Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
ST. GEORGE. - 495
Sagadahoc River is the stream formed by the union of
the Kennebec and Androscoggin, and extends from Merrymeeting Bay
to the ocean. This was the Indian name for this stream and its vicin-
ity. Generally, however, the name Kennebec is applied to it quite to
the sea, implying that the Androscoggin is a mere tributary to the
somewhat larger Kennebec.
St. Albans is situated in the south-eastern part of Somerset
County, bordering on Penobscot County. It is bounded on the north
by Ripley, east by Corinna, south by Palmyra, and west by Hartland
and Harmony. Its area is 23,040 acres. The surface is undulating,
and the soil is generally fertile. Nearly in the centre of the town is
Indian Pond, with its length north-east and south-west. In the same
line north-eastward is Little Indian Pond. Moose pond forms upward
of one half of the western boundary. St. Albans village, the principal
business centre, lies at the outlet of Indian Pond, at the south-western
extremity. The manufactories at this place consist of a saw-mill for long
lumber, and shingle and grist mills, a shovel-handle and sash and door-
factories, and others of less extent. St. Albans is 22 miles east by
north-east from Skowhegan. It is 10 miles from the Maine Central Rail-
road station at Pittsfield on the stage line from that place to Harmony.
This township was purchased of the State of Massachusetts in 1799
by Dr. John Warren, of Boston, and was settled during the following
year. It was incorporated June 14,1813. There are Congregationalist,
Free Baptist, Methodist and Friend societies in the town. The public
schoolhouses number 15, and the school property is valued at $5,575.
The population in 1870 was 1,675. In 1880 it was 1,394. The valua-.
tion in 1870 was $420,233. In 1880 it was $418,931.
St. Francis Plantation lies at the southern point of the
notch in the northern border of Aroostook County. St. John Planta-
tion bounds it on the east. The St. John River forms the northern line,
running in a north-eastern course. The St. Francis River comes in the
northern side of St. John, about midway of the town. The latter river
at this point broadens, and contains several islands. The plantation
is connected with Fort Kent by a stage-line.
St. Francis was settled by Acadian and Canadian French. It
has one public schoolhouse, valued at $100. The population in 1870
was 253. In 1880 it was 299. The valuation in the latter year was
St. George is the most southerly town of Knox County. It
embraces the southern and larger part of a long and broad peninsula
formed by St. Georges River on the west and the ocean on the east.
It is bounded on the north by South Thomaston. The area is 11,026
acres. It includes Metinic, Elwell and Georges Islands. Tennants
Harbor is the principal village. Others aie St. George, South St.
George, Martinsville and Clarks Island. At South St. George some
ship building is done ; other productions are ice and canned lobsters.
At Tennants Harbor, is a large sail loft; and in this vicinity the Long
Cove and the Clarks Island granite companies, and others, have their
business. Tennants Harbor and Port Clyde each have a marine
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2