Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 067
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


Throop Avenue to Division^ venue in.............. April, 1855

67


KAIL ROADS.

upon several occasions loaned its credit to R. companies by issuing stock and retaining a lien
upon the roads, which in some cases was afterward relinquished, and in others sacrificed by sale
at nominal prices.


Hamilton Avenue Route, Court St. to Ferry in May, 1855
This road is used for passengers only, and
horse power is exclusively employed.

36th St. to City Line...................................... July, 1855

Bushwick Creek to Kent St. in....................... Oct. 1855

Kent St. to Furman St. in.............................. Bee. 1855

City Line to Yellow Hookland in..................... July, 1856

Brooklyn «fc Jamaica Rail Road.. Con pany formed
April 25, 1832. In 1836 the road was leased to the Long
Island R. R. Co. for the term of its charter. The lessees
built a tunnel 2.550 feet long under Atlantic St., bought
access to the river, erected buildings and docks at a cost of
over $300,000, and have since maintained and operated the
road in connection with the Long Island R. R., of which it
is virtually a part.

Buffalo, Bradford, <to Pittslmrgli Rail Road

Co. was formed--- 1859, by the consolidation of the

Buffalo & Bradford and Buffalo & Pittsburgh R. R’s.

Buffalo dNew York City Rail Road, formerly Attica & Hornells-
villeR.R. Articles filed Jan. 22, 1851. 31 mi. sold to Buf¬
falo, New York, & Erie R, R. Oct. 31, 1857, and name
changed to

Buffalo, New York, <&■ Erie Rail Road.

Stations and Distances. (Official.)

Distances in' Miles.

Stations,

Between

Stations.

From

Buffalo.

From

Corning.

Buffalo dr Corning.

0

0

141.57

1

1

140.57

9.45

4.05

4.95

10.45

131.12

14.5

127.07

19.45

122.12

5.47

6.14

3.40

7.20

5.60

4.32

24.92

116.65

31.06

110.51

Alexander.......................

34.46

41.66

107.11

99.91

47.26

94.31

51.58

89.99

Caledonia.......................*

7.31

6.93

58.89

65.82

82.68

75.75

9.05

2.56

3.64
3.71

6.65

74.87

77.43

81.07

66.7

64.14

60.5

84.78

56.79

91.43

50.14

4.76

5.91

96.19

45.38

102.1

’ 39.47

4.36

4.87

2.88

106.46

35.11

111.33

30.24

114.21

27.36

3.64

117.85

23.72

. 3.77
6.15
4.71
1.67
2.60
3.22
1.60

121.62

19.95

127.77

13.8

132.48

9.09

134.15

7.42

• 136.75

4.82

139.97

1.6

141.57

0

432.63

291.06

Rochester Division,

From

Rochester.

,From
Avon.

0

0

18.25

8.45

8.45

9.8

3.27

11.72

6.53

2.27

13.99

4.26

Avon

4.26

18.25

0

Horndlsville Division.

From

Attica.

From,

Hornells-

ville.

0

0

60.26

6.87

6.87

53.39

4.33

11.2

49.06

5.78

16.98

43.28

- 6.77
2.76

23.75

36.51

20.51

33.75

Portage..................-........

3.61

30.12

30.14

-------2670T

24

X'llllllS ZLUUuv, .................

2.07

54.1ST

36.26

7.17

4.43

43.43

16.83

47.86

51.96

12.4

4.10

8.3

8J1Q .

60.96

— - 0 ...

Buffalo d State Line Rail Road. Company formed June 6,
1849. Road opened from Dunkirk to the State Line Jan. 1,
1852, and to Buffalo Feb. 22 following. The Company pur¬
chased the North East (Penn.) R. R. under act of April 13,
1857, and now form one company from Buffalo to Erie, Penn.
It is now operated under the name of

Buffalo and Erie Rail Road.

Stations and Distances. (Official.)

Distances in Miles.

Stations.

Between

Stations.

From

Buffalo.

From
Erie,Penn.

0

0

88

10

10

78

5

15

73

6

21

67

5

26

62

3

29

59

2

31

57

7

40

48

8

48

40

2

50

38

7

57

31

5

62

26

3

65

23

3

68

20

20

88

0

Canandaigua d Corning Rail Road. Company incorporated May

11,1845 ; capital $1,600,000 Time extended April 15,1847,
and again March 24,1849. Surveys were begun June, 1845,
and the construction in Aug. 1850. Road opened from
Canandaigua to “
Jefferson” (iiow Watkins) 4,6^ mi., Sept.
15,1851, the New York
& Erie R.R. furnishing engines, cars,
&e., for a specific rate per mile. The road was allowed to con¬
nect with the Chemung R. R. at Jefferson, and to change
name Sept. 11,1852, to Canandaigua and Elmira R. R.

Canandaigua dr Elmira Rail Road, changed from Canandaigua
& Corning R. R. Sept. 11,1852. Leased the Chemung R. R.
llfiPo mi. and 4 mi. of Erie R.R. Sold to parties in Elmira,
Penn Yan, and Providence, R. I. April 23,1857, and possession
given May 1. Price $35,000, subject to $500,000 due bond¬
holders, and name changed to the Elmira, Canandaigua, &
Niagara Falls R. R. the next day.

Canandaigua dr Niagara FaUs Rail Road. Company incorporated
Dec. 10, 1850; capital $1,000,000. Road opened to Batavia,
50 mi., Jan. 1,1853, to Niagara Falls 47 mi. July 1,1853, and
to Suspension Bridge 1| mi. April 1, 1854. Sold March 22,
1857, to Jas. M. Brown and others, and name changed to
Niagara Bridge
& Canandaigua R. R. Now leased and run
by New York Central R. R.

Cayuga & Susquehanna Rail Road, formerly
the Ithaca &Owego R. R.,was chartered Jan. 28,1828,—the
second R.R. charter granted in the State. The road was opened
in April, 1834. An inclined plane at Ithaca rose 1 foot in
4^ ft. and stationary horse power was used for drawing
up the cars. Above this was another inclined plane, that
rose one foot in 21 ft., on which horse power was used. The'
road was subsequently sold by the Comptroller on stock
issued by the State, on which the company had failed to pay
interest. A new company was organized and the present
name assumed April 18, 1843; the road was reconstructed,
the inclined planes were done away with, and Jan. 1,1855, it
was leased to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western R. R.
Co., and is operated by them as the Cayuga Division. This
is an important route from the coal mines of Penn., and coal
forms the principal item of business.

Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Rail Road.

Stations and Distances. (Official.)

Distances in Miles.

Stations.

Between

Stations.

From

Ithaca

Pier.

From,

Owego.

0

0

35

2

2

33

13

15

20

6

21

14

4

25

10

6

31

4

4

35

0

Chum plain <fc St. Lawrence Rail Road. Com¬
pany formed Feb. 26,1851. The Road extends from Rouses
Point to the Canada line 2J miles, and is leased to a road in
Canada of the same name, which extends to St. Johns and
13 Trail it. oppocito Montreal,..______






PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2