Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 202
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


202    CAYUGA COUNTY.

Owasco Italic is a p.o. The first settlements were made in 1790-91.1 The first religious
services were held by Elder David Irish (Bap.) about 1794.2 .

<JES@A—was formed as “Milton,” Jan. 27, 1789'; and its name was changed April 6, 1808.
Locke was taken off in 1802. It is the s. w. corner town of the co., lying upon the
e. bank of
Cayuga Lake, The surface is a rolling region, gradually rising from the lake to*i height of about
600 ft. and divided into ridges by the valleys of Big and Little Salmon Creek, which extend
through near the center.3 The declivities that border upon the streams in some places are steep
and 50 to 150 ft. high. The soil consists of a strip of clay along the banks of the lake, and a
deep, rich, gravelly loam in the other parts of the town. £Jeit©a, (p.v.,) on Big Salmon
Creek, contains 2 churches, 2 flouring mills, a tannery, and a furnace and machine shop. Pop.
350. ETortlaville (Kings Ferry p.
o.) is situated in the n. w. part of the town. Pop. 250.
Five Corners (p.v.) contains 35 dwellings. East Genoa (p.o.) is a hamlet. The first
settlements were made anterior to thb organization of the co. Jabez Bradley was the first settler,
at Northville. The census reports 6 churches in town.4

IKA—■was formed from Cato, March 16, 1821, and a part was annexed to Cato in 1824. It
lies upon the
e. border of the co., n. of the center. Its surface is rolling, the summits*of the
ridges being 50 to 75 ft. above the valleys and 225 to 275 feet above Lake Ontario. The streams
are small brooks and creeks. The soil is a sandy loam underlaid by red sandstone, and is very
productive. Ira Center., (p.v.,) the only village, contains 2 churches and 145 inhabitants.
The first settlements were made by David, Eleazur, and Andrew Stockwell, 3 brothers from White¬
hall, on Lot 58, Wm. Patterson, on Lot 32, and Henry Conrad, (a German,) on the same lot, all
in 1800.5 The first church (Cong.) was formed at Ira Corners, July 7, 1807, by Rev. Francis
Pomeroy; • Rev. Silas Barnes was the first preacher.6 Sletliei Corners is a p. o.

AHI57—was formed from Scipio, Jan.,30,1823. It lies upon the e. hank of Cayuga Lake,
s.w. of the center of the co. Its surface inclines toward the w.,its extreme
e. border being elevated
500 to 600 ft. .above the surface of the lake. The slopes of the hills are generally gradual, but are steep
in a few places. Its streams are small, rapid brooks, the principal of which is Paines Creek, flowing
through a narrow ravine in the s. part. The soil is a sandy and clayey loam, very fertile. Aurora,
(p.v.,) incorp. May 5,.1837, is beautifully located on the
e. bank of Cayuga Lake. Its fine situa-
tion and the comparative mildness of its climate have made it a place of considerable resort; and it
contains some of the finest residences to he found in the interior of the State. It is the seat of the
Cayuga Academy.8 Pop. 459. Talcotts Comers, (Ledyard p. o.,) near the s.
e. corner, con¬
tains 2 churches and 12 dwellings. Eevana (p. v.) is a steamboat landing, 2 mi.
n. of Aurora.
Pop. 106. Roswell Franklin, from Wyoming, settled at Aurora in 1789, and. was the first settler in
Cayuga co. Benj. Avery was the first settler at Talcotts Corners.9 Rev. Seth Williston (Presb.)
conducted the first religious services; and Rev. II. Woodruff was the first settled minister.10

LOCKE—was formed from “ Milton,”' (now Genoa,) Feb. 20, 1802. .Summer Hill was taken
off in 1831. It lies upon the, high ridges which border upon Owasco Inlet, in the s. part of the
co. The inlet flows through near the center in a deep, narrow valley bordered by steep hills,
rising 200 to 400 ft. above it. The summits of the hills spread out into a beautifully undulating

garet Noble, March 7, 1802; and the first death, that of the
wife of Rev. Silas Barnes, in 1802.

6 The census reports 5 churches; 2 M. E, and 1 each Bap.,
Presb., and Disciples.

1 Named from Benjamin Ledyard, agent and clerk for the dis¬
posal of the lands belonging to the Military Tract. The trace
of an ancient fortification is .found within this town. It stood
upon a hill between two ravines, and inclosed about 20 acres.
—Smithsonian Contributions, Vol. 77, Part VI, p. 63.

8 The Academy building stands upon an,eminence command¬
ing a fine view of the bay and lake. The institution has a well
selected library, competent teachers, and is in a prosperous
condition. The Gospel and School Lot No. 36 of this town hav¬
ing been given to Union College, Lot 89 was taken for school
purposes, and assigned to this academy.

9 Elisha Durkee, and Atwell and Edward Paine, settled at
Aurora in 1790. The first settler, Mr. Franklin, was in the battle
of Wyoming, at which his wife was killed and his yonngfest child
taken prisoner by the Indians. He died at Aurora in 1791,
under the weight of his- misfortunes. Betsey Durkee (npw Mrs.
Sweetland) was the first child born in town. The first inn was
kept by Joshua Patrick, at Aurora, in 1793, in a bouse still
standing. Abiathar Hull kept the first store, and T. Wheeler
erected the first mill, a little N. of Aurora.

10 The census reports 6 churches; 2 Friends, 2 M. E., Presb,
and Prot. E.


1

Among the early settlers were Benj. Irish, Joseph Drover,
Edward Wheeler, Ichabod and Abel Wilkinson, and James
Herrington. The first child horn was Aurelius Wheeler, in
1791; and the first death, that of Mrs. West, in 1792. John
Herring taught the first school, in 1794; Abel Wilkinson kept
the first inn, in 1792; and Joseph Grover the first store, in 1797.

2

There are 3 churches in town; Ref. Prot. D,_Bap, and M. E.
8 The s. part of the town was settled by emigrants mostly

3

from Penn, and N. J., and the n. part by emigrants from New
England. In 1800 the town had a pop. of 3,553; in 1810 it
rose to 5,425; in 1820, after its territory was reduced to its
present limits, the pop. was 2,585 ; and in 1855, 2,352.

4

Two Presb, 2 M. E, Cong, and Univ.

5

6 Among the other early settlers were Daniel Parker, on Lot

6

69, John C. Barnes and Rev. Silas Barnes, on Lot 70', and Zadock
Barnes, on Lot 83, all from Marcellus, and Edward Wood, from
Bennett, on Lot 89, in 1802; Archibald and Chas. Green, on Lot

7

70, in 1803; Eli Mattison and Abraham Willey, from Conn, on
Lot 34, Henry Ferris and his son, Augustus, from Saratoga co, on
Lot 71, in 1804; and Thos. Barnes, from Washington co , at Ira
Comers, in 1805. Dr. Squire, the first physician, taught the first

8

school, in 1805; Dayid Stockwell kept the first inn, in 1800;

9

Sam’l and Israel Phelps, the first store, at Ira Corners, in 1813;
and John Hooker erected the first gristmill, in 1818. The first
child born was Polly, daughter of David Stockwell, in April,

10

*"    : the first marriaee was that of Eleazur Stockwell and Mar-


PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2