Fuller, on the Ouleout, near Wattles Ferry. An inn was
opened at the ferry in 1785, by Nathaniel Wattles. The first
raft was sent down to Harrisburgh in 1795, by Capt. David
McMasters. In 1787 a great scarcity of provisions occasioned
much distress in this valley, and the settlers were saved from
starvation by a boat load of flour from Northumberland, Penn.,
got to them through the exertions of Gen. Daniel Bates.
12 The contract for building this road was awarded to Nathaniel
Wattles and MedadHuut; but, proving ruinous, the parties were
relieved, in 1793, by a further grant of £120.
13 Originally named “New Stamford.” from Stamford in Conn.
It is situated on Great Lot No. 42 of Ilardenshurghs Patent.
The first settlers were Ilarmamis and Peter Dnmond, Jo¬
hannes Van Waggoner, and Hendricks, who located near
the old Indian village. Among those who came soon after were
families named Kittle, Yaplo, Brugher, Slyter, Ilinebaugh, Green,
Named from Roxbury, Conn., from which place many of the
early settlers came.
Named from the first settler.
3 Named from an early settler. Strattons Brook falls about
40 feet at this place, furnishing a good water power.
Patchin, Neliemiah Hayes, David Squiers, (most of them from
Fairfield, Conn.,) settled along the valley near the present village
of Roxbury, in 1789.—Gould’s Hist. Dd. Co., 197-98-99. The first
child born was Charlotte, daughter of Nath’l Tiffany, in March,
1792; and the first male child born was John Gould, in Oct. of
the same year. David Smith taught the first school, in the winter
of 179-1-95; Isaac Hardenburgh owned the first store, John More
kept the first inn, and John Pierson built the first gristmill.