Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 227
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


CHENANGO COUNTY.

and was the first church of that denomination in the co. Elder Kellogg continued its pastor about
30 years.    ’

227


G UIEFORD—was formed from Oxford, April 3, 1813, as “Eastern ” Its name was changed
March 21, 1817. It lies on the
e. border of the co., s. of the center. The surface is hilly and
broken, consisting of the elevated lands between Chenango and Unadilla Rivers, the hills rising
200 to 700 feet above the valleys. It is drained by the Unadilla, which forms the entire
e. boundary,
Guilford Pond Creek,1 and several other smaller streams. The soil is a gravelly and slaty loam,
occasionally intermixed with clay. Guilford, (p.v.,) located in the valley of Guilford Pond
Creek, contains 3 churches, an iron foundery and machine shop, and several mills; pop. 263.
Guilford Center (p.v.) contains 2 churches and 20 dwellings. East Guilford, (p.v.,)
in the
s.e. corner of the town, contains a church, a mill, and 15 dwellings. Mount Upton,
(p.v.,) upon thew. bank of the Unadilla, contains 4 churches, several mills, and other manu¬
facturing establishments; pop. 190. Rockdale, (p.v.,) on the river, 4 miles below Mount
Upton, contains 2 churches, a grist and sawmill, and 25 dwellings. The first settlement was
made in 1787, by Ezekiel Wheeler, a little
n. of Mount Upton, on the farm now occupied by his
grandson, Silas Wheeler, 2d.2 The first church (Bap.) was formed by Elder Orange Spencer,
in 1803.3    .    ’

EINCK.EAEN4—was formed from German, April 12,1823. Parts of Pitcher were taken off in *
1827 and ’33. It is the
n. w. corner town of the co. Its surface is a hilly, broken upland, divided
into ridges by narrow ravines extending
n. and s. The declivities of the hills are usually steep,
and the summits are 400 to 600 feet above the valleys. .Mud Creek, a branch of the Otselic, flows
s. through the w. part of the town. Ashbel Brook and several other small streams take their rise
in the s. and E. parts. The soil is a shaly and clayey loam. Einckluen, (p.v.,) on Mud
Creek, contains a church and 15 dwellings. Rufdick Settlement, in the
n. part, contains
a church and 12 dwellings. Nortk Eincklaen is a p.o. in the
n.e. part. The first settle¬
ments were made about 1796. The first religious services were held by Rev. Seth Williston, In
1798. The census reports 4 churches in town.5

MACDONOUGH6 —was formed from Preston, April 17, 1816. It is an interior town, lying
w. of the center of the co. The surface is hilly, and in some places broken by deep ravines and
sharp ridges extending
n. and s.* It is drained s. by Bowmans and Genegantslei Creeks and
several other streams. Genegantslet Lake lies near the w. border. The soil is a clay loam, better
adapted to grazing than tillage. Macdonougli, (p.v.,) on Genegantslet Creek, contains 2
churches, several mills, and 168 inhabitants. East MacdonQUgil (p. v.) contains 1 church
and 14 dwellings. The first settlements were made in 1795, by Nathaniel Locke, Loring and
Emery Willard, Henry Ludlow, and others.7 The first religious association (M. E.) was formed in
1798. The first church edifice (F. W. Bap.) was erected in 1831; Elder Steer was the first pastor.8

NEW BERLIN—was formed from Norwich, April 3, 1807, changed to “ Lancaster” May
9, 1821, and original name restored March 22, 1822. A part of Sherburne was taken off in 1852.
It lies upon the
e. border of the co., n. of the center. Its surface is a rolling and hilly upland,
the ridges extending
n. and s. Unadilla River forms its e. boundary; and Great Brook flows s

f This stream has a fall of 140 feet in passing: through Guilford
Village, affording a fine and very valuable water-power.

2 Joshua Mercereau and his brother (Frenchmen) settled at
the mouth of Guilford Creek, and erected the first mill in town,

in 1789. James Phelps and Button settled near Rockdale

in 1790; Robert McLeod, on Lot 1, and Isaac Fuller, from Guil¬
ford, Conn., in 1791; Dan’l Savage, John Nash, and Nelson Rob¬
bins, from Ballston Spa, in 1792, at and near the old Four Cor¬
ners; John Secor, from Ilaverstraw, on Lot 2; . Gurdon and
Wyatt Chamberlin,at Mount Upton; Wm.and Nathaniel Hyer,
■—all in 1793. Major Richmond and his sons Joseph and Seth,
Asa Haven, father of Hon. Solomon G. Haven, of buffalo, Dan’l
T. Dickinson, father of Hon. Daniel S. Dickinson, of Bingham¬
ton, Caleb Burdick, Sam’l Smith, and Paris Windsor were also
among the pioneer settlers of the town. The first child .born
was Prudence Fuller, in April, 1791; the first, marriage, that

of Powell and the widow of Isaac Fuller, in 1793; and the

first death, that of Isaac Fuller, in 1793. Ezekiel Wheeler kept
the first inn, in 1796; and Sullivan Reynolds kept the first store
and erected the first mill on the Unadilla, in 1790. The first
school was taught by Nathan Bennett, in 1794.

3 The census reports 12 churches; 5 M. E., 2 Bap., 2 Cong.,
Presb., Prot. E., and Union.

< Named from John Lincklaen, former proprietor of the town¬
ship and several adjacent tracts. Among the early settlers were

Guerdon Wells, Abel Fairchild, Elisha Catlin, Joseph Pulford,
 Backus, Nathaniel Gray, Wolcott Bennett. Joseph Dar¬
ling, Jesse Catlin, Aaron Peet, John Wilson, Elisha Blount,

Christopher Shipman, and  Walters. The first child born

was Matilda Wells, about 1800; and the first death, that of a
child of Christopher Shipman. Wm. Bly taught the first school;
Elisha Catlin kept the first inn; Fairchild Brothers, the first
store; Catlin
& Shipman built the first sawmill, and J. Pulford
the first gristmill.    '

5 Bap., Seventh Day Bap., Cong., and M. E.

6 Named in honor of Commodore Macdonough.

7 Edward Colburn, Benj. Ketchum, Benj. Kenyon, Ephrain
Fish, John Anderson, Nehemiah Dunbar, Jonah and Sylvanns
Moore, Joseph aud Ransom Cook, Wm. Mead, Wm. Norton,
Danl.Wainwright, Adam Oyshterbank, and M. Turner-settled in
town from 1795 to 1S08. The first marriage was that of Syl va-
nus Moore and wife; and the first death, that of Mrs. Benj.
Ketchum. The first school was taught by Capt. Joshua A.
Burke. Sylvanus Moore kept the first inn, in 1799, and Henry
Ludlow the first store, in 1802. Gates Wilcox erected the first
gristmill, in 1818; John Nevins, the first paper mill, in 1828, at
Macdonough Village. Henry Ludlow built the first sawmill, on
the outlet of Ludlow Pond, in 1798.

8 The census reports 4 churches; Bap., M. E., Presb., and
Union.



PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2