Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
OLD ORCHARD BEACH. 407
and at the south-east are Skitacook and Mud lakes. On the stream
discharging Spaulding into Long Lake is a lumber mill. Thomas
Brook, near its mouth, affords an excellent power.
This plantation was organized April 17, 1866. The Methodists and
Baptists have societies here. The number of public schoolhouses is
six; and the value of the school property is $1,500. The population in
1870 was 559. In 1880 it was 636. The valuation in 1870 was $25,068.
In 1880 it was $41,100.
Ocean Point,—a post-office in Lincoln County
Ocean ville,—a small village and post-office on Deer Isle, in
Ogrunquit,—a post-office in Wells, York County.
Olamon,—a post-office and a station on the European and
North American Railway, in Greenbush, Penobscot County.
Old Orchard Beach lies between Wood Island Light
at the mouth of the Saco River and Prouts Neck in Scarborough.
This beach has been called the finest in New England. Its actual
limits are from near the mouth of tbe Saco to Pine Point near the
mouth of Scarborough River, having the form of the arc of a circle.
At low tide the beach is about 300 feet in width, of fine, hard, smooth
sand, at no point wholly interrupted by rocks for the whole distance of
9 miles, and affording an excellent drive-way ; while from the absence
of undertow, the surf-bathing is perfectly safe. It is reached by stage
from Saco, and by the cars of the Eastern and the Boston and Maine
railroads. A branch of the Eastern road has now been extended
southward along the beach for 3 miles to Bay View at the mouth of
the Saco, where connection is made with the Pool in Biddeford by
means of a ferry-boat, and with Saco and Biddeford at the falls by
steamers. The two latter afford a convenient means of viewing the
river scenery, the buildings and the beach. Near the hotels and a
little back from the shore, is a beautiful forest park of 30 acres, with
pleasant paths, arbors and rustic adornments. About 2 miles towards
Saco on Fox wells Brook is a picturesque waterfall about 40 feet in
perpendicular height. Half a mile south of the large hotels is the pic-
turesque camp-meeting ground of the Methodists. It is situated in a
hollow among hillocks, and beneath the shade of noble trees growing
in a thick grove. JBetween the camp-ground and the beach, scattered
over rocky knolls, is a village of summer cottages owned by the breth-
ren who annually sojourn in the place through the weeks of religious
and temperance meetings. At the beach and its neighborhood are a
large number of public houses, from the country tavern to the palatial
hotel of 500 rooms, furnished in the best manner, and supplied with
all the latest appliances for comfort and entertainment.
This beach received its name from an orchard set by Thomas Rogers
who settled here in 1638. His farm, near Goose Fare Brook, became
of so much importance that the early geographers of Maine designated
it on their maps as Rogers Garden. The trees that he planted re-
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2