Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 260
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


260    DELAWARE COUNTY.

are narrow and are bordered by steep, rocky hillsides. Teunis Lake1 (s.) and Landons Lake (w.)
are small bodies of water. The surface is stony, and the soil is generally a clay loam, ad¬
mirably adapted to grazing. Brushland,2 (p. v.,) on the Little Delaware, contains a tan¬
nery, gristmill, and clothing works. Pop. 183. Bovina,3 (p. v.,) at the junction of Maynard
and Mountain Brooks, contains about a dozen houses.    The

first settlement was begun in 1792, by Elisha, B. Maynard, and during the succeeding 3 years
many families from Conn. and Scotland located in the valleys.4 Rev. James Richie conducted the
first religious services, in 1795. The first church (Un. Presb.) was formed in 1809. The census
reports 3 churches; M. E., Asso. Presb., and Ref, Presb.

COECHESTER5—was formed from Middletown, April 10, 1792. A part was annexed to
Walton in 1799; Hancock was taken off in 1806, and a part of Walton was annexed in 1827. It
occupies a central position upon the s.
e. border of the co. Its surface is a mountainous upland,
broken by the narrow valleys of the streams. The
e. branch of the Delaware flows westward
through the
n. part of the town, dividing the highlands into two distinct parts. From the n. it
receives West Trout, Downs, and Coles Brooks, and from the s. Clearwater and several smaller
brooks. Beaver Kil flows through the s. w. comer, receiving Spring Brook as a tributary. The
valleys of these streams are all narrow, and many hundred feet below the summits of the liills
which rise on either side. The soil is a reddish clay, and is often very stony. A considerable
share of the surface is still covered with forests. Lumbering is extensively pursued. Downs*
ville,4 (p.v.,) on the Delaware, at the mouth of Downs Creek, contains 3 churches. Pop. 206.
Pepacton and Colchester are p. offices. The first settlement was begun in May, 1774.5
The first religious services (Bap.) were conducted by Elder Haynes, and the first church (Bap.) was
formed in 1803. There are now 2 churches in town; M. E. and Presb.

DAVEBfPORT8—was formed from Kortright and Maryland, (Otsego co.,) March 31, 1817.
It lies along the sr. border of the co., E. of the center. Its surface is a broken upland, divided into
two ridges by the valley of Charlotte River, which extends
e. and w. through the center of the
town. These ridges are subdivided by the narrow, lateral valleys of tributaries of Charlotte
River. The soil is a chocolate colored clay loam mixed with slate. Fergnsonville,6 (p.v.,)
on Charlotte River, on the E. border of the town, contains an academy,7 a church, and several manu¬
facturing establishments. Pop. 125. Davenport, (p.v.,) 3 mi. below, contains a population
of 95. Davenport Center (p.v.) contains a cradle and rake factory and 5 sawmills. Pop.
125. "West Davenport8 (p. v.) contains a woolen factory, 3 sawmills, and 90 inhabitants.

The first settlers were Daniel Farnsworth and Pr-oss, who located upon the present site of

Davenport Center in 1786.9 At that time an Indian trail, of sufficient width to admit the passage
of wagons, extended along Charlotte River. Elder Mudge (M. E.) conducted the first religious
services, and commenced regular preaching in 1813.10

DELHI 11—was formed from Middletown, Kortright, and Walton, March 23, 1798. A part
of Bovina was taken off in 1820, and a part of Hamden in 1825. A part was annexed to Walton in

breth, Nathan Elwood, Nathan Fuller, Joseph Gee, Caleb and
Henry Sutton, Jas. Miller, and Dennis, Jared, and John Hitt.
The first birth was that of Catharine, a daughter of Wm. Roe, Dec.
24,1784; and the first death, that of Thomas Gregory. Adam J.
Doll opened the first store, and built the first bridge across the
river at the place now known as Brooks Bridge. Wm. Rose built
a sawmill in 1790. On the farm of Wm. Early, near the mouth
of Coles Brook, is the site of an Indian village, with many of the
apple trees planted by the natives still standing.

8 Named from John Davenport, an early settler and first
supervisor.

8 Named from Messrs. Ferguson, who were largely engaged in
business here.

10 Erected by the Fergusons about 1848.

11 Called Ad-a-quigh-tin-ge, or Ad-i-qua-tan-gie, by the Indians.

12 Among the other first settlers were Humphrey Denio, Geo.

Webster, Daniel Olmstead, - Van Valkenburgh, Harmon

Moore, and Elisha Orr. Dr. Dan’l Fuller came in 1796, and was
the first physician. The first marriages were those of Harmon
Moore and Mary Orr, and Richard Moore and M. Banks, in 1791,
the two marriages taking place at the same time; the first birth
was that of a child of Harmon Moore, who died in infancy; this
was the first death. The first death of an adult was that of Mrs.
Harmon Moore, in 1796. _ Wid. Hannah Dodge taught the first
school; Dan’l Prentice built the first grist and saw mill, in 1792-
93, and it is believed he kept the first inn. Ezra Denio kept the
first store, in 1800.

18 The census reports 5 churches; 3 M. E., F.W. Bap., and Presb.

14 Named through the influence of Judge Ebenezer Foote. The
name of “
Mapleton” was suggested by several prominent citizens.


1

This lake lies near the foot of Mt. Pisgah, and its shores are
muddy, and covered with bushes and coarse grass. It was
named from a friendly Indian who saved the early settlers of
Middletown from massacre by giving them a timely warning.
His hut was near the lake, and he remained several years after
the war. Tradition attributes to this region rich lead mines
known only to Indians.

2

Named from Alex. Brush, first settler and proprietor.

3

s Locally known as “ Butt End.”

4

Name applied by Joseph Gee, from Colchester, Conn.

5

6 Named from Abel Downs, who erected there extensive tan¬
neries and mills.

6

S. Shaver,- Silas Bowker, Peter, Harry, and Nehemiah Avery,

7

Jacob Bramhart, Daniel and Wm. Parish, and Wm. Rose, began

8

settlement before the war, but were driven off hy the Indians

9

and tories. Before leaving they buried their iron implements,

10

to preserve them. After the war several of the families returned,

11

and were joined hy Wm. Horton, Abraham Sprague, Thos. Cal-


PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2