Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 193
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


CATTARAUGUS COUNTY.

N. w. of the center of the co. The surface is .hilly, the highest elevations, in the s. e., being about
300 feet above the N. Y. & E. R. R. where it crosses the s. w. corner of the town. The s. branch of
Cattaraugus Creek flows w. through the
n. part, and several small streams s. into the Allegany.
The soil is a hard, clay loam on the uplands, and a gravelly loam in the valleys. Eddyville,
(p. o.,) in the
n. part, contains 2 churches, a sawmill, and 11 dwellings. The first settler was
Amos Morgan, who located in the s. part in 1817.1 The first church, (Bap.,) formed in 1828, has
since broken up.2

193


NAPOEI—was formed from Little Yalley, Jan. 20, 1823, as “ Cold Spring.” Its name was
changed April 15, 1828; and the present town of Cold Spring was taken off in 1837. Its surface
is a hilly upland, the highest summits being 600 feet above the valley. The principal stream is
Cold Spring Creek. The soil is a clay and gravelly loam. Napoli, (p.v.,) s. of the center,
contains a church and about a dozen houses. The first settlement was made on Lot 27, by Major
Timothy Butler, in 1818.3 The first religious meeting was held by Rev. John Spencer, in 1820.
’ The first church (Cong.) was.organized in 1820.4

NEW ALBlOEf—was formed from Little Yalley, Feb. 23, 1830. It is an interior town,
n. w. of the center of the co. The surface is a hilly upland. It is drained by streams fldwing into
Cattaraugus Creek on the
n. and'into the Allegany on the s. The soil is a clay loam on the hills,
and a gravelly loam in the valleys. New AlMoil, (p. v.,) a little s. of the center, contains 20
dwellings; Cattaraugus/ (p. v.,) in the n. part, contains a steam flouring mill and 50 dwell¬
ings. It is an important station upon the N. Y. & E. R. R., and has grown up since this road was
completed. The first settlement was made on the s.w. corner of Lot 57, by Matthew Dimmick, in
1818.® The first religious association (M. E.) was organized in 1830. There are 3 churches in
town, but no church edifice.7

©EE AN—was formed March 11,1808, and at first included the whole territory of Cattaraugus
co.
“Ischua ” new Franklinville, was taken off in 1812, a part of Perrysburgh in 1814, Great
Valley in 1818, Hinsdale in 1820, and Portville in 1837. It lies upon the s. line of the co., near
the s.
e. comer. The surface is a hilly upland, separated into two distinct parts by the valley of
the Allegany, The highest points are 500 to 600 feet above the valley. Lumbering is the leading
occupation, ©lean, (p.v.-,) on the Allegany, at the mouth of Olean Creek, was incorp. in 1854.
It contains 6 churches, the Olean Acad,emy,8 a newspaper office, a flouring mill, foundery, tannery,
and 3 sawmills. Pop. 994. It is a station upon the N. Y. & E. R. R., and an important commer¬
cial point upon the river; and it was for some years the southern terminus of the Genesee Yalley
Canal.9 The first settlement was made prior to 1805. In that year Robert Hoops, agent of Adam
Hoops, and David Heusten were residents near the river on small improvements, and must have
settled as early as 1804.10 The first church (M. E.) was formed in 1820.11

OTTO12—was formed from Perrysburgh, Jan. 29, 1823. East Otto was taken off in 1854, a

, 1 Among the other early settlers were Nathaniel Fish, Sewell

Gunn, and Bennett, who located in the s. part in 1817;

and Samuel L. Hollister, from Great Valley, who located in the
N. E. part in 1822. The first child born was Mahala Fish, Dee.
9,1820; and the first marriage, that of Prince W. Fish and Lois
Grover, Jan-1,1824. The first school was taught by Lefo chase,
in 1821. Nathaniel Fish kept the first inn, on the old Johnson
Boad, in the s.
e. part, in 1818, and Thos. H. McKay the first
store, in 1848, at Eddyville. The first sawmill was erected by
George and Munson Clark, in 1837, on the s. branch of Catta¬
raugus Creek.

2 The census reports 3 churches: M. E., F. W. Bap., and Univ.

3 In 1819, Geo. Hill located on Lot 29, Harvey Parmalee and
Harlow Butler on Lot 51, Sargent Morrill on Lot 50, and Timo¬
thy Boardnjan on Lot 43. The first child born was Joseph Foy,
in June, 1820; the first marriage, that of Dr. Noble and Statira
Canfield, in 1821; and the first death, that of a child of Timothy
Butler, in 1820. The first, school was taught by Fanny Board-
man, in the summer of 1819. Moses Cook kept the first store,
in 1826, and Eastman Prescott the first inn, in 1831. .fame's
Wait erected the first sawmill, in 1829, on a branch of Cold
Spring Creek.

* There are 4 churches in town; Cong., Bap., F. W. Bap., and
M. E.

6 Joseph Plumb, the owner of the lands on which the village
is built, deeded the lots with the condition on penalty of for¬
feiture that no intoxicating liquors should be sold on the pre¬
mises. It is, of course, a temperance village.

6 David Hammond, jr. located on Lot 33, and Jonathan Kinne-
cutt on Lot 10, in 1818; A. Smith Waterman on Lot 25, and
James GodArd on Lot 9. about the same time; Benj. Chamberlin
on Lot 1, and David Hill and John A. Kinnecutt on Lot 18, in
Dec. 1820; Robert and Timothy P. Gay subsequently located on

Lot 33. The first birth was in the family of Matthew Dimmick,
in Dec. 1818. Capt. Rosecrantz, an Indian trader, froze to death
in this town in the winter of 1810, while on his way from the
mouth of Cattataugus Creek to Olean. The first inn was kept
by Jas-Godard, on Lot 9, in 1819, and the first store byErastus
Hooth, in 1833, at the center. Matthew Nealy built the first
sawmill, on a s. branch of Cattaraugus Creek, and Charles Sib¬
ley the first gristmill, on Lot 49, in 1836.

7 M. E., Wes. Met®., and Prot. Meth.

8 The academic buildings were burned April 1,1856. The new
buildings are nearly ready for the reception of students.

9‘An act was passed in 1856 authorizing the extension of this
canal 7 mi. to tho Penn. line. The work is now in progress;
and, when completed, it will, in connection with slackwater
navigation upon the river, open a direct communication with
ihe coal mines of Penn.

10 John Brooks, James Green, Cornelius Brooks, Wm. Shepard,
and Willis Thrall located in 1806. Jas. G. Johnson was the first
settler in the village, in 1808. The first lumber was rafted down
the Allegany in 1807, by Bibbins Follet, Jedediah Strong, and
Dr. Bradley. The first birth in town was that of Olean, daughter
of Wm. Shepard, May 22, 1807; and the first death, that of Wm.

B. Shepard, Sept. 21,1809. Sylvanus Russell kept the first inn,
in 1808, at Olean Point, and LeVf Gregory the first store, in
1811, at Olean Village. Wm. Shepard and Willis Thrall erected
the first sawmill, in 1807, on Olean Creek; and Adam Hoops,
the first gristmill, in 1809, at the niouth of the Creek. Mr.
Hoops was a proprietor of lands and a pioneer settler. He had
served with distinction in the Continental army,—at one period
as aid to Gen. Washington.

11 There are now 7 churches in town; 2 Evan. Luth., M. E.,
Prot. E., Presb., Bap., and R. C.

12 Named from Jacob S. Otto, agent of the Holland Land Co.


13


PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2