174 ALLEGANY COUNTY.
dwellings; and Ceres, (p. v.,) on the s. line, a church and 12 dwellings. The first settlement
was made on Genesee Creek, on Lot 3, in the e. part of the town, in 1823, by Jabez Burdick, from
Rensselaer co.1 The first religious services (Seventh Day B&p.) were held by Rev. John Green,
in 1826; and the first church (Seventh Day Bap.) was organized, in 1827, by Rev. Henry P. Green.2
GRAMGER—was formed from Grove, as “ West Grove,” April 18, 1838. Its name was
changed March 6,1839. It is the central town upon the n. border of tbe co. It is a hilly upland,
divided into several distinct ridges. Genesee Riverj forming a portion of the w. boundary, ia
bordered by abrupt hillsides 600 to 800 feet high. The soil is a clayey loam upon the hills, and a
gravelly loam in the valleys. Short Tract is a p. o. in the s. part of the town, Granger a
p. o. in the n., and Grove a p. o. in the E. The first settlement was made near Short Tract, in
Eeb. 1816, by Reuben Wilcox, Isaac Smith, and Rufus Trumbull, from Vt., and Elias Smith, from
Otsego co.3 The first religious meeting was held at the house of Elias Smith, in 1818, by Rev.
Mr. Hill, (M.E.;) and the first church (M. E.) was organized about 1830.3
GROVE—was formed from Nunda, (Livingstonco.,) March 8,1827, as “Church Tract” Its
name was changed in 1828, and Granger was taken off in 1838. It lies upon the N. border of the
co., near the n. e. corner. Its surface is a hilly upland, divided into several distinct ridges. A
valley in the e. part is known as Chautauqua Yalley. Branches of Black and Canaseraga Creeks
form the drainage. The soil upon the hills is a clay loam underlaid by hardpan, and in tbe
valleys a gravelly loam. Swalnsville is a p. o. on the r. r., in the e. part of the town, and
Chautauqua Valley a. p. o. on the r. r., in the n. e. part. Grove Center is a hamlet.
John White, from Herkimer co., made the first settlement, in May, 1818, in the n. w. part.4 The
first religious meeting (M. E.) was held at the house of Mr. White, by Rev. Cyrus Story, in 1820;
and tbe first church (M. E.) was formed in the White Settlement, in 1821~6
HEME—was formed from Pike, (Wyoming co.,) Feb. 20, 1822. It lies upon the n. border
of the co., w. of the center. Its surface is a hilly upland. -Genesee River flows through the s. e.
corner and forms a portion of the e. boundary. It is bordered by abrupt hills rising to a height
of 400 to 700 feet. The other principal streams are Six Town and Cold Creeks. The soil is a
gravelly and clayey loam. Cold Creek, (Hume p.'o.,) near the center of the town, contains 2
churches, a saw and grist mill, and about 300 inhabitants; Fillmore, (p.v.,) a canal village at
the mouth of Cold Creek, contains- a church, a saw and grist mill, and 372 inhabitants. Wis-
coy, on Wiscoy Creek, and Mill’s Mills, in the n. fj&rt, are p. offices. Mixville, at the
mouth of Wiscoy Creek, contains a church, saw and grist mill, and 200 inhabitants. An immense
water-power at this place is but little used. The first settlement was made at Mill's Mills, in 1807,
by Roger Mills, from Montgomery eo.7 The census reports 5 churches in town.8
IMREPEMREMCE—was formed from Alfred, March 16, 1821. Andover was taken off in
1824, and a part of Willing in 1851. It is the s. e. corner town in the co. The surface is a moun¬
tainous upland, broken by deep, narrow valleys. The highest summits are 800 to 1,200 ft. above
the valleys. The streams are Cryder and Chenunda Creeks. The soil is principally a gravelly
loam with sections of sand. Whitesviiie, (p.v.,)s.E.of the center, contains 2 churches and several
mills and manufacturing establishments. Pop. 220. Spring' Mills, (p.v.,) in the s. e. corner,
contains several mills and 14 dwellings; Greens Corners, (Independence p. o.,) in the n. part,
contains a church and 16 dwellings. The first settlement was made in 1798, by John Cryder, who
built a house, a sawmill, and made other improvements, and soon after abandoned them and left
the country. The first permanent settlement was made by Samuel S. White, from Madison co.,
1819. Elias Smith kept the first inn, in 1819, and the first store,
in 1820. Isaac Van Nostraud erected the first gristmill, in 1831,
and the first sawmill, in 1823.
* The census reports 2 churches; M. E. and Wes. Meth,
6 In the same year Alex. Bailey, from Vt., settled near Mr.
White. The first child horn was Laura Bailey, Dec. 25,1820;
and the first marriage, that of Elijah White and Lucy Dana,' in
1822. The first school was taught by Emily Page, in 1826.
Henry Andrews kept the first inn, in 1828, in the n. w. corner,
and Thayer & Smith the first store, at or near the same place, in
1825. John S. Culver erected the first sawmill, in the n. part.
8 There are 4 churches in town; 3 M. E. and Bap.
? the first school was taught in the barn of Roger Mills, jr., in
the summer of 1812, by Caroline Russell, from Montgomery co.
Geo. Mills kept the first inn, at Mills Mills, in 1815, and Elisha
Mills the first store, at the same place, in 1809. Roger Mills
erected the first sawmill, in 1807, and the first gristmill, in 1808.
8 Cong., Bap., F. W. Bap., M. E., and Wes. Meth.
Roswell Streeter, from Rensselaer co., settled in 1825, and
Ezekiel Crandell and Joseph Wells, from R. I., in 1826, on Wind¬
fall and Genesee Greeks. Joseph Maxson, from R. I., and John
Cook, settled in the W. part in 1827. The first child bora was
Edward W. Burdick, in 1826; the first marriage, that of Joseph
Allen and Phebe Maxson, in the same year; and the first death,
that of Arvilla Burdick, in 1824. The first school was taught
by Henry P. Green, near the mouth of Windfall Creek, in the
winter of 1826-27. Lewis P. Coon kept the first inn, in 1842, at
Genesee Valley, and Albert Langworthy the first store, in 1831.
The first sawmill was built on Genesee Creek, by Newman Crab¬
tree, in 1820. No liquor license has ever been granted in the
town; and it is claimed that no inhabitant has ever been sent to
a prison or a poorhouse.
The census reports 3 churches; all Seventh Day Bap.
1817; and the first death, that of Olive Linee. in 1817. The first
school was taught in the Smith Settlement, by Miss WiUiams, in