precipitous hills. Chenango River enters the co. from the and flows in a general southerly direc¬
tion until it enters the Susquehanna at Binghamton. A broad intervale extends along the lower
part of this river, but farther n. the high ridges shut close in on either side, confining the valley to
very narrow limits. The Tioughnioga enters the co. from Cortland and flows s. e. until it unites
with the Chenango at Chenango Forks. The valley of this river is very narrow, and is bordered
by high and steep hillsides. Otselic River, also from the N,., flows through a similar narrow
valley and. unites with the Tioughnioga at Whitneys Point. The other principal streams are
Oquaga Creek, a tributary of the Delaware, Okkanum, Little Snake, Little and Big Choconut, and
Nantico'ke Creeks, tributaries of the Susquehanna, and Castle Creek, tributary of the Chenango.
The soil along the river intervales is generally very fertile, consisting of deep, sandy and gravelly
loam mixed with disintegrated slate and vegetable mold. The narrow valleys of the smaller
streams are also fertile. The soil upon the n. and w. hills consists principally of gravelly loam
intermixed with clay and disintegrated shale, and is well adapted to grazing. The declivities of
the s. and e. hills are similar to the last in character, but their summits are generally covered with
clay and hardpan. The large proportion of upland and the unevenness of the surface render this
co. best adapted to pasturage. While all branches of agriculture are pursued, fruit raising, and stock
and wool growing, in connection with the products of the dairy, form the leading interests. A
limited amount of manufacturing is carried on at Binghamton and several other places.
The co. seat is located at Binghamton, at the junction of the Chenango and Susquehanna Rivers.1
The courthouse, situated at the head of Chenango St., fronting.Court St., is a fine stone and brick
edifice, with a Grecian portico in the Ionic style. It contains the usual co. offices, and in many
respects is a model building.2 The jail is on Hawley St., at a little distance from the court¬
house.3 A fireproof co. clerk’s office is situated adjacent to the courthouse. The co. poorhouse is
located upon a farm of 130 acres 3 mi. n. of Binghamton. The average number of inmates is
45, kept at a weekly cost of $1 08 each, exclusive of the products of the farm, which are estimated
at $800 per annum. The children are sent to the district school, and when of proper age are bound
out. No religious instruction is afforded. The sexes are kept in separate buildings, and the general
arrangement of the institution is such as to secure the health and comfort of the inmates.
The principal works of internal improvement are the Chenango Canal, connecting the Susque¬
hanna River at Binghamton with the Erie Canal at Utica; the N. Y. & Erie R. R., and the
Syracuse, Binghamton & N. Y. R. II.4 These various routes furnish all necessary facilities for
traveling and commercial purposes, and bring the agricultural lands of the co. into close proximity to
the great Eastern markets.5 Several plank roads have been built; but they are now mostly abandoned.
There are 6 newspapers published in the co.6
Tlie Broome Republican was established at Bing¬
hamton in 1822, by Maj. Augustus Morgan. It was
published by Morgan until 1824, by Morgan & Catioll
until 1828, by Evans & Canoll until 1835, by Canoll &
Cooke until 1839, when it passed into the hands of
Davis ■& Cooke. It was continued by T. Cooke .until
1848, and by E. R. Colston until 1849. It subsequently
became the property of Wm. Stuart, and is now pub¬
lished daily and weekly.
The Evening Express, d., was issued from the Republican office
The Daily Iris was started in 1849, by Wm. Stuart and, E- T.
Evans. It was soon after changed to
Tlie Binghamton Daily Republican, and is still
published by Wm. Stuart.
The Broome Co. Courier was started in 1831, by J. R. Ortoii, and
was continued by him until 1837. , It then successively
passed into the hands of Sheldon & Marble; I. C. Shel¬
don; E. P. Marble; E. P. & J. W. Marble; and Marble
& Johnson. In 1843 it was changed to
The Binghamton Courier and Broome Co. Democrat, and was
published by J. & C. Orion. In 1846 it. passed into the
hands of N. S. Davis. In 1849 it passed into the hands
of J. K. Dickinson and was changed to
The Binghamton Democrat. It is now published
by Adams & Lawyer.
The Iris, semi-mo., was started in July, 1839, by C. P. Cooke.
In July, 1841, it was purchased by Edwin T. Evans, and
by him it was enlarged, and published weekly until 1853,
when it 'was merged in the Binghamton Republican.
The Binghamton Standard was started in Nov. 1853,
by J. Van Yalkenburgh, and is still published.
The Binghamton Mercury, semi-mo., was issued a short time by
The Susquehanna Journal, started in Oct. 1853, by W. H. Pearne,
was merged in the Broome Republican in 1855.
The Broome Co. American was started in May, 1855, by Ransom
The Union News was established at Union in 1851, by
Binghamton (then “Chenango Point”) was a half-shire of
Tioga co. previous to the erection of Broome co. The co. was
divided into 2 jury districts in 1801, and a courthouse was built
in 1802. Previously the courts had been held a part of the time
at the house of J. Whitney, in Binghamton. A courthouse
was built in 1826, which was superseded by a new and elegant
brick edifice in 1857. The first co. officers were John Patterson,
First Judge; James Stoddard, Amos Patterson, Daniel Hudson,
Geo. Harper, and Mason Wattles, Associate- Judges■; Ashbel
Wells, Co. Clerk; and Wm. Woodruff, Sheriff. The first court
was held on the 2d Tuesday of May, 1806.
This building was erected in 1857, at a cost of $32,000. It
is 96 feet long by 58 wide. The front is ornamented by a portico
supported by 4 Ionic pillars 6 feet in diameter and 36 feet high.
The basement is built of stone and the upper stories of brick.
The rooms are all large; convenient, and well ventilated.
The portion of the jail containing the cells was built in 1858,