(p.v.,) situated near the E. border, contains 2 churches, a paper mill, saw and grist mill, and 406
inhabitants. Hfigliam, in the s. part, is a p. o. Shumla is a hamlet, near the s.e. corner.
David Eaton and Thomas MeClintock, from Penn., settled at Fredonia, in 1804.1 The first church
(Bap.) was organized Oct. 20, 1808, at the house of Judge Cushing.2
PORTLAND —was formed from Chautauqua, April 9, 1813, Ripley was taken off in 1817,
and a part of Westfield in 1829. It lies upon Lake Erie, a little w. of the center of the co. Its
surface is level along the lake shore, but broken and hilly in the center and w. Its streams are
small creeks and brooks flowing into Lake Erie. The soil is a clay and gravelly loam
Centerville, (Portland p. o.,) near the center, contains 2 churches and 233 inhabitants;
Salem, (Brocton p. o.,) in the n. e. part, contains 2 churches and 258 inhabitants. The first
settlement was made a little w. of the center, by Capt. Jas. Dunn, in 1805.3 The first religious
meeting was held at the house of Capt. Dunn, in 1810, by Rev. John Spencer, who afterward
organized the first church (Cong.) in 1817.*
RIPUEY 4—was formed from Portland, March 1, 1817. A part of Westfield was taken off in
1829. It lies upon Lake Erie, in the sr. w. corner of the co. Its surface is level along the lake
shore, and broken and hilly in the s. e. The highest summits are 800 ft. above the lake. It is
drained by Twenty Mile Creek and its tributaries and a large number of small streams flowing
into the lake. The soil is a clay and gravelly loam. Along the lake shore are several valuable
stone quarries. Quincy, (Ripley p. o,,) about 1 mi. e. of the lake, contains 2 churches and 289
inhabitants. State Line is a station on-the B. &E. R. R. Josiah Farnsworth, from the e. part
o.f the State, settled at Quincy in 1804. The first religious services (Bap.) were held at the house of
Nathan Wisner, by Rev. Samuel Wisner, in 1806; the first church (Presb.) was formed in 1820.®
SHERI® AW —was formed from Pomfret and Hanover, April 16, 1827. It lies upon the
shore of Lake Erie, e. of the center of the co. The surface is level in the n. w., and hilly in the
s. e., with a gradual inclination toward the lake. A nearly perpendicular bluff, 50 to 100 ft. high,
extends along the lake shore. It is drained by Scotts Creek, and several smaller streams, flowing
into Lake Erie. The soil is a clay loam, mixed in some parts with gravel. Sliesridan Center
(p. v.) contains 2 churches and 20 dwellings. The first settlements were made on Lot 17, at the
center, by Francis Webber, from Mass., in 1804.7 The first religious meeting (Presb.) was held
at the house of Orsamus. Holmes, by Rev. John Spencer, in 1807; and the first church (Presb.)
was organized by Mr. Spencer, in 1816.8
SHERMASf9—was formed from Mina, April 17,1832. It is an interior town, lying s. w. of the
center of the co. The surface is rolling and hilly, broken by the deep ravines of the streams. It
is drained by French Creek and its tributaries. The soil is clay and' sandy loam. Considerable
lumber is manufactured in the town. Sherman, (p. v.,) in the n., contains 4 churches, a grist¬
mill, sawmill, and several manufacturing establishments. Pop. 401. Center Sherman is a
p.o. Pleasant Valley and Waits Corners are hamlets. In 1824,10 Alanson Weed setr
Lot 10, and Wm. Alexander, all of whom came in 1.804; Silas
Baird settled bn Lot 6, Oliver Loomis in town, in 1806; Chas.
Forsyth in 1808. The first school was taught by — Robertson a
little w. of Quincy, in 1810. The first inn was kept near fcho
State line, by Sam! Truesdail, in 1805.
6 The census reports 5 churches; 2 Presb., M. E., Bap., anu
1 Jerrard Griswold, John Walker, Orsemus and Alanson
Holmes, and Uriah Lee, from Eqstern New York, settled near
the center in 1804-05; Wm. Griswold, from Conn., on Lot 35, in
1805; and Rev. John Spencer, from Conn., at the center, in 18Q7-
The first birth was that of Jos. Ellicott, son of Alanson Holmes,
in the spring of 1805; the first marriage, that of Benj. Parrows
and Betsey Stebbins, in 1807-08; and the first death, that of
Alanson Holmes, in the fall of 1805. The first school was taught
by Wm. Griswold, in the winter of 1808-09, at his own house.
Orsemus Holmes kept the first inn, w. of the center, in 1808, and
Elisha Gray the first store, the same year. Haven Brigham built
the first gristmill, in 1807, on Brighams Creek.
8 The census reports 3 churches; Presb., Bap.; and Wes. Meth.
9 Named in honor of Roger Sherman, one of the signers of the
Declaration of Independence.
10 In the same, year, Harvey W. Goff settled on Lot 30, Lester
R. Dewey on Lot 31, Otis Skinner on Lot 32, and Hiram N
Gleason on Lot 24. The first child born was Amasa Dormas,
in 1824; the first marriage, that of Lester R. Dewey and Fanny
Patterson, in 1825; and the first death, that of —— Arnold, in
1826. Otis Skinner taught the first school, in his own house, in
1828. Josiah Keeler kept the first store and inn, on Lot 27, in
1827. Alanson Weed erected the first mill, on Lot 30 in 182a.
Low Minegar, Benj. Barrett, Zattu Cushing, —
Cole, and Geer settled, in 1804 and ’05, at and near
Fredonia. Timothy Goulding settled 1 mi. w. of the harbor, in
1S08. Solomon Chadwick located at Dunkirk in 1809, and ——
Gaylord, Daniel Pier, and Luther Goulding soon after. Samuel
Perry brought the first vessel into the harbor, in 1810. The
first death was that of a daughter of Oliver Woodcock, 12 years
of age, killed by the fall of a tree in 1808. The first school was
taught by Squire Perry, the first physician in the co. Thomas
MeClintock kept the first inn, in 1809, and E. Risley the first
store, in 1808, at Fredonia. Barker, Berry & Go. built the first
sawmill and gristmill, in 1807, on Canadaway Creek.
The census reports 11 churches; 3 Bap., 2 Prot. E., 2 Presb.,
2 M. E., Christian, and R. C.
8 In 1806, Nathan, Elisha, and Nath’l Fay settled on Lot 25,
Peter Kane on Lot 38, John Priee on Lot 34, David Eaton on Lot
37, and Benj. Hutchins in the same vicinity. The first birth
was that of George W. Dunn, Jan. 18, 1807; the first marriage,
that of Absalom Harris and Polly Kane, in 1810; and the first
death, that of Mrs. Nathan Fay, in 1807. The first school was
taught by Anna Eaton, on the premises of Capt. Dunn, in the
summer of 1810. The first inn was kept.near Centerville, by Capt.
Dunn, in 1806, and the first store by Thos. Klumph, in 1817, in
the w. part of the town. Moses Sage and Wm. DuDham built
the first sawmills, near the lake, shore. The first gristmill was
built at Salem.
Named in honor of Gen. Eleazur W. Ripley. Among the other