182 BROOME COUNTY.
was made in 1785, by John Lamphere, from Watertown, Conn. The first religious services were
conducted by Rev. Joseph Badger, in 1793. There are 10 churches in town.1
CONKEIN2—was formed from Chenango, March 29, 1824. A part of Windsor was taken off
in 1831, and a part was annexed from Windsor in 1851. It lies upon the Susquehanna, s.
of the center of the eo. Its surface consists of the fine broad intervale of the river and high, broken
uplands which rise upon each side. The summits of the hills are 400 to 600 feet above the valley.
The declivities upon the w. side of the river are very steep, but upon the e. they are generally more
gradual. Little Snake Creek flows in an easterly direction through the s. w, part. Its valle
is narrow and, is bordered by steep hills. The soil upon the summits of the hills is a hard
clayey and gravelly loam largely intermixed with fragments of slate. In the valley the soil is a
deep, rich alluvium and gravelly loam. Kirkwood (p.v.) is situated on the e. bank of the
Susquehanna, in tbe s. part of the town. It is a station on the Erie R. R., and contains 25 houses.
Conklin Center and Corbettsville are p. offices, and Millburn and Conklin are
hamlets. At Millburn are extensive pyroligneous acid works., The settlement of the town was
commenced in 1788, at the mouth of Snake Creek, by Jonathan Bennett, Ralph Lathrop, and
Waples Hance.3 The first religious services were conducted by Revs. David Dunham and John
Leach, Methodist missionaries. There are 4.churches in town; M. E., Presb., Bap., and Christian.
CIS I.IP—was formed from Union, April 7, 1801. Nanticoke, Barker, and Triangle were taken
off in 1831. The line of Berkshire was altered in 1812, and a part was annexed to Union in 1827.
It is the n. w. corner town of the co. The surface is mostly a hilly and broken upland, divided by
the valley of Tioughnioga River into 2 unequal parts. The summits of the hills are 400 to 700 feet
above the river, and their declivities are generally steep. Dudley or Yorkshire Creek flows easterly
through near the center of the town, its narrow valley breaking the continuity of the w. ridge.
The soil along the valley is a rich, gravelly loam, but upon the hills it consists of clay and a slaty
gravel underlaid by hardpan. The declivities of the hills are usually too steep for easy culti¬
vation, and the soil upon the summits is a moist clay loam, better adapted to grazing than grain
growing. Eisle (p. v.) is situated on the w. bank of the Tioughnioga. It is a station on the S. B.
& N. Y. R. R., and contains about 30 houses. - The old Catskiil & Ithaca Turnpike, built in
1796, crossed the river at this point. Torkskire, (Center Lisle p.o.,) near the center of,the
town, contains about 30 houses. Killawog’, (p.o.,) in the n. part, on the Tioughnioga, is a
station on the S. B. & N- Y. R. R. The first settlement was made in 1791, by emigrants from.
N. E.5 The first religious services-were conducted in 1795, by Rev. Seth Williston. There are 5
churches in town.6 t
MAINE—was formed from Union, March 27, 1848. A part of Chenango was taken off in
1856. It is the central town upon the w. border of tbe co. Its surface consists of ranges, of hills
divided by numerous narrow valleys, the principal of which extends in a n. and s. direction.
These hills are 400 to 600 feet above the valley of Chenango River. The principal streams are
Nanticoke, Bradley, and Crocker Creeks. The soil is a gravelly loam largely intermixed with the
underlying slate. Maine, (p. v.,) situated on Nanticoke Creek, w. of the center, contains 3
churches. Pop. 220. East Maine is a p. o. The first settlement was made in May, 1797, by
Daniel Howard, Alfred and Russell Gates, and Winthrop Roe.7 There are 4 churches in town; 2
M. E., Bap., and Cong.
NANTICOKE8—was formed from Lisle, April 18; 1831. It lies upon the w. border^of
the co., N. of the center. Its surface consists of an upland broken by a few narrow ravines.
Merchant, Bateman S. Dickmson, Wilmot, Daniel uruiooi,
and Titus Humiston, in 1795; John Buggies and Isaac Tyrell, in
1796; and Eli Osbome and Peter Warn, in 1800. The first birth
was that of Louisa Badger, May 28,1788; the first death, that of
John Lamphere, the same year; and the first marriage, that of
Benj. Bird and Mrs. John Lamphere, in 1794. Benj. Bird kept
the first inn, in 1794, and Bateman S. Dickinson the first store,
in 1805. The first school was taught by Job Bunnel.
1 4 M. E., 2 Bap., 2 Union, Prot. E., Presb.
2 Named from Judge John Conklin, one of the early set¬
tlers. Kirkwood was taken off in 1859. 1
8 Among the early settlers were Gerret Snedaker, David
Bound, Daniel Chapman, Peter Wentz, Asa Rood, Nathaniel
Tagot, Asa Squires, John Bell, Silas Bowker, Joel Lamol eaux,
Abraham Sneden, David and Joseph Compton, Abraham Miller,
Ebenezer Park, Noel Carr, and Thos.- Cooper. The first birth
was that of William Wentz, Feb. 18, 1795; the first marriage,
that of Noel Carr and Sally Tousler. in 1803; and the first death,
that of Silas Bowker. The first gristmill was built at “ Fitchs
Creek,” in 1790. The first school was taught by George Lane, in
1801 * ^
4 Named from Lisle, in France.
6 Tlie first settlers were Josiah Patterson, Ebenezer Tracy,
Edward Edwards, David Manning, Elipliaiet Parsons, and
Whittlesey Gleason. The first birth was that of Henry Patter¬
son, in 1793; the first marriage, that of Solomon Owen and
Sylvia Cook; and the first death, that of Wright Dudley. The
first gristmill was built in 1800, by Jacob IlilL The first store
was kept by Moses Adams, and the first tavern bv O. Wheaton
6 2 Bap., Cong., Presb., and M. E.
7 Benjamin Norton settled in the town in 1798. The first birth
was that of Cynthia, daughter of Winthrop Iioe, in July, 1797.
The first school was taught by Betsey Ward, in 1802. Daniel
Howard built the first gristmill,in 1810 ; Jared Ketchum kept the
first store, in 1825, and Oliver Whitcomb tlie first tavern, in 1829.
8 This name is derived from the Indian name of Nanticoke